Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Scarlet Witch #1 Review/Spoilers: The Scarlet Witch Returns!

This totally counts as an X-Book.

In Lotkill, New York, Wanda uses magic to build up her shop. Later, in the Pacific Ocean, Wanda flies around and saves a cruise ship from Doctor Hydro and his hydro-fauna kaiju. Wanda teleports the monster to Monster Isle, so it can have a home. Hydro is probably trapped a bubble reality woven from the New Jersey DMV. She also fixes the ship. The cruisers explain that they came to the ocean to look at the monster, not be eaten by them; they're very rich, you see. Most likely not seeing this as some sort of set-up for a future villainous group she'll have to face, Wanda's like, "Okay," and leaves.

She goes back to the shop, where she's late for work. Luckily, her employee Darcy is already manning the store for her. Unprompted, Wanda turns the discussion about the kaiju into a story about herself, how she her crib was a mad scientist's incubator, how crazy her life is been, and how she's ready to make a fresh start. She magically changes from her hero costume, to an ugly dress with flowers on it.

Quicksilver shows up!! He makes light, playful jabs about the shop, reads all her books, then gets some food for everyone. He and the women sit down to chat. Wanda explains that, while she helped people, she was held back by darkness. She didn't reckon with herself sooner, and many people suffered for it. The shop is her way of helping people and ensuring no one slips through the cracks again. She also reveals the Last Door: a door that's part seeking spell, part portal. It finds the lowest, most desperate people and brings them to her. Which is probably bull, because I've been desperately begging for a Hellion book and this witch hasn't lifted a finger to help me once.

But you know who she can help? This lady speaking Italian, who walks right through the door. She expresses confusion, as she was just going to the farmer's market. Jarnette explains how she was in Italy earlier, in her wife's hometown. Wanda's eager to help her and believe her unconditionally, motivating her to tell her story.

A month ago, The Corruptor showed up and took over. Everyone but her is under his spell, and they work themselves to the bone for him. Even Jarnette's wife, who insists that Jarnette is crazy and everything else is normal.

Wanda reveals that the stone Jarnette wears around her neck, which she got from her father, actually repels magic. If polished enough, it could shield others from magic. This would normally take hundreds of years, but Quickie can do it in a short amount of time.

Wanda pays a visit to the Italian town, where the people immediately go after her. One of them even tries to run her over, but she puts a stop to that. She puts the town to sleep so they won't get involved with further shenanigans.

Wanda meets with the Corruptor, with Jarnette's wife by his side. He taunts her, and flashes a shocker (???) to summon forth Jarnette. Through the power of love the magic stone, Jarnette is able to break her wife free from the Corruptor's control. The Corruptor turns his attention to Wanda, using his power to make her remember some of her past stories. But since Wanda remembers the moral lesson from Trial of Magneto, she states that she doesn't forget or shun her mistakes. She knows who she is.

Wanda turns him to stone, then wakes up the people of the town. She explains that they can free him. They can do whatever they want with him, too. But she guilts them into not just smashing him, because his power preyed on their worst impulses in order for them to be manipulated, and killing him would show that he was successful in corrupting him, and blah blah blah. A Batman speech that doesn't fully address all the issues, but still carries a sweet sentiment.

Wanda tell the people how Jarnette's bravery and unwillingness to give up saved the town. Then she asks Jarnette if she can take her rock and study it. In exchange, she gives Jarnette her business card and tells her to stop by any time.

Wanda returns to the store. Just as she and Darcy are closing up shop, someone comes through the door. It's Hellion, and he's asking them for help getting a New X-Men revival.

Actually, it's less exciting than that. It's Viv Vision, who's also cool in her own way. She keeps having dreams that won't let her go, and they keep killing her.

Notes:
    • I didn't get to go to my usual comic store for this one, since I was training my puppy all day. He's so smart, he's already learned to shake paw after only a little bit of training. Literally a genius, I think. I can and will go on about how amazing he is.
    • The stone can repel magic, but the Last Door can get around this, I guess. Just touching the stone numbed Wanda's fingers, and all magic seems to bend around it - not just malicious stuff. Maybe it resists direct magic or something. I hope they clarify the mechanics of the stone later on.
    • I have no idea if Darcy is a pre-established character or not, but she looks exactly like Kat Dennings, who played a Darcy in the Thor movies no one liked. She apparently came through the Last Door, but refused to tell Wanda why she went through it. But if she's a new character, then I think the story is implying that Wanda created her with magic.
    • Wanda asked about Luna, her niece. I like when Orlando drops little bits of continuity for no reason.
    • Wanda tells Darcy, "You could say [Viv] is my daughter."
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

I imagine this Darcy is based of the Darcy in the films but Orlando gave her another twist. So Darcy being created by Wanda or met Wanda through the Lost Door is fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    This totally counts as an X-Book.

In Lotkill, New York, Wanda uses magic to build up her shop. Later, in the Pacific Ocean, Wanda flies around and saves a cruise ship from Doctor Hydro and his hydro-fauna kaiju. Wanda teleports the monster to Monster Isle, so it can have a home. Hydro is probably trapped a bubble reality woven from the New Jersey DMV. She also fixes the ship. The cruisers explain that they came to the ocean to look at the monster, not be eaten by them; they're very rich, you see. Most likely not seeing this as some sort of set-up for a future villainous group she'll have to face, Wanda's like, "Okay," and leaves.

She goes back to the shop, where she's late for work. Luckily, her employee Darcy is already manning the store for her. Unprompted, Wanda turns the discussion about the kaiju into a story about herself, how she her crib was a mad scientist's incubator, how crazy her life is been, and how she's ready to make a fresh start. She magically changes from her hero costume, to an ugly dress with flowers on it.

Quicksilver shows up!! He makes light, playful jabs about the shop, reads all her books, then gets some food for everyone. He and the women sit down to chat. Wanda explains that, while she helped people, she was held back by darkness. She didn't reckon with herself sooner, and many people suffered for it. The shop is her way of helping people and ensuring no one slips through the cracks again. She also reveals the Last Door: a door that's part seeking spell, part portal. It finds the lowest, most desperate people and brings them to her. Which is probably bull, because I've been desperately begging for a Hellion book and this witch hasn't lifted a finger to help me once.

But you know who she can help? This lady speaking Italian, who walks right through the door. She expresses confusion, as she was just going to the farmer's market. Jarnette explains how she was in Italy earlier, in her wife's hometown. Wanda's eager to help her and believe her unconditionally, motivating her to tell her story.

A month ago, The Corruptor showed up and took over. Everyone but her is under his spell, and they work themselves to the bone for him. Even Jarnette's wife, who insists that Jarnette is crazy and everything else is normal.

Wanda reveals that the stone Jarnette wears around her neck, which she got from her father, actually repels magic. If polished enough, it could shield others from magic. This would normally take hundreds of years, but Quickie can do it in a short amount of time.

Wanda pays a visit to the Italian town, where the people immediately go after her. One of them even tries to run her over, but she puts a stop to that. She puts the town to sleep so they won't get involved with further shenanigans.

Wanda meets with the Corruptor, with Jarnette's wife by his side. He taunts her, and flashes a shocker (???) to summon forth Jarnette. Through the power of love the magic stone, Jarnette is able to break her wife free from the Corruptor's control. The Corruptor turns his attention to Wanda, using his power to make her remember some of her past stories. But since Wanda remembers the moral lesson from Trial of Magneto, she states that she doesn't forget or shun her mistakes. She knows who she is.

Wanda turns him to stone, then wakes up the people of the town. She explains that they can free him. They can do whatever they want with him, too. But she guilts them into not just smashing him, because his power preyed on their worst impulses in order for them to be manipulated, and killing him would show that he was successful in corrupting him, and blah blah blah. A Batman speech that doesn't fully address all the issues, but still carries a sweet sentiment.

Wanda tell the people how Jarnette's bravery and unwillingness to give up saved the town. Then she asks Jarnette if she can take her rock and study it. In exchange, she gives Jarnette her business card and tells her to stop by any time.

Wanda returns to the store. Just as she and Darcy are closing up shop, someone comes through the door. It's Hellion, and he's asking them for help getting a New X-Men revival.

Actually, it's less exciting than that. It's Viv Vision, who's also cool in her own way. She keeps having dreams that won't let her go, and they keep killing her.

Notes:
    • I didn't get to go to my usual comic store for this one, since I was training my puppy all day. He's so smart, he's already learned to shake paw after only a little bit of training. Literally a genius, I think. I can and will go on about how amazing he is.
    • The stone can repel magic, but the Last Door can get around this, I guess. Just touching the stone numbed Wanda's fingers, and all magic seems to bend around it - not just malicious stuff. Maybe it resists direct magic or something. I hope they clarify the mechanics of the stone later on.
    • I have no idea if Darcy is a pre-established character or not, but she looks exactly like Kat Dennings, who played a Darcy in the Thor movies no one liked. She apparently came through the Last Door, but refused to tell Wanda why she went through it. But if she's a new character, then I think the story is implying that Wanda created her with magic.
    • Wanda asked about Luna, her niece. I like when Orlando drops little bits of continuity for no reason.
    • Wanda tells Darcy, "You could say [Viv] is my daughter."
    I definitely enjoyed the issue and can't wait to read more of this series. Now what I didn't like was having to wait until the 3rd paragraph for Hellion to be mentioned in this review.

I liked the issue, definitely hope it gets a long run

I thought it was cute. The art is gorgeous, and I'm in for this regardless because Wanda is one of my faves. That said, I enjoyed the premise of her last solo book more, but we're only an issue in so obviously there is more to come.

It was….okay. The twins interaction was nice and the art is beautiful, but the conflict I didn’t find all that interesting and the dialogue at times felt a little off to me.

I don’t pay too much attention to anything outside x-men so I’m a little confused by Wanda saying Viv is sort of but not really her daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Hahahaha I love it. Thank you for the recap!

Regarding Darcy I actually just saw this article the other day: A Major MCU Character Officially Makes Their Comics Debut
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    It was….okay. The twins interaction was nice and the art is beautiful, but the conflict I didn’t find all that interesting and the dialogue at times felt a little off to me.

I don’t pay too much attention to anything outside x-men so I’m a little confused by Wanda saying Viv is sort of but not really her daughter?
    I can't remember if Vision used Wanda brainwaves for to make his wife. Maybe that's what she was referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I can't remember if Vision used Wanda brainwaves for to make his wife. Maybe that's what she was referring to?
    He indeed did use Wanda's brain patterns to create his wife Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    He indeed did use Wanda's brain patterns to create his wife Virginia.
    Ah thanks for clearing that up. That sort of makes sense then.

Great issue except that Pietro looks nothing like Pietro.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I imagine this Darcy is based of the Darcy in the films but Orlando gave her another twist. So Darcy being created by Wanda or met Wanda through the Lost Door is fair game.
    Interested in where he will be going with that. I mean Darcy entered through the Last Door but Wanda doesn't know why and then she just decided to work for Wanda? Hmm....

Also anybody else interested in a Corruptor lawn ornament?
    "This is me being reasonable"

This was better than i thought it would be. Loved the scenes with wanda and pietro and his reaction to her putting a spell on him to know his true thoughts it was absolutely priceless. The expressions here were great and the color was on point. Orlando did a great job of leading the story and just when i felt like wanda was being too cocky or overcompensating she was hit with "remember" and i thought "okay now we got real" and i love how she handled it because she has processed these things and truly moved beyond them. I also like the concept of the door and someone at their lowest walking through it as it makes such an easy vehicle for wanda to connect to anyone at anytime, like what if thanos knocked on the door, or doom. lol. On the flip i think the book store actually works as a good back drop as well and could easily see this as a show or something where wanda is hiding out in a small town running a magic shop/ book store and having big adventures based on whoever walks through the door. very convenient but given wanda and her power it also doesn't feel lazy.

Pietro is one step closer to being back to a mutant, his speed isn't magical, i know a reach by why not. Looking forward to seeing Wanda interact with Viv and i actually really love wanda's voice in this. She doesn't come off sounding all matyrdom or above it all because she literally got the vengeance did all those things those people wanted to do and then some and didn't try to stop them but she did tell them she did all those things and it made her feel no better. so i appreciated she let them make a choice and didn't try to infringe herself on them other than speaking her truth.

And i absolutely loved the powerpuff girl/ Starfire hair cloak trail.

Great first issue.

Some of my fave panels.

hesaltyhuh.jpg
    sheknowswhosheis.jpg
    goblossomgo.jpg
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

I could have done with Darcy ever making it into comics, but that may be due to my negative reaction to 'Two Broke Girls' -- one of the worst series I've ever seen on TV.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I liked Wanda basically claiming Viv as her daughter.