Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    That would be pertinent to include in the op, yeah?
    I'd assumed it was understood; I'm not sure if anybody else construed that I initiated the discussion looking for expert opinions (how did you arrive at that conclusion?).

Calling me a sourpuss & threatening mod actions because you forgot the point...sheesh.
    I characterized you as a sourpuss because you were behaving like one, but I meant it in an observational way rather than an insulting way. Hence, the notation that it was earnest and meant to be friendly. I regret that you don't like the bluntness of it, and anticipated that you probably wouldn't (hence the disclaimer), but I felt it worthwhile to call it to your attention.

As far as "threatening moderator action," two things:

1). I am no longer a CBR moderator in any capacity, and thus, cannot take direct moderator action against any member.

2). It was not a threat...just a reminder that derailing topics with needlessly confrontational or provocative tones might very well draw moderator attention. That's up to the moderators, though.

As to that point, I don't know that I could swing one way more than another. All of the arguments are sound given the information we have. It would take lots more exploration/discovery, and we'd all win from that. Maybe when the successor to the Hubble telescope is completed, we'll be able to find something new that could point us in the right (or very wrong) direction.
    Great. That's all I wanted. That wasn't so bad, was it, Jeff?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

We're way out on one bumfuck arm of the galaxy. Why would anyone even be looking out here, and singling out our little solar system? It's not at all confusing that "they" haven't found us, or if they have, don't show their faces. Heck, if they were watching us from wherever they are, they probably think this is the Giant Lizard Planet (marked "Stay the hell out!").
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I'd assumed it was understood; I'm not sure if anybody else construed that I initiated the discussion looking for expert opinions (how did you arrive at that conclusion?).
    And what have we learned about assuming? Initially, you didn't ask for any opinions. Hence my bafflement. I didn't think you had a grim agenda, I thought you had NO agenda.

I characterized you as a sourpuss because you were behaving like one, but I meant it in an observational way rather than an insulting way. Hence, the notation that it was earnest and meant to be friendly. I regret that you don't like the bluntness of it, and anticipated that you probably wouldn't (hence the disclaimer), but I felt it worthwhile to call it to your attention.
    My response was meant to be silly, obviously that tone didn't carry over, either. However, asking for more critical thought (or any logical confrontational language in general) isn't "being a sourpuss", and I wish most feverently that more people would understand that.

As far as "threatening moderator action," two things:
    Your name comes up as red on this tablet. Sorry for the confusion.

Great. That's all I wanted. That wasn't so bad, was it, Jeff?
    Ask and ye shall receive. Just remember to ask in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    We're way out on one bumfuck arm of the galaxy. Why would anyone even be looking out here, and singling out our little solar system? It's not at all confusing that "they" haven't found us, or if they have, don't show their faces. Heck, if they were watching us from wherever they are, they probably think this is the Giant Lizard Planet (marked "Stay the hell out!").
    Earth is basically Tatooine, with a little more ecological variation and only one sun.

I always have wondered what was up with the STAR WARS galaxy and its multiple single-ecosystem planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    And what have we learned about assuming? Initially, you didn't ask for any opinions. Hence my bafflement. I didn't think you had a grim agenda, I thought you had NO agenda.
    OK. I can see where your confusion lies. Basically, it was an open invitation to discuss the subject broadly.

My response was meant to be silly, obviously that tone didn't carry over, either. However, asking for more critical thought (or any logical confrontational language in general) isn't "being a sourpuss", and I wish most feverently that more people would understand that.
    OK II, but as you've acknowledged, it doesn't carry over well across the screen (had we been in the same room and I heard you say it, a different message likely would have come across). So am I correct in understanding that you meant no affront...it's just your style of communicating?

Your name comes up as red on this tablet. Sorry for the confusion.
    I haven't been a moderator at CBR since the April reboot. Many people (not just you) think I still am, however. Old habits.

Ask and ye shall receive. Just remember to ask in the first place.
    I thought the implication was pretty clear; it didn't seem necessary to end the post with a "What do you guys think?"

I think we've resolved this to everybody's satisfaction, and no more needs to be said. Let's get on with the Fermi Paradox, then.

Take it to PM you two

This thread is closed