Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Yes! Especially after all the development Ewing put into Moondragon. She's one of the top telepaths in the universe after the merge with 616 Heather. I really wanted to see what else she can do

It would be nice for Jean to have a comic rival!
    Yes, to all of this, but especially to the Cosmic Comic Rival!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I KNEW that this would happen.
    The GOTG franchise is particularly susceptible to synergy, and a new movie means that they would drop the expanded roster in favor of the movie one.
    I wouldn't be surprised if a 'young' and/or initially 'evil' Adam Warlock shows up in this new run to further tie-in to the movie.

The first clue that the Ewing roster was going to get blown up was when Ewing brought Nova Prime over to X-Men Red.
    He probably knew that this was in the works, and wanted to save Rich from comic limbo.

Another problem is that Ewing's GOTG run, despite probably being the best run in GOTG history, didn't seem to really sell well, which probably justified the need for a new direction in the eyes of editorial.

Anyway, let's have a look at the evolution of the cast:

EWING'S ROSTER - [/] for members who are staying, [X] for members who are leaving
    Main Cast
    Star-Lord [/]
    Gamora [/]
    Nova Prime [X]
    Drax [/]
    Rocket Raccoon [?]
    Groot [?]
    Mantis [/]
    Captain Marvel (Phyla-Vell) [X]
    Moondragon [X]
    Marvel Boy [X]
    Hercules [X]
    Super-Skrull [X]
    Quasar (Wendell Vaughn) [X]
    Quasar (Avril Kincaid) [X]
    Supporting Cast
    Blackjack O'Hare [X]
    Prince of Power [X]
    Hulkling [X]
    Wiccan [X]

Out of the 18 members, 4 appear to be carrying on to the new iteration of the team.
    Nebula, who's never been on a proper GOTG team before, will be joining them for the first time.
    I put [?] for Rocket and Groot because they are very likely to be involved in this book despite not being in the initial line-up.
    Like I said above, I also expect Adam Warlock to join this team in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The last one lasted 18 issues. The one before that was only 12 though. It'll be somewhere in that range I suspect.
    The Duggan run lasted 17 issues, the Cates run lasted 12 issues, the Ewing run lasted 18 issues.
    Both the Duggan and Ewing runs had events attached to them though - Infinity Wars, The Last Annihilation.

That said, I suspect editorial is aiming for a 20 issue run this time.
    Ewing ended his run at GOTG 180. A 20-issue Vol 7 run will take it all the way to Guardians of the Galaxy 200, so the run can end on a big note.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that we get to see Nova on X-Men Red, but it's not his book and I don't think we'll see him do anything too fantastic over there when there are so many mutants that need the limelight. He's only supporting cast over there remember.

And I love that Ewing is such a big Nova fan! Maybe he can write a solo for him in the future?
    I'd be curious about a Nova solo by Ewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Giving it a chance for sure--the designs won me over. Really hoping this look sticks for Mantis: t's a lovely mix of Bachalo and Anime, and distinctly Asian without being overdone.

Space western? Sure, why not. Kev Walker should draw the heck out of it.

The roster will grow, but I'm pretty pleased we've more than one woman in the initial five.

Hope it's worth the Hype!
    I don't hate the premise or the designs so much as just the jarring change from the previous iteration, although a part of me knew the latter wasn't sustainable.

I guess I'm so used to green Mantis that it's weird seeing her without it.

Not too optimistic about the next run. I prefer Ewing's more classic status quo and would have liked to have seen that continued rather than immediately walked back.

I just hate seeing writers like Ewing go around fixing broken or over-syngergized books, setting a new, cool status quo, only for the next writer to completely ignore it.
    Last edited by Celtic1967; 01-07-2023 at 08:50 AM.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Has Nebula ever not been a villain?

Like I was told she had a short mini-series in 2020 by Vita Ayla that got cancelled due to the pandemic. Had her getting amnesia and becoming a better person before the pandemic forced it to end at issue 2.

Has that been followed up since?

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I can't believe 616 Nebula is a good guy now cuz of the ***ing movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Worried about Mantis. I truly hope they don’t attempt to write her as the MCU version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Wait we're going back to a strictly movie line-up again?

Well thats fucking disappointing
    Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    The lack of Nova and other non-movie cosmic characters is definitely a bit disappointing.
    [sarcasm]Yay for corporate synergy![/sarcasm]
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, to all of this, but especially to the Cosmic Comic Rival!
    Glad you caught my typo there! Damn auto correct! I meant cosmic rival

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post
    I KNEW that this would happen.
    The GOTG franchise is particularly susceptible to synergy, and a new movie means that they would drop the expanded roster in favor of the movie one.
    I wouldn't be surprised if a 'young' and/or initially 'evil' Adam Warlock shows up in this new run to further tie-in to the movie.

The first clue that the Ewing roster was going to get blown up was when Ewing brought Nova Prime over to X-Men Red.
    He probably knew that this was in the works, and wanted to save Rich from comic limbo.

Another problem is that Ewing's GOTG run, despite probably being the best run in GOTG history, didn't seem to really sell well, which probably justified the need for a new direction in the eyes of editorial.

Anyway, let's have a look at the evolution of the cast:

EWING'S ROSTER - [/] for members who are staying, [X] for members who are leaving
    Main Cast
    Star-Lord [/]
    Gamora [/]
    Nova Prime [X]
    Drax [/]
    Rocket Raccoon [?]
    Groot [?]
    Mantis [/]
    Captain Marvel (Phyla-Vell) [X]
    Moondragon [X]
    Marvel Boy [X]
    Hercules [X]
    Super-Skrull [X]
    Quasar (Wendell Vaughn) [X]
    Quasar (Avril Kincaid) [X]
    Supporting Cast
    Blackjack O'Hare [X]
    Prince of Power [X]
    Hulkling [X]
    Wiccan [X]

Out of the 18 members, 4 appear to be carrying on to the new iteration of the team.
    Nebula, who's never been on a proper GOTG team before, will be joining them for the first time.
    I put [?] for Rocket and Groot because they are very likely to be involved in this book despite not being in the initial line-up.
    Like I said above, I also expect Adam Warlock to join this team in the future.
    From what I understand from previous GOTG threads is that Ewings run was selling a decent amount of units and was above the so called cancellation threshold. And in fact it was shown to have a growing audience which made the cancellation even stranger.

But I think Ewings run was never expected to last longer than what it went on for. He had a story and told it.

Glad you caught my typo there! Damn auto correct! I meant cosmic rival
    Yeah, I thought you did, we see eye-to-eye on this idea. No problem.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I think The Guardians Of The Galaxy died with the first movie. The second Star Lord started dancing around to James Gunn's Dad Rock soundtrack in that first movie it was over for The Guardians and all of Marvel Cosmic as well. Our only hope is that Nova can save us.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Has Nebula ever not been a villain?
    She's never really been a hero, but she has worked with good guys a couple of times in recent memory. In the last THANOS solo series she worked with Starfox and Champion to help save the universe from Thanos' son Thane. And in Cates' GOTG run she was part of the "Dark Guardians" roster led by Starfox to try and prevent Thanos from being reborn.

Like I was told she had a short mini-series in 2020 by Vita Ayla that got cancelled due to the pandemic. Had her getting amnesia and becoming a better person before the pandemic forced it to end at issue 2.

Has that been followed up since?
    No, it hasn't. I am still hoping that they will finally release the rest of that story, like they did with the GWEN STACY mini that was also shelved due to the pandemic. Just release the whole thing collected into one giant-size one-shot. The first two issues were really good, so I definitely want to see the rest of it!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I think The Guardians Of The Galaxy died with the first movie. The second Star Lord started dancing around to James Gunn's Dad Rock soundtrack in that first movie it was over for The Guardians and all of Marvel Cosmic as well. Our only hope is that Nova can save us.
    Yep, spot on.

When will they learn that these "fans" of the guardians movies do not buy the f*&king comics otherwise they wouldn't be cancelled every 10-12 issues.

The movie line up is utterly dull and boring and has failed every single time, the Ewing run with NEW members was actually great and fantastic to read but he was packed off to the X-line to try and save it and cates had already killed that run anyway.

I also LOVED the uniforms, I give this run 10 issues. FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    You hit the nail on the head with that take and I absolutely agree Nova is our only hope.