Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Forget Batman, would he share it with the world? You'd invite such questions if Superman invented some brand new fabric that could have far-reaching global applications.
    That’s a question baked into superheroes as a concept. If the JL has FTL capable spaceships why is humanity still primarily Earth based? How come people haven’t started terraforming and settling Mars or the Moon? Once the super geniuses start surpassing the tech we currently have available there’s really no way the setting can realistically stay “the world outside your window”.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

It's a Superman's symbol. I've never been found of the house of El crest or the Kryptonian symbol of hope. Two main reasons: The symbol of hope is way too on the nose for me and it's corny, not in a good way. As for the House of El crest, it doesn't make sense because Superman shouldn't be defined by culture he never experienced.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    As for the House of El crest, it doesn't make sense because Superman shouldn't be defined by culture he never experienced.
    Not saying I necessarily disagree regarding the overall crest point, but it could be said that Kal-El did experience Kryptonian culture in the arms and care of his birth parents on Krypton (the fruit of Krypton's advanced culture, a ship, brought him to Earth), that he even carries Krypton/its culture in his very DNA, not to mention the Kryptonian elements of The Fortress, etc.

I'm sure there are many people out there that were, at a young age, removed (for one reason or another, for both good and terrible reasons) from their birth culture/community and yet still later chose to be or felt a lot defined by that culture/community.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-17-2023 at 02:14 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s a question baked into superheroes as a concept. If the JL has FTL capable spaceships why is humanity still primarily Earth based? How come people haven’t started terraforming and settling Mars or the Moon? Once the super geniuses start surpassing the tech we currently have available there’s really no way the setting can realistically stay “the world outside your window”.
    Maybe it is too expensive. Maybe the materials to built such machines can't be found or manufactured on earth. Maybe there other interests involved. You always can found an explanation when you seach for them.
    We always could seek an ethical answer in Eliott S. Maggin's "There must be a Superman?"

Back on topic, if the "S" is native of Krypton, then are variants allowed or that is exclusively of the earth origin of the symbol? Must the "S" be the same from the beginning or it is allowed to be changed in some way?

b923ce0b7ef440bb4e7c3ea109779834.jpg
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Maybe it is too expensive. Maybe the materials to built such machines can't be found or manufactured on earth. Maybe there other interests involved. You always can found an explanation when you seach for them.
    We always could seek an ethical answer in Eliott S. Maggin's "There must be a Superman?"

Back on topic, if the "S" is native of Krypton, then are variants allowed or that is exclusively of the earth origin of the symbol? Must the "S" be the same from the beginning or it is allowed to be changed in some way?

b923ce0b7ef440bb4e7c3ea109779834.jpg
    This is where I'm iffy about the Kryptonian origin. A homemade symbol makes it easier to change. I always thought it was odd that Superman and Supergirl had different shapes. Especially in the TV show.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

A superman being on earth would change things for better or for worse...if it doesn't it ain't no superman.Also,this billing as "world outside of our window" started by marvel is bogus.Their world has killer robots,mutants and junk.Gotham is gothic and stylised.Some versions are just realistic and corrupt like nolan verse.Most like batman stories better than dcu and nobody found relatability issues.

This idea that dc has to be "world outside our window" doesn't make any sense.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Not saying I necessarily disagree regarding the overall crest point, but it could be said that Kal-El did experience Kryptonian culture in the arms and care of his birth parents on Krypton (the fruit of Krypton's advanced culture, a ship, brought him to Earth), that he even carries Krypton/its culture in his very DNA, not to mention the Kryptonian elements of The Fortress, etc.

I'm sure there are many people out there that were, at a young age, removed (for one reason or another, for both good and terrible reasons) from their birth culture/community and yet still later chose to be or felt a lot defined by that culture/community.
    Sure, many facades of African culture have been adopted into Black culture, but many of us still identity as Americans. However, for Superman, it's kinda different. He lost his whole planet, he didn't know had existed until 18 (depending on the story). For Clark he's studying history. I'll controversially claim you can reboot Superman and spend a good thirty year without ever mentioning or bringing Krypton and the character would still be the same as he would be today. Yes, that would involve getting rid of Kara or sending her to Earth with Clark as a baby in the birthing Matrix, where she spent years growing until she awoke at 15.

For Clark he's studying history. I'll controversially claim you can reboot Superman and spend a good thirty year without ever mentioning or bringing Krypton and the character would still be the same as he would be today. Yes, that would involve getting rid of Kara or sending her to Earth with Clark as a baby in the birthing Matrix, where she spent years growing until she awoke at 15.
    Yeah, a lot of the Krypton lore is a series of conflicting retcons anyways. If you're showing Clark on Earth, you don't even need to mention it.

Retired

Hebrew is an abjad script meaning it only has consonants--although modern Hebrew adds some vowels to help the reader sound out the words. So Jerome Sieg-L might have been thinking of the Hebrew he learned when he came up with Jor-L. Of course that was only for the comic strip. George Lowther changes it to Jor-el in his novel, THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (1942). Then MORE FUN COMICS 101 (January-February 1945) gives it as Jor-El. That story was written by Jerry Siegel in 1940--however, Don Cameron fleshed out Siegel's script for MORE FUN, so Don might've changed the name.

The idea that the original Superman was Kal-L, son of Jor-L, is a bit of retroactive continuity--since that was never really stated in the original comic books. It became a fact in the 1970s for the Earth-Two Superman.

Still, I kind of like the idea that the House names could all be simple consonant letters. Although, that would limit how many names there could be--if writers only used the consonants in the Roman alphabet. And then there would be the problem with Van-Z. People in the U.S.A. would say Van-"Zee"--while people in the rest of the English-speaking world would say Van-"Zed."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Hebrew is an abjad script meaning it only has consonants--although modern Hebrew adds some vowels to help the reader sound out the words. So Jerome Sieg-L might have been thinking of the Hebrew he learned when he came up with Jor-L. Of course that was only for the comic strip. George Lowther changes it to Jor-el in his novel, THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (1942). Then MORE FUN COMICS 101 (January-February 1945) gives it as Jor-El. That story was written by Jerry Siegel in 1940--however, Don Cameron fleshed out Siegel's script for MORE FUN, so Don might've changed the name.

The idea that the original Superman was Kal-L, son of Jor-L, is a bit of retroactive continuity--since that was never really stated in the original comic books. It became a fact in the 1970s for the Earth-Two Superman.

Still, I kind of like the idea that the House names could all be simple consonant letters. Although, that would limit how many names there could be--if writers only used the consonants in the Roman alphabet. And then there would be the problem with Van-Z. People in the U.S.A. would say Van-"Zee"--while people in the rest of the English-speaking world would say Van-"Zed."
    In that one Van-Zee and Dru-Zod would be the same though

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This is where I'm iffy about the Kryptonian origin. A homemade symbol makes it easier to change. I always thought it was odd that Superman and Supergirl had different shapes. Especially in the TV show.
    And this is where I think someone, maybe just in an AU, should explore the idea of personalized Kryptonian heraldry, and maybe give Lara that legacy for her son as a Kryptonian “humanities” expert who gave Kal his own crest, and who’s AI maybe endorses personalization for others.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate, it's a fictional alien species that look just like us but come from an awful, dying world with wildly different compositions of atmosphere, flora, and fauna. The culture rules are whatever the writer wants them to be, and explaining why the family crest is different for different characters/eras is a simple handwave of whatever excuse sounds the most fun. Maybe each member of a House, when they come of age, tweaks their family crest a little bit so it has individual recognition. Maybe there are specific changes made to a crest that indicate specific achievements and you can follow someone's success by their crest. Or maybe the crest is changed slightly with each new generation/decade/calendar system, and you can tell how old someone is by their House crest. Or maybe minor tweaks to the House crest indicated membership within a guild; softer curves indicates membership in the medical guild, sharper angles indicate the military guild, etc. Maybe the differences are regional, or indicate how far removed a specific bloodline is from the House's founder. Or indicate IQ, or blood type, or musical preference.

Maybe the House crest is supposed to stay the same forever but Clark simply doesn't know that and likes to mix things up now and then, not realizing he's insulting House El every time he does. Though that only works if Kara's not around to tell him different.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-21-2023 at 08:01 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate, it's a fictional alien species that look just like us but come from an awful, dying world with wildly different compositions of atmosphere, flora, and fauna. The culture rules are whatever the writer wants them to be, and explaining why the family crest is different for different characters/eras is a simple handwave of whatever excuse sounds the most fun. Maybe each member of a House, when they come of age, tweaks their family crest a little bit so it has individual recognition. Maybe there are specific changes made to a crest that indicate specific achievements and you can follow someone's success by their crest. Or maybe the crest is changed slightly with each new generation/decade/calendar system, and you can tell how old someone is by their House crest. Or maybe minor tweaks to the House crest indicated membership within a guild; softer curves indicates membership in the medical guild, sharper angles indicate the military guild, etc. Maybe the differences are regional, or indicate how far removed a specific bloodline is from the House's founder. Or indicate IQ, or blood type, or musical preference.

Maybe the House crest is supposed to stay the same forever but Clark simply doesn't know that and likes to mix things up now and then, not realizing he's insulting House El every time he does. Though that only works if Kara's not around to tell him different.
    This has merit. Some of the past works regarding house crests used different shapes based on what the house specialized in. Like Zod's:

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Sure, many facades of African culture have been adopted into Black culture, but many of us still identity as Americans. However, for Superman, it's kinda different. He lost his whole planet, he didn't know had existed until 18 (depending on the story). For Clark he's studying history. I'll controversially claim you can reboot Superman and spend a good thirty year without ever mentioning or bringing Krypton and the character would still be the same as he would be today. Yes, that would involve getting rid of Kara or sending her to Earth with Clark as a baby in the birthing Matrix, where she spent years growing until she awoke at 15.
    He would never be a human still..he would still be a freak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

I tend to like Kal L cause it feels more scifi.Ofcourse Siegel might have been using his last name that as well It just felt like one of those things like Clark's mom being mary or danner's birthday being dec 25.Ofcourse in danner's case religious layers aren't a subtext and it's very much the text.As is the case for donner's superman.Superman's case is different unlike danner the jewish experience (i might be wrong) experience does come through in the character.

While a "the hero being sent down the stream as baby,raised by others and causes somethings" is a constant through out many cultures.The type of characters that archetype has created differ vastly place to place and culture to culture.

Writing direction(generally) for abjad is also different.They write right to left.Hebrew is such a language.so we would be processing An L or an S differently
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-22-2023 at 05:03 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's a Superman's symbol. I've never been found of the house of El crest or the Kryptonian symbol of hope. Two main reasons: The symbol of hope is way too on the nose for me and it's corny, not in a good way. As for the House of El crest, it doesn't make sense because Superman shouldn't be defined by culture he never experienced.
    Well, he's not Superman without that culture.

But I always thought it would be funny to go full tilt and explain that the 'S' is for savior to make everyone uncomfortable and realize it can afford to scale back
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES