Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Well, he's not Superman without that culture.

But I always thought it would be funny to go full tilt and explain that the 'S' is for savior to make everyone uncomfortable and realize it can afford to scale back
    I actually would prefer that..Blunt honesty and directness.If that was the way it's done and a credible opposition would be inevitable and will come out.
    Superman goes "i am thy lord and savior"
    Manchester be goes "piss off old man"
    Lex goes "what an imbecile"
    I much prefer that kinda irreverence and mixed with clark going his jesus shtick.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

I don't know about that. He was Superman for a decade before they ever brought up the planet or it's culture.

As for the symbol I prefer that its entire meaning be created by Clark. He's Superman, not just because the Kents raised him or because he was born on Krypton but as a result of his own innate personality.

Retired

Since this idea of the "S" being a Krypton symbol was introduced in a movie--even if it was a very good movie--I'm inclined not to like it. I always get my back up when movies and T.V. shows give me a contrary version from what's in the comics I love.

Mind you, I think SMALLVILLE made it seem like the "S" could be for Smallville (Smallville Crows to be exact). Which I can more easily accept. It would appeal to Clark's sense of irony to use the symbol from his home school--while at the same time cognizant that the "S" could stand for a multitude of other things.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Honestly I have a lot of respect for the first movie but I don't even like it that much to be honest. It's this massive cultural thing and that's nice, but I'd rather have had the comics suddenly command all of that attention instead. That generations have come around and said "let's make this comic like the movie because it works better that way" has always bummed me out.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I actually would prefer that..Blunt honesty and directness.If that was the way it's done and a credible opposition would be inevitable and will come out.
    Superman goes "i am thy lord and savior"
    Manchester be goes "piss off old man"
    Lex goes "what an imbecile"
    I much prefer that kinda irreverence and mixed with clark going his jesus shtick.
    Haha, maybe they can afford to make the villains more sympathetic that way. If Clark's personality really sucks but he still does good deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I don't know about that. He was Superman for a decade before they ever brought up the planet or it's culture.

As for the symbol I prefer that its entire meaning be created by Clark. He's Superman, not just because the Kents raised him or because he was born on Krypton but as a result of his own innate personality.
    Whether you prefer that his career started as a child, teen, in Metropolis, etc. the thing is that without Krypton he'd have been stuck gesturing like the Vincent Vega meme if it wasn't for Krypton. How ever he finds out his culture, if he ever does, we know that he is who he is because of his home planet.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Amazing Member

The letter 'S' has mind-controlled Superman into promoting it above other letters.

Technically, he's not Superman without that biology - the culture itself isn't necessary. It's a great feature, but not necessarily vital to his powers and convictions.

But I always thought it would be funny to go full tilt and explain that the 'S' is for savior to make everyone uncomfortable and realize it can afford to scale back
    Lol! If that's what it takes for no one to ever... *ever* go the route Snyder and Singer did with that crap, I could stomach it.... as long as it's fully and completely retconned after.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/