Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It's pretty clear to me that they're sticking around for a while (beyond this mini). I think under better circumstances people would absolutely enjoy the whole thing.
    I really don't get that sense. Assuming the series continues, yeah, but they seem easily done away with and pretty inconsequential, unless they're connected to yet another Mystery Box.

And even then I'm not convinced it's not going to turn MJ into a comedic sidekick for Felicia. She came off more confident and capable in the original one-shot just relying on her acting skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really don't get that sense. Assuming the series continues, yeah, but they seem easily done away with and pretty inconsequential, unless they're connected to yet another Mystery Box.

And even then I'm not convinced it's not going to turn MJ into a comedic sidekick for Felicia. She came off more confident and capable in the original one-shot just relying on her acting skills.
    Just the way this whole thing has been structured, it doesn't seem like she just has this device for this one story. Feels like the set-up for more down the road (which makes sense since Marvel has clearly thought about an ongoing starring these two). But yeah, they're pretty easy to get rid of or ignore.

The problem with this mini is that both MJ and Felicia's characterizations are shackled by the Wells run.

Anxiously awaiting the Paul 2099 book
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Just the way this whole thing has been structured, it doesn't seem like she just has this device for this one story. Feels like the set-up for more down the road (which makes sense since Marvel has clearly thought about an ongoing starring these two). But yeah, they're pretty easy to get rid of or ignore.

The problem with this mini is that both MJ and Felicia's characterizations are shackled by the Wells run.
    To me it depends on how connected it is to the mystery boxes.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Anxiously awaiting the Paul 2099 book
    We also got to have the Paul meets Paul 2099 special featuring the first appearance of Paul 2211!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

To me it depends on how connected it is to the mystery boxes.
    I honestly think this is Jed MacKay's story. And he's laying the groundwork for future stories should there be more MJ/BC team-ups.

I honestly think this is Jed MacKay's story. And he's laying the groundwork for future stories should there be more MJ/BC team-ups.
    I think to an extent, but if MJ's powers are tied to the mystery box, it's also tied to Wells' run.

I think to an extent, but if MJ's powers are tied to the mystery box, it's also tied to Wells' run.
    I think they are tied to the X-Men. My theory is that the X-Men gave her the power device after Moira attacked her so she could defend herself in the future.

(Marvel did claim Dark Web would explore MJ's relationship with the X-Men.)

Astonishing Member

I think they are tied to the X-Men. My theory is that the X-Men gave her the power device after Moira attacked her so she could defend herself in the future.

(Marvel did claim Dark Web would explore MJ's relationship with the X-Men.)
    Cebulski also said they would never disrespect or disregard Mary Jane and yet *points to Wells‘s run*

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Cebulski also said they would never disrespect or disregard Mary Jane and yet *points to Wells‘s run*
    I don't think Editorial considers the Wells run as being that. I, and many others, would obviously disagree.

Incredible Member

My bet is that the powers are gone at the end of the mini with either minimal or no real explanation. I think it was Mckays idea a way to incorporate MJ. Has no actual tie to the main story.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    My bet is that the powers are gone at the end of the mini with either minimal or no real explanation. I think it was Mckays idea a way to incorporate MJ. Has no actual tie to the main story.
    It's there to be used later (probably by MacKay in case there are future MJ/BC comics). MJ specifically asks Felicia not to tell Peter about them. The whole mini is slowly revealing how the powers actually work and why MJ is so reluctant to use them. MJ and her power device feels like a thing they'll do for a while even if it doesn't ever tie directly into the Wells run. (And the way they are written, they don't have to be.)

Astonishing Member

And it’s not just MJ’s powers. MJ’s and Felicia’s status quos are tied to Wells’s run, to the extent that both characters are being written out of character with Felicia’s thoughts revolving around a boy and fretting over revealing her relationship, to the point that she’s off her game.

And MJ is not MJ. There is nothing MJ Watson about this character. She’s now a PTA mommy whose only concern is her kids and who has a Ben10 Omnitron so she won’t be completely useless on the “heist.” She’s treating Limbo like a joke: “think of it like a Jim Henson film” tee hee. And her powers are being played for a joke. None of her reactions feel authentic, and MacKay tries to handwave that as, “oh, the things I saw in my…six months away. Yeah…six months, sure.” Where is the MJ who uses her charm and charisma? Her acting experience? Her ability to stay calm under pressure and think fast? Instead, she just stands around with her arms crossed or running from demons or clutching onto Felicia when she’s not expository dialoguing what little expository dialogue she’s allowed without setting off the mystery box proximity alarms.

And MacKay, who usually has a great handle on Felicia, is writing her like a thirteen year old who just accepted an offer to go steady from the thirteen year old boy who was going steady with her frenemy last week, instead of like adults who have complicated but adult relationships. Felicia even acknowledges MJ would be fine if she told her and yet….NO! She CAN’T! Not NOW! *slaps the back of her hand to her forehead and falls in a faint* OH! The DRAH-MA!…

…that is completely forced and artificial and out of character.

The Felicia who faced down Tamara in Iron Cat would never. It’s hard to believe that miniseries ended just a few short months ago. And that MacKay wrote them both.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    And it’s not just MJ’s powers. MJ’s and Felicia’s status quos are tied to Wells’s run, to the extent that both characters are being written out of character with Felicia’s thoughts revolving around a boy and fretting over revealing her relationship, to the point that she’s off her game.

And MJ is not MJ. There is nothing MJ Watson about this character. She’s now a PTA mommy whose only concern is her kids and who has a Ben10 Omnitron so she won’t be completely useless on the “heist.” She’s treating Limbo like a joke: “think of it like a Jim Henson film” tee hee. And her powers are being played for a joke. None of her reactions feel authentic, and MacKay tries to handwave that as, “oh, the things I saw in my…six months away. Yeah…six months, sure.” Where is the MJ who uses her charm and charisma? Her acting experience? Her ability to stay calm under pressure and think fast? Instead, she just stands around with her arms crossed or running from demons or clutching onto Felicia when she’s not expository dialoguing what little expository dialogue she’s allowed without setting off the mystery box proximity alarms.

And MacKay, who usually has a great handle on Felicia, is writing her like a thirteen year old who just accepted an offer to go steady from the thirteen year old boy who was going steady with her frenemy last week, instead of like adults who have complicated but adult relationships. Felicia even acknowledges MJ would be fine if she told her and yet….NO! She CAN’T! Not NOW! *slaps the back of her hand to her forehead and falls in a faint* OH! The DRAH-MA!…

…that is completely forced and artificial and out of character.

The Felicia who faced down Tamara in Iron Cat would never. It’s hard to believe that miniseries ended just a few short months ago. And that MacKay wrote them both.
    The Wells run is just a black hole of misery that sucks in anything and everything.

Astonishing Member

The Wells run is just a black hole of misery that sucks in anything and everything.
    I swear "No one is safe" is a meme with Wells' ASM at this point.