View Poll Results: Which Black Canary Origin Do You Prefer?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre Crisis Dinah Drake Lance (Daughter of Detective)

13 15.85%
  • Post Crisis Dinah Laurel Lance (Mother-Daughter Superhero Legacy)

62 75.61%
  • Nu-52 Dinah Drake (Orphan Trained In Dojo/Team 7)

0 0%
  • Arroweverse (Laurel Lance)

1 1.22%
  • Arroweverse (Sara Lance)

2 2.44%
  • Other (please specify)

4 4.88%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Clicked the wrong button, Dinah Sr. and Dinah Jr.

With 47 people having voted, the two most popular choices are:
    * Post-Crisis Dinah Laurel Lance (Mother-Daughter Superhero Legacy) = 38 votes
    * Pre-Crisis Dinah Drake Lance (Daughter of Detective) = 7 votes

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    The mother-daughter origin any day. Though I think at this point it might make more sense for it to be a multi-generational legacy, with the current Dinah being the granddaughter or even great-granddaughter of the original.
    I finally broke down and voted for "Pre Crisis Dinah Drake Lance (Daughter of Detective)" because I really did enjoy that story when it first came out.
    Also, the present-day Black Canary really does need some changes to an origin for her since the mother-daughter link won't make sense without something to account for the growing age gap between the Golden Age and 21st century versions.

With 51 people having voted, the two most popular choices are:
    * Post-Crisis Dinah Laurel Lance (Mother-Daughter Superhero Legacy) = 41 votes
    * Pre-Crisis Dinah Drake Lance (Daughter of Detective) = 8 votes

"Arroweverse (Sara Lance)" and "Other (please specify)" have one vote for each.

With 53 people having voted,
    * Post-Crisis Dinah Laurel Lance (Mother-Daughter Superhero Legacy) = 42 votes
    * Pre-Crisis Dinah Drake Lance (Daughter of Detective) = 8 votes
    * "Other" = 2 votes
    * Arroweverse (Sara Lance) = 1 vote

NOTE: Thread / poll first created in January 2023.
    -------------------------

With 56 people having voted,
    * Post-Crisis Dinah Laurel Lance (Mother-Daughter Superhero Legacy) = 44 votes
    * Pre-Crisis Dinah Drake Lance (Daughter of Detective) = 9 votes
    * "Other" = 2 votes

No love yet for "Nu-52 Dinah Drake (Orphan Trained In Dojo/Team 7)".

I like the legacy origin. The Golden Age BC can keep the pre-Crisis origin and the current incarnation can be her legacy. Mother-daughter would be ideal, but impossible if there's no time travel involved.

With 60 people having voted,
    * Post-Crisis Dinah Laurel Lance (Mother-Daughter Superhero Legacy) = 48 votes
    * "Other" = 2 votes

Still no votes yet for "Nu-52 Dinah Drake (Orphan Trained In Dojo/Team 7)".

Spectacular Member

Dinah Drake Lance-original origin, complete with joining Justice League in the 60s.
    Dinah Laurel Lance- Post-Crisis super-powered daughter who started as a superhero in the 80s.
    In a world like New Frontier or Superman/Batman Generations, where the characters age in real time.

Dinah Drake Lance-original origin, complete with joining Justice League in the 60s.
    I'm a fan of that one, too.

In a world like New Frontier or Superman/Batman Generations, where the characters age in real time.
    I'm a fan of Dinah Drake Lance original original origin even with a timeslide andwith no JSA in her past, just as happened with WW transitioning out of the golden age.

But I am interested in the idea of the heroes' stories actually ending, even though it can't happen in mainstream universe. Though I prefer those that don't go for depressing endings. I'm always interested in the idea of when the unpowered/less powered would retire - when they just can't physically do what they once did, much as most professional athletes can't. Not that they have to be beat up and banged up from injuries (as again, many athletes are). But just aging to the point where they aren't in their prime anymore - have decades left of life, and aren't old, but can't keep up what they once could. Even moreso for those that work on teams, and don't want endanger teammates. What do folks like Dinah do next, provided they don't want to devote their attention to training new gens of heroes. But really, we see so little of life outside herodom now for so many heroes, I just couldn't begin to say.

With 66 people having voted,
    * Post-Crisis Dinah Laurel Lance (Mother-Daughter Superhero Legacy) = 52 votes
    * "Other" = 3 votes
    * Arroweverse (Laurel Lance) = 1 vote

Still no votes yet for "Nu-52 Dinah Drake (Orphan Trained In Dojo/Team 7)".

Retired

I don't like the 1983 stupid story that had Dinah be her own daughter/her own mother--that doesn't hold up if you think about it for two seconds. That was only introduced in the middle of 1983 and was pretty much a moot point by the middle of 1985, with a Crisis going on that would totally change the continuity. You could even argue that since strange events presaged the Crisis--the whole 1983 story was a time-space distortion that also fiddled with the greatest minds on Earth-One (Bats, Supes, Flash, Ralph), so they couldn't see that this story made no sense.

What I detest is when fandom retroactively acts like this 1983 fiasco was the reality in all the previous comics. No. When we read our comics from 1947 through the middle of 1983, there was only one Black Canary and that was Dinah Drake--the same one who had relationships with Johnny Thunder, Larry Lance and Oliver Queen.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't like the 1983 stupid story that had Dinah be her own daughter/her own mother--that doesn't hold up if you think about it for two seconds. That was only introduced in the middle of 1983 and was pretty much a moot point by the middle of 1985, with a Crisis going on that would totally change the continuity. You could even argue that since strange events presaged the Crisis--the whole 1983 story was a time-space distortion that also fiddled with the greatest minds on Earth-One (Bats, Supes, Flash, Ralph), so they couldn't see that this story made no sense.

What I detest is when fandom retroactively acts like this 1983 fiasco was the reality in all the previous comics. No. When we read our comics from 1947 through the middle of 1983, there was only one Black Canary and that was Dinah Drake--the same one who had relationships with Johnny Thunder, Larry Lance and Oliver Queen.
    As I posted in another thread recently, DC should have just created an Earth-1 Black Canary instead of using a middle-aged (allegedly - nobody could tell this from the artwork or storyline during the Bronze Age) Dinah from Earth-2. The former would have been the one that joined the JLA and had the relationship with Ollie. If only the artists who drew her during the '60s had given her some crow's feet or some greys in her hair, maybe they would have membered BC's age and followed up on my idea instead.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    As I posted in another thread recently, DC should have just created an Earth-1 Black Canary instead of using a middle-aged (allegedly - nobody could tell this from the artwork or storyline during the Bronze Age) Dinah from Earth-2. The former would have been the one that joined the JLA and had the relationship with Ollie. If only the artists who drew her during the '60s had given her some crow's feet or some greys in her hair, maybe they would have membered BC's age and followed up on my idea instead.
    That would have worked, too. But really I don't mind now and I didn't mind then if Dinah's age was older by the calendar, because you could suppose there was some pseudo-science that explained her youth. Of those in the League, Oliver seemed one of the older guys and of those in the Society, Dinah always seemed the younger--so their ages met in the middle.

Roy Thomas was determined to lay claim to as many characters as he could--as the Earth-Two writer-editor--so he tried to link Earth-One characters (and even Earth-S and Earth-X) to Earth-Two in some way. Which might explain why he was willing to turn our brains inside out with the stupid 1983 retcon.

Thomas retcon was weird (imagine having all of your mothers memories and memories of her having sex with your Dad >_>) but I think the mother-daughter thing ultimately benefited the character in the long run.

Canary is one of the characters that really benefited from the Crisis. Thank god for Peter David, Alan Brennert and Mark Waid for making the mother-daughter transition more straightforward.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly