Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
    Where is this panel from? Love the outfit
    https://twitter.com/Gawdzilla1989/st...62236357685250
    Stalking me on twitter I see lol JK

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    X-Men vol 4 (2013), issue 13. Julian, Rockslide, Anole, and the rest enter the Danger Room and experience a very dangerous simulation. Psylocke also shows up to help.
    The Modern Day Classic "Bromo Superior"
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

I was rereading Academy X for screenshots for a Mercury quotes post, and I found that page where Julian talks to Josh about him cheating on Laurie. Turns out, it's funnier than I remember.

Early Julian is such an asshole. As much as I love the character development he got later on, I'll always look fondly on this era.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

I was rereading Academy X for screenshots for a Mercury quotes post
    Excited Cess.jpg
    Interest piqued.

During my great "acquire every comic Mercury ever appeared in" quest, I don't think I saw Julian and Cessily speak to each other after Messiah CompleX. They appeared on panel together a few times, but no more sibling dynamic. Still makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post

During my great "acquire every comic Mercury ever appeared in" quest, I don't think I saw Julian and Cessily speak to each other after Messiah CompleX. They appeared on panel together a few times, but no more sibling dynamic. Still makes me sad.
    It's really sad. And re-reading really made me appreciate Cess more, from her relationship with others, to her own characterization. It's a shame she's practically a prop lately, 'cause I'm really loving her understated big sister-ness and humanity.

Ultimate Member

It's really sad. And re-reading really made me appreciate Cess more, from her relationship with others, to her own characterization. It's a shame she's practically a prop lately, 'cause I'm really loving her understated big sister-ness and humanity.
    I love how she called him on his shit when he was focused on Sofia drama and kind of missing out on what was going on with Kevin, and she basically told him he was losing the plot.

Plus he was all big brother-ish when she was pining over Kevin, which was a neat look for him. Kind of humanized him a bit, as well as his standing up on the table to stand up for Kevin when everyone was gossiping about the new kid getting arrested.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 02-10-2023 at 08:38 PM.

BANNED

I was rereading Academy X for screenshots for a Mercury quotes post, and I found that page where Julian talks to Josh about him cheating on Laurie. Turns out, it's funnier than I remember.

Early Julian is such an asshole. As much as I love the character development he got later on, I'll always look fondly on this era.
    Let's be honest: Elixir was probably just as big of an asshole as Hellion back then. It just gets overlooked because people love to hate on Julian.

Also, Josh totally deserved this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I love how she called him on his shit when he was focused on Sofia drama and kind of missing out on what was going on with Kevin, and she basically told him he was losing the plot.

Plus he was all big brother-ish when she was pining over Kevin, which was a neat look for him. Kind of humanized him a bit, as well as his standing up on the table to stand up for Kevin when everyone was gossiping about the new kid getting arrested.
    Yeah. One of my favorite things about Hellion is how he's just this huge hypocrite who will look down on anyone for whatever reason, but won't hold his friends to the same standards. Like how he made fun of Kevin and labeled him a threat before they were friends, but later started defending him when no one else would. Or making fun of David for losing his powers, saying stuff he would never dream of saying to Sofia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Let's be honest: Elixir was probably just as big of an asshole as Hellion back then. It just gets overlooked because people love to hate on Julian.

It's also overlooked because he wasn't as funny as Julian. Julian gets so many great lines in, while Josh is treated with more seriousness and sympathy.

But as I'm reading, it's a shame how future stories had him get with Loa and (sort of) the Cuckoos, as if they weren't aware he cheated on Laurie and never talked to her about it until she already found out. I woulda loved to see that big betrayal of trust get more focus. It helped disintegrate the team, but that didn't matter much because Decimation happened almost immediately afterwards.

The fact that we didn’t get Mercury, Hellion, and Anole’s reaction to Santo’s “death” still bugs me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post

Looking at Josh those days, Julian talked the jerk talk, but Josh really walked the jerk walk, being far 'worse' than Julian on his worst day. Clubbing Colossus with a metal pipe from behind (while he was flesh and blood and vulnerable) just because he was angry was a dick move.

Having recently reread some of those early issues, I still get the vibe that Josh was also deep in the closet, and some of his sketchy relationship bullshit with Rahne and Laurie was because he would have rather been with someone like Julian. (One of his early scenes with David as roommate is him trying to put his pants on over his towel, after getting out of the shower, because he's uncomfortable wearing just underwear for 10 seconds in front of David, and that seems more like a 'hide the boner' move than anything, since he's rarely even a tiny bit shy, even enthusing about designing his own costume without sleeves to show off his arms!)

That said, a scene that always puts a smile on my face is when Julian gets nearly disemboweled (during the fight with Belasco) and slumps against a wall, clearly about to die, and Josh runs over to save his life with his healing power, "I'm here Julian, don't be scared!" and Julian just growls, "Do I look scared, b****?"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    The fact that we didn’t get Mercury, Hellion, and Anole’s reaction to Santo’s “death” still bugs me.
    That's how everyone "rolls" in the Krakoa era, except for a dozen or so important characters, everyone else is just a zombie doing what the macro-story needs them to do (mainly fill backrounds or die to random villains).

Which reflects a general mentality most of the modern writers tend to show towards this whole generation of characters and even the one before them (Gen X).

It seems they only want to use the characters allready famous (basicly anyone who made a name for themself until 1992), their personal favorits or their own new creations which they hope will become the next favorits. Everyone else is just "draw and discard" on a need to use basis like tissue papers. Especialy when it's just their powers the writer needs

At least the New X-men had a long enough lasting well written series with enough character interactions and developments that it can even bug one when they don't react to Rockslide's death, rather than being so underdeveloped that it doesn't even register like arguably the "next gen" teams after them.

https://anchor.fm/the-spider-man-boo...-X-Men-e1um5si

A fun little podcast about Spider-Man and the X-Men, lots of NXM Praise

Hellion fans it is a must listen
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Dang, gonna check it after work. Any timestamps for notable moments?

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post

Not official, but Joe really did a lovely job crafting this story.

Also, before I forget, I need to say this about Josh and Julian: I feel like people tend to forget that they both had hoe energy. I don't know where I can mention this again, but it needed to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    https://anchor.fm/the-spider-man-boo...-X-Men-e1um5si

A fun little podcast about Spider-Man and the X-Men, lots of NXM Praise

Hellion fans it is a must listen
    >"Hellion is my ride or die"
    >Helix fan
    >Know the Academy X kids were failed and robbed
    Bless you, TJ
    Last edited by Rift; 02-13-2023 at 07:57 PM.

BANNED

Also, before I forget, I need to say this about Josh and Julian: I feel like people tend to forget that they both had hoe energy. I don't know where I can mention this again, but it needed to be said.

>"Hellion is my ride or die"
    >Helix fan
    >Know the Academy X kids were failed and robbed
    Bless you, TJ
    Damn, now I gotta listen.