Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    The electromagnetic spectrum has been a term in use a lot longer.
    We're on the same wavelength; I was thinking the same thing. I'm guessing the healthcare industry adapted the word from its original context.

Extraordinary Member

The electromagnetic spectrum has been a term in use a lot longer.
    Of course. But when the average general person today hears “spectrum” they think of the medical term not the scientific term.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Of course. But when the average general person today hears “spectrum” they think of the medical term not the scientific term.
    Then you put it on the credits page that she controls the Electromagnetic Spectrum. Anyone says anything tell them to shove off.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I kinda wish she was called Doc Spectrum, but a lot of ppl have pointed out that calling her Capt Spectrum makes more sense in universe.
    Doctor Spectrum is the name of another Marvel hero - the Green Lantern analogue from Squadron Supreme.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I kinda wish she was called Doc Spectrum, but a lot of ppl have pointed out that calling her Capt Spectrum makes more sense in universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Doctor Spectrum is the name of another Marvel hero - the Green Lantern analogue from Squadron Supreme.
    Not to mention some villains as well on 616. Plus Monica does not have a doctorate degree.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Still holding out hope that Marvel steps up and proclaims loudly that Monica is the child of Beyonders, which is why she had powers in her youth and also why so many Beyonder-types seem to pop up often in her life, and the lives of her counterparts.
    IMHO... Monica would be better off (if anything needs to be changed concerning her origins) if it was revealed she's a human mutant as opposed to being an adopted omnipotent alien a'la Kal El. Her ability to go undetected can be explained simply by saying the very nature of her powers negates Cerebro/Cerebra's electronics preventing her from being detected by it or Sentinel technology.
    Last edited by Micabe; 04-30-2023 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    We're on the same wavelength; I was thinking the same thing. I'm guessing the healthcare industry adapted the word from its original context.
    Wavelength! That should be her next name.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

BANNED

Or, she could simply go by her actual birth name like Jean Grey being that her identity isn't a secret...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I don't think that's true -- "spectrum" is a word commonly used in many different contexts, such as references to sexuality as a spectrum; or in debates about the 'political spectrum', etc. If people hear the phrase "on the spectrum", yes, I think they are likely to assume an autism reference unless they have a different context. But just the word "spectrum" itself, no.

BANNED

Heh... When I hear the word "spectrum", I immediately think of the cable/internet provider, not sexuality...

Last edited by Micabe; 04-30-2023 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Link(s) added.

Not to mention some villains as well on 616. Plus Monica does not have a doctorate degree.
    True. The ANAD Doctor Spectrum was a hero - an Inhuman woman. But the one from Aaron's Avengers was a villain, a construct of Mephisto. Both are currently active on 616 (the villainous one is now in jail, the heroic one is on New Attilan last we saw).
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'd like to think there is a shared cosmic power connection between all the characters named Photon and Captain Marvel. And that could be a source of her innate powers...that were "reawakened" when she destroyed the energy machine in her debut.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-01-2023 at 10:45 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    IMHO... Monica would be better off (if anything needs to be changed concerning her origins) if it was revealed she's a human mutant as opposed to being an adopted omnipotent alien a'la Kal El. Her ability to go undetected can be explained simply by saying the very nature of her powers negates Cerebro/Cerebra's electronics preventing her from being detected by it or Sentinel technology.
    Did Monica still have her powers after Scarlet Witch cast her "No more mutants" spell?

I don't think she was being used at the time (this was after Nextwave, but before Ewing's Mighty Avengers), but presumably yes. She's never been depowered as far as I know.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I don't think she was being used at the time (this was after Nextwave, but before Ewing's Mighty Avengers), but presumably yes. She's never been depowered as far as I know.
    In the 80s she lost her powers then in a one shot got a version of them back. But nothing related to Wanda.