Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Academy X: New X-Men Appreciation 2023

Last thread

Starting from the pages of New Mutants vol 2 in 2003, the New X-Man are a generation of young mutants from the early 2000's. Featuring many iconic and loveable characters, the generation has captured the hearts of fans, and keeps an active fanbase to this day.

If you want to read about their adventures, check out the following books:
    • New Mutants Vol 2 (2003, 13 issues)
    • New X-Men Vol 2 (2004, 46 issues)
    • New X-Men: Hellions (2004, 4 issues)
    • X-Men: Pixie Strikes Back (2009, 4 issues)
    • Wolverine and the X-Men (2011, 42 issues)
    • Wolverine and the X-Men (2014, 12 issues)
    • Spider-Man and the X-Men (2015, 6 issues)
    • And many more

Students with their own threads

Have any questions? Want to know more behind-the-scenes information? Dying for some lore? You can search the Tumblr blog of Christina Weir & Nunzio DeFilippis, the superstars behind the early days of Academy X.

While many of these absolute legends are still in limbo or relegated to cameos, some of them have found homes in books:

• Pixie, Blindfold and Dust appear in Legion of X, with the former two being regulars
    • Surge is set to play a role in Bishop: War College
    • X-23/Wolverine is currently starring in X-Terminators, and will have star in the X-23: Deadly Regenesis mini
    • Elixir is part of the Five
    • A corrupted version of Rockslide (Wrongslide) appears in X-Men Red
    • If you count them as part of this generation, the Cuckoos make occasional appearances alongside Emma Frost, in various books
    • If you also count Martha Johanson/No-Girl/Cerebella, she's set to appear in New Mutants: Lethal Legion
    • Hellion appears in every one of my threads

Hopes for 2023? This year marks the 20th anniversary. New Mutants vol 2, issue 1 was released on May 21, 2003. While I doubt Marvel will acknowledge the anniversary, maybe we'll see this generation get some love.

I was also thinking we could do weekly characters spotlights. Not just big names, but also smaller names, like Kidogo. We could express our thoughts on them, brainstorm ways they could be utilized, and share our headcanons.
    Last edited by Rift; 01-12-2023 at 06:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I was also thinking we could do weekly characters spotlights. Not just big names, but also smaller names, like Kidogo. We could express our thoughts on them, brainstorm ways they could be utilized, and share our headcanons.
    *pumps fist in This Is How My 'Dallas Gibson as The Secret, Hidden-Away Lovechild of Iceman and Darkstar' Theory Can Still Win*

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    *pumps fist in This Is How My 'Dallas Gibson as The Secret, Hidden-Away Lovechild of Iceman and Darkstar' Theory Can Still Win*
    Ha! Before I had any idea who he was, I saw Elixir, the gold-metallic skinned healer, and thought he might be the secret lovechild of Colossus and T'saji, the alien healer he met in the first Secret Wars on the Beyonder's fake planet.

But I definitely would like to see more of some of the 'Lower Decks' of the Academy X like Spectre, Indra and Bling!, as well as the more front-and-center students like Hellion, Dust, Wind-Dancer, etc.

Hoping both of my favorites will have an AWESOME 2023

Trance

• Powers: Astral Projection (In Astral Form - Flight, Blast Power & Intangibility Contact; plus a close bond between her physical & astral forms)

Wind Dancer

• Powers: Air/Wind Manipulation; Flight; Long-Distance Eavesdropping

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-04-2023 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Did you miss Hellion or Wind Dancer the most in 2022?

Well, you could let your voice be heard in the Most Missed category of the 2022 X-Books voting. Iif you did not vote on our CBR forum yet for your favorites of 2022, please do so fast. Voting ends soon. Vote here.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Obviously nothing is forever when it comes to comic book death, especially in the age of Krakoa, but with Quire gone, the time for Julian to ascend and reclaim his role as the TK bad boy with a marshmallow center!

The Pink Punk ate his lunch but with him gone the time for Hellion is upon us!
    Reconcile with Frost and restore his golden boy status (sorry, Elixir)
    Let the "will they won't they" dance with Wind Dancer conclude and reveal that they in fact, HAVE!
    Get him over to the War College book as a Teacher's Assistant who TK tosses Surge & Armor around for the lolz.

This will be the year of LOA!

Dreams of Hellion and Wind Dancer being regulars in a book fuel me. One day!

i need Hellion and Wind Dancer in 2023!

Does Hellion need a make over? Should he try a new hairstyle to level up his aesthetic? LETS GIVE HIM SOME FACIAL HAIR!
    Lets see Julian "mature" and stand out with some disconnected scruff and/or finely crafted beardage.

Wind Dancer is perfection -- nobody touch her mane.
    Last edited by Fokken; 01-05-2023 at 07:16 AM.

I only have a couple of minutes before my work break ends, so I can only respond to 2 post rn.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Does Hellion need a make over? Should he try a new hairstyle to level up his aesthetic? LETS GIVE HIM SOME FACIAL HAIR!
    Lets see Julian "mature" and stand out with some disconnected scruff and/or finely crafted beardage.

Wind Dancer is perfection -- nobody touch her mane.
    And it's this one.

His hair os perf, but it'd be cool to see his robot hands get a makeover. Give him rocket fists, with the ability to expand into larger fists. A boxer motif would be cool, since Marvel is seemigly shunning ya boi Rusty.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I only have a couple of minutes before my work break ends, so I can only respond to 2 post rn.

And it's this one.

His hair os perf, but it'd be cool to see his robot hands get a makeover. Give him rocket fists, with the ability to expand into larger fists. A boxer motif would be cool, since Marvel is seemigly shunning ya boi Rusty.
    Has it been confirmed yet whether Hellion actually got his hands back the last time we saw him, or was it just a colorist/artist error?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Has it been confirmed yet whether Hellion actually got his hands back the last time we saw him, or was it just a colorist/artist error?
    schrodinger hands

Question for my fellow Hellions stans. Do you all like it when his injuries are just shown as robot hands (Typically drawn this way) OR robot ish up to his mid forearm (Like my Clay Mann commission) OR robot arm to shoulders like (Age of X)?

Happy New Year to the Academy X kids and all their fans! I don't know if she still counts since she got aged up in the Vault but I really want this to be Laura's year! Also, how do we think the issue with having two Laura's running about will be dealt with?
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.