View Poll Results: Cah Wells turn things around?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's too late. Time for everyone to move on.

65 71.43%
  • There's nothing wrong with this run.

12 13.19%
  • They can still turn things around.

14 15.38%
Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    He's winging it. The last part of the interview says they'd 'see how it went', would you say something like that if you had a sure fire game plan? One that you would commit to no matter what? Without compromise? That's something Slott did for better or worse, no matter how much it pissed people off. We've already seen Wells' run see many, many course corrections because they "saw how it went" and it went badly.
    What were those again, my man? I'm not saying it out of blithe disregard for your position, either--you like what you like--I'm genuinely curious

Is it just those mysterious rumors of commercial failure flying about?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Perhaps a new female debt collector who ends up falling in love with Peter.
    A new female debt collector who ends up falling in love with Peter and is revealed to be a serial killer completely out of the blue and then killed off in a scene that fails to explain why the female debt collector was hanging around trying to extort money when Peter’s hospital debts were already paid (and forget why other residents of the apartment building didn’t have the debt collector arrested for loitering since the debt collector was apparently hanging around 24/7 - and without apparent access to a bathroom since the debt collector never left their post…)
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-07-2023 at 08:31 AM.

BANNED

I don't know if the negativity towards Wells on these boards is representative of the majority of readers. I don't know how you would determine that with any degree of accuracy. Regardless, it seems to me we could replace "Wells" with "Slott" or "Spencer" and be in the same place....some people (not me) will never be satisfied with any writer that doesn't put Pete and MJ back together a couple, that is the only metric that seems to matter to them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    some people (not me) will never be satisfied with any writer that doesn't put Pete and MJ back together a couple, that is the only metric that seems to matter to them.
    Characters acting like themselves is the only meteoric that matters to us, correct.

Astonishing Member

Maybe, but Wells isn't kind of writer, who gives a damn about fan reception, he knows exactly, what he's writing and that's kind of reaction he expected.
    Just to make it clear - every run which doesn't involve Peter and MJ being a couple will have reaction like this, so, it doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by Morgoth; 01-07-2023 at 11:44 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Maybe, but Wells isn't kind of writer, who gives a damn about fan reception, he knows exactly, what he's writing and that's kind of reaction he expected.
    Oh, he mentions in interviews he looks at fan reaction. And he knows “people are angry” (which sounds to me even he knows it’s NOT just relegated to this forum, despite people’s attempts to minimize the critical reaction). And he’s said multiple times it didn’t feel good - it feels terrible - when readers don’t like his work. But I will give him major credit for being professional and keeping his head down and continuing on his (poorly advised) course instead of, say, picking fights with readers on social media.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Just to make it clear - every run which doesn't involve Peter and MJ being a couple will have reaction like this, so, it doesn't really matter.
    Spencer's run kept Peter and MJ together all the way through and people complained about the length and execution of it's long-term myth arc, so this is yet another load of nonsense conjured up by anti-Marriage/MJ fans when shifting their goalposts.

Beyond is considered a terrible Ben Reilly event and Peter and MJ were together, but guess what? The MJ/Black Cat team-up is highly regarded as the best part, and plays on how important both women are to Peter Parker.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 01-07-2023 at 11:52 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Spencer's run kept Peter and MJ together all the way through and people complained about the length and execution of it's long-term myth arc, so this is yet another load of nonsense. Beyond is considered a terrible Ben Reilly event and Peter and MJ were together, with the MJ/Black Cat team-up highly regarded as the best part.
    People also ignore Chip Zdarsky’s Spectacular run was pretty well received. As was Gerry Conway’s Spiral miniseries during the Slott years. I’m seeing a lot of love for the current Deadly Neighborhood Spider-Man, the story about the Demon Bear, on social media even if people have been quiet here. Cantwell’s Gold Goblin is receiving almost unanimous love, despite being tied to an aspect of Wells’s status quo that has been roundly mocked, with some of Wells’s fiercest critics being the first to praise Gold Goblin.

It’s just that things that people like don’t get as much chatter as things people don’t like. That’s true with almost any consumer product.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-07-2023 at 12:02 PM.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    People also ignore Chip Zdarsky’s Spectacular run was pretty well received. As was Gerry Conway’s Spiral miniseries during the Slott years. I’m seeing a lot of love for the current Deadly Neighborhood Spider-Man, the story about the Demon Bear, on social media even if people have been quiet here. Cantwell’s Gold Goblin is receiving almost unanimous love, despite being tied to an aspect of Wells’s status quo that has been roundly derided, with some of Wells’s fiercest critics being the first to praise Gold Goblin.

It’s just that things that people like don’t get as much chatter as things people don’t like. That’s true with almost any consumer product.
    That's also a small sample size when people saw I've seen a lot. A lot would require more than 50 people the correct term a small sizable amount of people

Extraordinary Member

Wells has done great work for Marvel over on the X-Men. His New Mutants and Hellions runs are among the best X-Men books of the past 15 years. His Spider-Man should be much better than it is.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Wells has done great work for Marvel over on the X-Men. His New Mutants and Hellions runs are among the best X-Men books of the past 15 years. His Spider-Man should be much better than it is.
    It's because writing a satellite book will always be easier than writing a main book. Writing a main book means you're doing all the heavy lifting yourself, and in a satellite book someone else is doing it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    It's because writing a satellite book will always be easier than writing a main book. Writing a main book means you're doing all the heavy lifting yourself, and in a satellite book someone else is doing it for you.
    It's not easier, given the limitations. But you don't get blamed for the status quo.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's not easier, given the limitations. But you don't get blamed for the status quo.
    It depends on what franchise you're talking about. An X-Men satellite title like Hellions will allow for more freedom since you don't have to worry about the popular characters like Cyclops, Wolverine, etc. But you can't rely on the popularity of said characters to draw interest to your title either.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    First, I would like to say that if you're enjoying this run, then you are enjoying this run. A statement like the thread title is more of a general sentiment than a specific one.

I think it's fair to say that the Wells run hasn't exactly been the most popular with fans. And while online spaces have never been the best measuring stick, it's fair to say that there has been a pervasive sense of negativity around this run that has been bleeding onto the page.

I ask. Is it too late for Wells to turn this around? What would he have to do in order to accomplish this? Or is it too little, too late at this point?
    The only thing I honestly want turned around, reversed is what happened to Ben Reilly.

I actually enjoy the Gold Goblin sub-plot. Everything else I can live with; I just want Ben Reilly, either as Scarlet or as Chasm, doing heroic stuff and getting the character development he so righteously deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    The only thing I honestly want turned around, reversed is what happened to Ben Reilly.

I actually enjoy the Gold Goblin sub-plot. Everything else I can live with; I just want Ben Reilly, either as Scarlet or as Chasm, doing heroic stuff and getting the character development he so righteously deserves.
    How would you feel if Ben died at the end of this?