Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Mary Jane and Black Cat issue 2 of 5 Preview

Extraordinary Member

Maybe Spider-Man fans will like this, but as someone who has followed Belasco and the soul sword for most of my life I hate everything about this. This is a horrible, stupid retcon that serves no purpose other than to cheapen the concept of the soul sword, and the Elder Gods were wiped out in a Zeb Wells masterpiece. This is not how you give Belasco a soul sword or use Belasco at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Maybe Spider-Man fans will like this, but as someone who has followed Belasco and the soul sword for most of my life I hate everything about this. This is a horrible, stupid retcon that serves no purpose other than to cheapen the concept of the soul sword, and the Elder Gods were wiped out in a Zeb Wells masterpiece. This is not how you give Belasco a soul sword or use Belasco at all.
    i know nothing about belasco or the soul sword but rest assure many spiderman fans dont like this only cause of the connection to the current run they already hate, come back later and the comments will have nothing to do with Belasco
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i know nothing about belasco or the soul sword but rest assure many spiderman fans dont like this only cause of the connection to the current run they already hate, come back later and the comments will have nothing to do with Belasco
    I wonder if Peter will accidentally obtain the soulsword or create one of his own

I know McKay primarily writes in Felicia's narration but I wonder if he ever considered giving MJ some but couldn't because it would reveal the Mystery Box. Because it does make the narrative focus feel a little lopsided.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know McKay primarily writes in Felicia's narration but I wonder if he ever considered giving MJ some but couldn't because it would reveal the Mystery Box. Because it does make the narrative focus feel a little lopsided.
    Agreed. This still feels like MJ was tacked on to a Felicia story because MacKay was told he had to use her, not because she has an organic place in the story. I guess we'll see if that feeling remains as the issues come out.

Astonishing Member

That's a pretty accurate depiction of what's happening here. The mystery box claims another book.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Agreed. This still feels like MJ was tacked on to a Felicia story because MacKay was told he had to use her, not because she has an organic place in the story. I guess we'll see if that feeling remains as the issues come out.
    I don't think Mackay is adverse to writing/using MJ, personally. Circumstances aside.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

I don't think Mackay is adverse to writing/using MJ, personally. Circumstances aside.
    I guess nothing significant happens this week

BANNED

Comics Elite over on Youtube ranked this number two on their "worst comics of the week" video

spoilers:
    Felicia and MJ treat Limbo like a big joke and MJ is described as 'figuratively useless' due to her slot powers and constant excuses for them
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Comics Elite over on Youtube ranked this number two on their "worst comics of the week" video

spoilers:
    Felicia and MJ treat Limbo like a big joke and MJ is described as 'figuratively useless' due to her slot powers and constant excuses for them
    end of spoilers
    Not Felicia
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Not Felicia
    Unfortunate so. Wells and Sony making her year even worse

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Well, that sounds a little less fun than I was expecting.

Astonishing Member

These reviewers confirm

spoilers:
    there is no explanation for MJ's powers and where/how she got them, while Felicia continues to feel guilty about Peter but refuses to say anything to MJ. In other words, issue #2 does not advance the characters - although you find out if MJ pulls any combination of skulls on her jackpot watch, the power will be not so awesome - so if you're reading because you want to know about the characters and not because you really like seeing Limbo treated as a joke, you can skip it.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-10-2023 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    These reviewers confirm

spoilers:
    there is no explanation for MJ's powers and where/how she got them, while Felicia continues to feel guilty about Peter but refuses to say anything to MJ. In other words, issue #2 does not advance the characters - although you find out if MJ pulls any combination of skulls on her jackpot watch, the power will be not so awesome - so if you're reading because you want to know about the characters and not because you really like seeing Limbo treated as a joke, you can skip it.
    end of spoilers
    It didn't sound like the reviewer hated the issue.