Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Obscure Mutants 2023 Appreciation

Exactly what the title says! Here's a thread for appreciating or just showcasing all those obscure mutants nobody but two of us have ever heard of. Esoteric flexes only! The Z-listers of the Z-List!

Mostly its a thread for me and danielsan to finally go head to head and see which of us truly knows the most obscure mutants, and in the greatest number! Mwahahaha!

I'm gonna start this thread off with an easy one, one I KNOW that danielsan at least knows.....but how can you start an Obscure Mutants Appreciation Thread with anyone BUT the mutant brought to us by the greatest one-shot of all time....The Uncanny X-Men Go To The Texas State Fair?!

Yes, I'm talking about none other than Daniel Wiley aka Eques.....the mighty equine shapeshifter himself, with the ability to shapeshift into a winged centaur and use his powerful donkey kicks to defend the TRULY worthy.....horses! Firestar is shook, if only she'd known about this defender of the four-hooved when Butter Rum needed avenging!

https://i.imgur.com/14uXJ57.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/rSOksLq.jpeg

Back in the depths of his Villain Era, Magneto tried to recruit the pure-hearted Danny Wiley via a dastardly web of fictitious lies....he came to the young stableboy and claimed that the X-Men were enemies to horses everywhere, but with Equus' help, Magneto could protect foals at play from the foul play of those nefarious evil-doers!

Alas, after successfully pitting Danny's mighty kicks and wingbeats against the X-Men (and never underestimate those wings - why, if Warren Worthington III's wings are powerful enough to break a man's ribs, y'know, like a goose's wings....well just think how mighty must wings be if they're capable of lifting Danny's full-figured horse-body into the air!)

https://i.imgur.com/L4TLsua.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/DyBPFWj.png

Well, as I was saying, Magneto got off to a promising start with his new recruit, but then he made a classic evildoer mistake - he forgot to commit to the bit! He let his guard down just long enough to let slip his TRUE feelings about horses - that they're IDIOTIC - and the jig was up! Danny knew then that this was no fellow horse-lover....no, this was a MISCREANT! And he turned on Magneto and let him know he had four hooves and he knew exactly what to do with them, when confronted with one who would LIE about being a FRIEND to horses when he in fact thought they were DUMB!

https://i.imgur.com/qN7mLNa.jpeg

In the aftermath of this great betrayal, the X-Men offered young Daniel a place among them, but his faith in men had been sorely tested....no, he refused them, he knew where he was needed. Among HORSEKIND. Who would never betray him with LIES and FALSITIES.....so neigh, he said to Professor X. He would stay where he was and protect horses in his own ways. And there Danny has stayed ever since.

https://i.imgur.com/8HBM78j.png

But its a new age now, and surely there's room on Krakoa for someone who has never wanted anything more than a safe space for his horse friends to run free! Is the mighty Eques to be found roaming the valleys just beyond Hellfire Bay with his beloved steeds? Should Firestar come calling on him? Is there a romance for the ages to be found betwixt these two?

THIS READER DEMANDS ANSWERS, MARVEL! When will Danny Wiley aka Eques return from the horse-war!? Is there still a place among the X-Men for the likes of Eques, defender of horse-kind?
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 01-04-2023 at 06:05 PM.

Fun thread!

Adam Berman aka Primal

This arrogant d-bag is sexy in lizard form. He applied to join Xavier's school in X-Men Unlimited Vol. #16 but his school rival Ginny got accepted by Banshee and Emma instead. Turns out Ginny was turned into a Prime Sentinel by Bastion and was tasked to publicly destroy Adam. Adam at the time was actually hiding the fact that he was a mutant and that he could turn into his muscular lizard form. Little did he know he was applying to a mutant school. Headmasters Banshee and Emma learned his secret and Banshee helped him when Ginny attacked him. After the fight, Banshee invited him to join the school but Adam was like, "nah, I'm comfortable with who I am and don't need to hide." He drove off in his hot car never to be seen again.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Charmaine Grand from Rogue & Gambit vol 1
    She can create golems by using her skills and memories or those of other mutants (and when she destroys a golem she absorbs it)
    When Charmaine's mutation kicked in her powers were so out of control that she accidentally created two golems named Dr. Grand and Lavish
    Later Charmaine created a fake couples therapy center where she kidnapped mutants and used them to create golems
    Kitty sent Rogue and Gambit there to investigate the sudden disappearance of mutants under the guise of going to therapy

She could have an interesting dynamic with Rogue

Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-04-2023 at 09:02 PM.

Astonishing Member

All good choices. Another one-off character I've always wanted to see more of, was a villain named Julius Dupree aka the Grave Robber.

Julius_Dupree_(Earth-616)_from_Uncanny_X-Men-_First_Class_Vol_1_3.jpg

A Haitian mutant with the unique ability to create life-like revenants or ghosts of the dead, based on the memories the living have of them, Julius used his powers as a con man for hire, selling his services to those who wanted to torment someone with the ghost of a loved one or enemy. He was hired by Patrick Rourke, the father of Banshee's late wife Maeve Rourke, to haunt Sean Cassidy with Maeve's 'ghost.'

Julius stole photos of Maeve from Sean and used the psychic energy of Sean's memories of his late wife every time he looked at those photos, to create the revenant that he used to haunt Sean. This ghost seemed to know everything Maeve knew - via drawing on Sean's own memories of her - and could interact with Sean physically, but beyond that was just a psychic construct under Julius' control, doing and saying whatever he wanted it to....until it didn't. A drawback of Julius' power, or at least how he used it, is that when he draws too deeply on someone's memories of a loved one, he risks his control of the resulting construct becoming diluted.

Basically, deep down Sean KNEW that Maeve would never do or say the things this ghost of her was doing and saying at Julius' command....and since Sean's memories were essentially the life-force of this ghost, this discrepancy gave the Maeve ghost enough independence to break away from Julius and turn on him as the real Maeve would have. Julius was able to dispel the ghost since he'd created it himself - he's not actually vulnerable to his own creations, but he couldn't maintain the illusion that this was the real Maeve, since the very memories he was using to create the ghost were too certain of how the real Maeve would or wouldn't act.

And then Julius skedaddled with a teleportation effect that was never explained.....it was hinted though that he studied magic in addition to his own mutant powers and so has an array of other skills at his disposal too.

But whether a mutant magician or even just via his own mutant powers, Julius could be a great antagonist to give a glow-up in the current era....

Imagine how much chaos he could create if he were hired by various mutant villains or antagonists to temporarily cover up the deaths of other mutants - by creating fake revenants/ghosts of them to keep interacting with people - and thus thwart attempts to have those mutants resurrected. He would have been a PERFECT foil for the Krakoan X-Factor team. Their entire purview is proving mutants are dead so they can be resurrected, and the Grave Robber is the ideal mutant to impede their investigations, should any other mutants hire him to try and keep a Krakoan from being resurrected.

The sad truth is that so so many mutants who had a certain presence for a specific period can quickly vanish again into obscurity......One of my all time favorite is for example BLINK. Guess this thread by now is also for her.....

Ultimate Member

Oh my, so many.

From the pages of Moon Knight, seven-foot Russian mistress of arctic winds, Bora!

Plus Scaleface of the Tunnelers (a sub-group of Morlocks) and Unuscione (of the Acolytes) are big favorites, as well as Dragoness and Tempo, of the MLF.

I just want it noted on record that Emma did not kill Butter Rum. She used her telepathy to convince Firestar the horse had died. CANON.

My fav obscure, barely used mutants are Risque and Unveil.

I want more of these 3:

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Exactly what the title says! Here's a thread for appreciating or just showcasing all those obscure mutants nobody but two of us have ever heard of. Esoteric flexes only! The Z-listers of the Z-List!

Mostly its a thread for me and danielsan to finally go head to head and see which of us truly knows the most obscure mutants, and in the greatest number! Mwahahaha!

I'm gonna start this thread off with an easy one, one I KNOW that danielsan at least knows.....but how can you start an Obscure Mutants Appreciation Thread with anyone BUT the mutant brought to us by the greatest one-shot of all time....The Uncanny X-Men Go To The Texas State Fair?!

Yes, I'm talking about none other than Daniel Wiley aka Eques.....the mighty equine shapeshifter himself, with the ability to shapeshift into a winged centaur and use his powerful donkey kicks to defend the TRULY worthy.....horses! Firestar is shook, if only she'd known about this defender of the four-hooved when Butter Rum needed avenging!

https://i.imgur.com/14uXJ57.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/rSOksLq.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/L4TLsua.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/DyBPFWj.png

https://i.imgur.com/qN7mLNa.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/8HBM78j.png

But its a new age now, and surely there's room on Krakoa for someone who has never wanted anything more than a safe space for his horse friends to run free! Is the mighty Eques to be found roaming the valleys just beyond Hellfire Bay with his beloved steeds? Should Firestar come calling on him? Is there a romance for the ages to be found betwixt these two?

THIS READER DEMANDS ANSWERS, MARVEL! When will Danny Wiley aka Eques return from the horse-war!? Is there still a place among the X-Men for the likes of Eques, defender of horse-kind?
    Ha! Thanks for thinking of me!

As far as Eques, I could see his powers evolve to shape shift into further equine forms and he would become friends with Max Rocker to compete in The Arena!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by danielsan52; 01-05-2023 at 08:26 AM.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Where are these darling students now? Tantra with the blue hat is an icon.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I want more of these 3:

yes too all of those!!

Maybe Selene should restart her own inner circle of death again and recruit Threnody ASAP!

A lot of good ones out there here is a short list.

Bugeye and Bandit
    Bio-Genes
    Circle of Pavane
    Yeti [Wolverine's First X-Men]
    Portal
    Puff Adder
    Termite
    Thunderiders
    Streetman, Noise, Stealth and Zapper
    Lobo Brothers and Sister
    Sparrow
    Sirocco, Amenidi and Veil
    Blue Condor, Picaro, Grip and Suede
    Mutant Underground of Singapore
    La Bandera
    Sister Salvation
    Gadfly
    Brood Mutants
    Dead Ringer
    Breakdown, Janus, and Pathway
    Blowtorch Brand
    Manslaughter
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 01-26-2023 at 11:08 AM.

Does Spyke from X-men evolution count?

NIGHTCRAWLER'S Daughters:
    BLUE (mother and given name unrevealed, likely Amanda Sefton/Jimaine Szardos)

and NOCTURNE (Talia Josephine Wagner via Wanda Maximoff)
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.