Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Overall I enjoyed this second issue a lot and loved seeing that lineup together again even if it's an AU. I truly hope that people give this series a chance and show Marvel that we fans want an ongoing and will actually support the series with our money.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Ah, got it. Thanks for breaking that down for me, because of Marvel's sliding timescale shenanigans I head-canon most of the main Avengers and X-Men as 30-35, younger when you start breaking them down by group like New Mutants, Young Avengers, etc.
    The O5 X-Men, i.e. Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, Marvel Girl, Archangel, are indeed around 30. The O5 are roughly the same age as Johnny Storm and Peter Parker. Kitty and Rogue are around five years younger - they were teens in the 80s - as, of course, are the New Mutants. Emma, Storm, Professor X, Wolverine, Forge are all obviously a bit older (Logan is from the 19th century).

As for the Avengers, Steve is 105 years old according to his current series (born 1918). Tony should be in his 40s, as he's been active for around 15 years and was in his 20s when he started as Iron Man. Carol must be in her 40s as well, as she's also been around since the 60s (her first appearance is at least 13 years ago in universe, she was originally Captain Marvel's love interest and debuted in Mar-Vell's second issue, before becoming Ms. Marvel in the 70s) and had several years of military experience before she debuted. Same goes for both Doctor Strange and Valkyrie, as Stephen and Jane are both Doctors and have also been around since the 60s. And Thor is thousands of years old of course.

You need to consider both when they debuted and roughly how old they were when they debuted when working out current ages. It works out roughly one year in universe per four in the real world. Stories published 60 years ago are set 15 years ago.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-12-2023 at 12:37 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

This was posted in the blue marvel thread.
    I was thinking about this awhile ago and here are some other talking about it here.
    by ghostrider8303Loki
    The Marvels team is probably the MCU equivalent of the comics 616 Ultimates team.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MCUTheories...cu_equivalent/

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And don't forget she sometimes refers to herself as Auntie Monica.
    The angry Black Woman characterization came hand in hand with "Auntie Monica" in NEXTWAVE, which feels completely out of character for how she would speak. And then got carried over to MIGHTY AVENGERS eventually. I am curious if they worked any New Orleanean colloquilisms into how the Rambeaus speak "Baby" (more like BeBAY), "Cher" (more like Sha'), etc...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    The angry Black Woman characterization came hand in hand with "Auntie Monica" in NEXTWAVE, which feels completely out of character for how she would speak. And then got carried over to MIGHTY AVENGERS eventually. I am curious if they worked any New Orleanean colloquilisms into how the Rambeaus speak "Baby" (more like BeBAY), "Cher" (more like Sha'), etc...
    But this was a good look for her, if nothing else .

Not saying you created this but....

I hate when people say "Angry Black Woman" when ever a black woman (or any race) asserts herself.

Sorry. That's an conversation for another thread.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Not saying you created this but....

I hate when people say "Angry Black Woman" when ever a black woman (or any race) asserts herself.

Sorry. That's an conversation for another thread.
    In this case, Monica wasn’t “being assertive”, she was literally being portrayed as cranky and foul spirited as her constant default mood with a mean expression on her face.
    Whereas until Nextwave she was more even keeled while remaining a strong enough character to lead teams and be the bane of villains existence.

I'm really enjoying this series. More than I expected to even. I'm loving Dr. Druid's comments.

My only complaint is what others have voiced about her voice. It doesn't sound like the Monica we've known for years. She sounds more like a caricature.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You'd think if they modelled her on a real person, it'd be the actress playing her in the MCU?
    True. But sometimes an artist already has an idea of the model in their mind. For me -- at least at the present -- it's Logan Browning. Whenever I draw Monica, Logan is the muse. I'm guessing the artist that worked on Monica most recently has their muse as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Verra Noiice. Thank you.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

This was another good issue. Was completely surprised to see the beyonder show up. lol. Nicely surprised since i just read defenders. That hair full of afro sheen had me dying. It made me think of that commercial where they like "when you get your hair done they like "oh girl" and then two days later it's just "ooooooh giiiiiiiirl" lol.

It was also nice to see the avengers here even if there was some reality altering going on big time. The series is doing a good job of filling me in on monica's past and whether the real avengers are affected by this is yet to be seen but even beyond that i'm surprised how big the series feels. Also am i imagining things or is Beyonder changing shape more and more in the issue and the voice changing to become closer to monica. Almost like Beyonder is choosing what form to end up in after. Also monica's voice is very strong in this.

some of my fave scenes.
    waitshebouttophaseinacomet.jpg
    thebeyonderissayingthis.jpg
    nowtheydonepulledtheavengerstheyserious.jpg
    Last edited by jwatson; 01-18-2023 at 02:46 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Ultimate Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdn-TRCnr9w

Eve Ewing interview

1/20/2023 at 5:40 PM (central time)

Invincible Member

In this case, Monica wasn’t “being assertive”, she was literally being portrayed as cranky and foul spirited as her constant default mood with a mean expression on her face.
    Whereas until Nextwave she was more even keeled while remaining a strong enough character to lead teams and be the bane of villains existence.
    To be fair, Nextwave started as a satirical book so that's why most of the pre-existing characters acted so differently than in their previous appearances. Marvel was pretty coy about whether or not it was even in continuity for a while, but other artists started using the Nextwave designs so the eventually gave in.

Ultimate Member

MARVEL-VERSE: MONICA RAMBEAU — PHOTON GN-TPB
    Written by ROGER STERN, DWAYNE MCDUFFIE, KELLY SUE DECONNICK & CHRISTOPHER SEBELA
    Penciled by JOHN ROMITA JR., MARK BRIGHT & DEXTER SOY
    Cover by MARK BRIGHT
    Monica Rambeau has called herself Captain Marvel, Spectrum, Photon and more — but no matter the name, she's one of the most powerful heroes in the Marvel-Verse! And in Monica's first appearance, Spider-Man will learn that fact the hard way! As Monica struggles to keep her awesome energy abilities in check, will she find salvation — and a new home — with the Avengers? Monica flies solo with a new job as a ship's captain — but when hijackers target her vessel, she'll have to suit up to face their incendiary super-villain boss, Powderkeg! Then, when Carol Danvers takes on the Captain Marvel name, how does Monica feel about it? There may be trouble on the high seas for this pair of mighty Marvels! Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL (1964) #16, CAPTAIN MARVEL (1989) #1 and CAPTAIN MARVEL (2012) #7-8.
    128 PGS./Ages 10-14 …$9.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-95167-2
    Trim size: 6 x 9
    Interesting they took out the 1993 McDuffie book and the Avengers issues. I would have left them and took out Cap Marvel 2012.