Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    YMMV but I don't think Circe's casual wear outfits here have aged very well.
    Circe’s immortal and rolls with the times. I enjoy a bit of flamboyance with her from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I like that the veteran writers include more thoughts, dialogue and captions. Today's comics are so sparse in comparison to older fare.
    I agree. I like the effect sometimes, but just as much want to see conversations between characters and some thought bubbles.

Side Note: Maxima needs to return as a Superman villain specifically and broader DCU villain. She’s incredibly powerful and can go toe-to-toe with Superman and he has sooooo feeeeew women villains. (Bring back Obsession and Rampage too!)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I agree. I like the effect sometimes, but just as much want to see conversations between characters and some thought bubbles.

Side Note: Maxima needs to return as a Superman villain specifically and broader DCU villain. She’s incredibly powerful and can go toe-to-toe with Superman and he has sooooo feeeeew women villains. (Bring back Obsession and Rampage too!)
    Thought bubbles are like a lost art. They made the post-COIE Batman a lot more human laying out his thoughts before stylishly written captions accentuated the Emobat transformation.

I think Maxima needs to stay away from Superman, like Xena doing her thing without Hercules. I see her as a more neutral figure in a space warlord culture. Nice mention of Rampage but I'd make the similar-looking Mongal a nemesis to Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I like that the veteran writers include more thoughts, dialogue and captions. Today's comics are so sparse in comparison to older fare.
    I completely agree. I was just thinking about how it's a bummer that I can get through a floppy in 10 mins. Perez's run feels so rich and full in comparison and I love how much color the captions and extra prose added. It's also something I love about Gail Simone's run - it's stylistically modern but feels much fuller because she spends so much time in Diana's head.

That said, wordy can be clunky and I think that was Jimenez's issue at times. But Rucka's runs were both very dialog-heavy and his work never felt too wordy because the conversations flowed so well.
    Last edited by bardkeep; 01-17-2023 at 09:09 AM.

Her whole post-crisis series was underrated.

Although I didn't like Simone's run much. I rate everything else above Simone's run.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I completely agree. I was just thinking about how it's a bummer that I can get through a floppy in 10 mins. Perez's run feels so rich and full in comparison and I love how much color the captions and extra prose added. It's also something I love about Gail Simone's run - it's stylistically modern but feels much fuller because she spends so much time in Diana's head.

That said, wordy can be clunky and I think that was Jimenez's issue at times. But Rucka's runs were both very dialog-heavy and his work never felt too wordy because the conversations flowed so well.
    I also miss all the descriptive, story telling panels ( I can't think of the term) ... The stuff that read" with the swiftness of thought, Wonder Woman lassos the oncoming missiles and ....". They added a lot to the stories, imo. As well as thought bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post

Yes! A single comic from Perez can take longer to read than a four issue arc of today. Especially during the first 36.