View Poll Results: Cah Wells turn things around?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's too late. Time for everyone to move on.

65 71.43%
  • There's nothing wrong with this run.

12 13.19%
  • They can still turn things around.

14 15.38%
Page 30 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Yes. Why wouldn't they be?
    has anything important come from them just wondering what i miss
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    has anything important come from them just wondering what i miss
    Not really.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That wasn't his point, although there is the question of the batting average of the marriage.
    Of course that was his point. There is no other rational interpretation of his words.

*looks at The Lost Hunt, which runs entire orbits around the sun around Wells’s run*

And he’s empirically wrong.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    This is... um... a starry eyed impression of how healthy relationships work. It's not about having no tensions; it's about trusting each other to catch each other when the tension gets too much.
    We can do with more well-written depictions of healthy relationships.
    That sounds like an emotional crutch which is kinda the problem.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Of course that was his point. There is no other rational interpretation of his words.

*looks at The Lost Hunt, which runs entire orbits around the sun around Wells’s run*

And he’s empirically wrong.
    Also, didn't Slott brag about pitching that 'ray of hope' story "Sinister 60th" for AF#1000? They billed that as a story set in the 'future' and while the running gag of the story was that they couldn't confirm Peter and MJ were married, it was quite evident they were.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 01-25-2023 at 05:33 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Also, didn't Slott brag about pitching that 'ray of hope' story "Sinister 60th" for AF#1000?
    You're villainising a writer because you don't like their stories.

People were complaining that Marvel "gave" a Peter & MJ story to Dan Slott instead of someone else. Dan Slott clarified that Marvel didn't hand him a Peter & MJ story, he pitched the story to them (which is how it usually works). That's not bragging.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I was talking about the idea that the relationship has a safety net rather than the idea that each partner needs a crutch for their emotions. But, what is wrong with using an emotional crutch now and then? It's better than being too proud to ask for help. (That is sometimes one of Peter's more off-putting character flaws.) The idea that you can get by without ever suffering emotional injury is a misguided idea of what emotional strength is.

When I was younger, so much younger than today
    I never needed anybody's help in any way.
    But now those days are gone I'm not so self-assured
    Now I find I've changed my mind
    I've opened up the doors. (Lennon, McCartney)

I think it's easier to live it than to explain it on a forum like this.
    But the idea that a healthy relationship will have no tensions is not a good foundation for a healthy relationship.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

How do I word this….

What do you think a healthy relationship of equal partners looks like?

But the idea that a healthy relationship will have no tensions is not a good foundation for a healthy relationship.
    Agree to all of this.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-25-2023 at 09:06 AM.

Astonishing Member

TASM (Vol. 6) is rivalling TASM (Vol. 3) and TASM (Vol. 4) for my most hated comic book run ever.

How do I word this….

One where the woman looks out at the window constantly, clearly, which's why Spidey and MJ can never be together.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

How do I word this….

A relationship that doesn’t feel like he’s filling a quota. It feels like MJ is more there for Peter’s emotional needs rather than Peter being there for her. The Spider-Man excuse only goes so far.

It doesn’t help that most of friends are essentially from Peter’s social circle. It reinforces the idea that her life revolves around Peter.

Astonishing Member

I was talking about the idea that the relationship has a safety net rather than the idea that each partner needs a crutch for their emotions. But, what is wrong with using an emotional crutch now and then? It's better than being too proud to ask for help. (That is sometimes one of Peter's more off-putting character flaws.) The idea that you can get by without ever suffering emotional injury is a misguided idea of what emotional strength is.

When I was younger, so much younger than today
    I never needed anybody's help in any way.
    But now those days are gone I'm not so self-assured
    Now I find I've changed my mind
    I've opened up the doors. (Lennon, McCartney)

It’s not that Peter can never have struggle. It’s that he seems to enjoy the struggle more than the relationship itself. This isn’t exclusive to MJ. It extends to all of his relationships.

Astonishing Member

It’s not that Peter can never have struggle. It’s that he seems to enjoy the struggle more than the relationship itself. This isn’t exclusive to MJ. It extends to all of his relationships.
    You keep saying this, but you never give examples.

There is no evidence a guy like Peter has this character trait, and plenty of evidence that he doesn't.

Astonishing Member

A relationship that doesn’t feel like he’s filling a quota. It feels like MJ is more there for Peter’s emotional needs rather than Peter being there for her. The Spider-Man excuse only goes so far.

It doesn’t help that most of friends are essentially from Peter’s social circle. It reinforces the idea that her life revolves around Peter.
    You are completely moving the goalpost.

First you said this:
    Because if the tension doesn’t go away then why were you in a relationship to begin with?
    To which you received this reply:

This is... um... a starry eyed impression of how healthy relationships work. It's not about having no tensions; it's about trusting each other to catch each other when the tension gets too much.
    We can do with more well-written depictions of healthy relationships.
    And you then said:

So I repeat, while trying to choose my words carefully: what do you think a healthy relationship is?

This is not a reply to that; this is you moving the goalposts.

And anyway: you thinking it feels like a quota is your opinion; the text doesn't bear that out at all and I suggest you read JMD's run on Spectacular and JMS's run on Amazing because it's hard to see how anyone can read those runs and rationally make this assertion. Also, in healthy relationships people care about their partner's emotional needs.

As for MJ's friends: they're HER friends, too. Friends don't "belong" to one person over another and that's a really reductive and selfish view of friendship. She has her own relationship with Felicia outside of Peter, she was friends with Jill Stacy first, and I love that Carlie has pretty much become her supporting cast instead of Peter's. Also, MJ has her own life outside of Peter, always has since the Lee/Romita days which is part of the reason why she's such a successful character.

Honestly. Read the books.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-25-2023 at 05:13 PM.

Astonishing Member

You are completely moving the goalpost.

First you said this:

To which you received this reply:

And you then said:

So I repeat, while trying to choose my words carefully: what do you think a healthy relationship is?

This is not a reply to that; this is you moving the goalposts.

And anyway: you thinking it feels like a quota is your opinion; the text doesn't bear that out at all and I suggest you read JMD's run on Spectacular and JMS's run on Amazing because it's hard to see how anyone can read those runs and rationally make this assertion. Also, in healthy relationships people care about their partner's emotional needs.

As for MJ's friends: they're HER friends, too. Friends don't "belong" to one person over another and that's a really reductive and selfish view of friendship. She has her own relationship with Felicia outside of Peter, she was friends with Jill Stacy first, and I love that Carlie has pretty much become her supporting cast instead of Peter's. Also, MJ has her own life outside of Peter, always has since the Lee/Romita days which is part of the reason why she's such a successful character.

Honestly. Read the books.
    You keep on saying read the books but they’re all he stories that I’m using as evidence. I was seriously unimpressed with their relationship there.