Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

There's only four issues there. Adding in Avengers would've turned this from a TPB into an omnibus. They should've included the other Monica Captain Marvel one-shot though, I agree. Is it's content unsuitable for kids?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

MARVEL-VERSE: MONICA RAMBEAU — PHOTON GN-TPB
    Written by ROGER STERN, DWAYNE MCDUFFIE, KELLY SUE DECONNICK & CHRISTOPHER SEBELA
    Penciled by JOHN ROMITA JR., MARK BRIGHT & DEXTER SOY
    Cover by MARK BRIGHT
    Monica Rambeau has called herself Captain Marvel, Spectrum, Photon and more — but no matter the name, she's one of the most powerful heroes in the Marvel-Verse! And in Monica's first appearance, Spider-Man will learn that fact the hard way! As Monica struggles to keep her awesome energy abilities in check, will she find salvation — and a new home — with the Avengers? Monica flies solo with a new job as a ship's captain — but when hijackers target her vessel, she'll have to suit up to face their incendiary super-villain boss, Powderkeg! Then, when Carol Danvers takes on the Captain Marvel name, how does Monica feel about it? There may be trouble on the high seas for this pair of mighty Marvels! Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL (1964) #16, CAPTAIN MARVEL (1989) #1 and CAPTAIN MARVEL (2012) #7-8.
    128 PGS./Ages 10-14 …$9.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-95167-2
    Trim size: 6 x 9

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Interesting they took out the 1993 McDuffie book and the Avengers issues. I would have left them and took out Cap Marvel 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    There's only four issues there. Adding in Avengers would've turned this from a TPB into an omnibus. They should've included the other Monica Captain Marvel one-shot though, I agree. Is its content unsuitable for kids?
    The 1994 CAPTAIN MARVEL One-Shot dealt with racism, so perhaps...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Ultimate Member

Eve Ewing is doing the interview....

She points out it was NOT her choice to call Monica Photon.

She HINTS Spectrum and Photon might not be Monica's final name especially in the movie.

She did demand her real name be on the title.

The trailer was not done by her but someone else who was modeling Carol.

She talks about Monica's run on Avengers at the 45 minute mark...

NO TEAMS by order of her editor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdn-TRCnr9w
    Last edited by skyvolt2000; 01-20-2023 at 05:41 PM.

GOLDEN ENERGY FORM Appreciation
    One thing I have not seen in the pages of the current MONICA RAMBEAU:PHOTON series is Monica's signature energy form in non-human looking coloration. Forgive me if I have just missed pages where that form is manifest. I know it is an unnecessary visual conceit to Rambeau assuming different energy forms, but it was her signature visual for decades. She was even known as the "Golden Avenger", I would be loathe to see it discarded in favor of her looking "normal".

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I know it is an unnecessary visual conceit to Rambeau assuming different energy forms, but it was her signature visual for decades. She was even known as the "Golden Avenger", I would be loathe to see it discarded in favor of her looking "normal".
    I agree totally.

But then we run into the issue of Monica somehow being visible whenever she's in an energy form that most people cannot see with the naked eye.

Which in turns raises the question as to why Monica would ever appear in a visible form whenever she's in combat.

Which then also leaves us to wonder why Monica, while in an electromagnetic form, doesn't appear to have the exact properties that she should have while in that form -- especially as this relates to the speed of light and Monica's "cosmic awareness" while in state. Even in that gif, you notice how it looks like the bullet only appears to be moving slightly slower than Monica's turning head? Well, if she's truly in a light form in that instant, the bullet should appear to be not moving at all relative to her speed. The speed of sound (i.e., the speeding bullet) is far slower than the speed of light. Like we've seen many a speedster do, Monica would be able to pluck those bullets out of the air...or at the very least atomize them before they impacted anyone/anything.

But, oh well...comics.

She HINTS Spectrum and Photon might not be Monica's final name especially in the movie.

The movie IS called The Marvels, and if Monica uses any established codename other than sharing Carol's, she wouldn't be one. Maybe that's exactly what will happen, Monica will just be a second Captain Marvel?

That no teams edict is odd as she was literally just in Thunderbolts and the letters page at the end of the last issue indicated there was plans for the team.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

The movie IS called The Marvels, and if Monica uses any established codename other than sharing Carol's, she wouldn't be one. Maybe that's exactly what will happen, Monica will just be a second Captain Marvel?

That no teams edict is odd as she was literally just in Thunderbolts and the letters page at the end of the last issue indicated there was plans for the team.
    They didn't want her teaming up a lot in the mini.

The 1994 CAPTAIN MARVEL One-Shot dealt with racism, so perhaps...
    It deals with racism way better than 95% of Marvel and DC books have in the past 30 years.

And McDuffie did that one with Deny Cowans. That would be a good issue to have since you are presenting it to a younger audience. Should have just included everything from the first book since we have seen kid editions that have entire runs like Shuri and Ironheart at that price.

And at least on Amazon they sell very well.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Monica has to visible for the reader's eyes or else we would just be seeing streaks and blurs on the page and that's not very engaging or dynamic to read or even interesting to draw and illustrate.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

So many codenames Monica .

Interesting....

Hopefully, Spectrum wins out aa codename.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I agree totally.

But then we run into the issue of Monica somehow being visible whenever she's in an energy form that most people cannot see with the naked eye.

Which in turns raises the question as to why Monica would ever appear in a visible form whenever she's in combat.
    Maybe at some point, somebody will write a story telling how she was actually here during several great battles, like at the end of Siege or Secret Invasion, and discretly made sure that the heroes side would win.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Interesting....

Hopefully, Spectrum wins out aa codename.
    "Spectrum" does sound like a codename that would fit into that NEW WARRIORS series that was stillborn for being too gay/woke. The codenames of the team members were along the lines of Safespace, Snowflake, Screentime, etc...

I speculate that by the end of THE MARVELS, Monica takes over the Captain Marvel mantle from Carol.

have Monica detonate a planet of Brood creatures. Make her a terror-legend in the cosmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    "Spectrum" does sound like a codename that would fit into that NEW WARRIORS series that was stillborn for being too gay/woke. The codenames of the team members were along the lines of Safespace, Snowflake, Screentime, etc...

I speculate that by the end of THE MARVELS, Monica takes over the Captain Marvel mantle from Carol.
    Spectrum sounds like an ad for my cable company
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Spectacular Member

Can't wait to see The Marvels, The only reason i will see that film is because Monica.