View Poll Results: Cah Wells turn things around?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's too late. Time for everyone to move on.

65 71.43%
  • There's nothing wrong with this run.

12 13.19%
  • They can still turn things around.

14 15.38%
Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

I recently caught up about a week ago and read through all of Beyond and this run so my opinion may be a bit different from those reading month to month but I don't entirely hate it.

I like a lot of the Spider-Man stuff. Where his relationship with Norman is going is probably the best part of the book for me and if the next year of the run focuses more on fleshing that and the hobgoblin stuff out then I think it could be a lot of fun, especially with JRjr drawing it. Peter is a little helpless for my taste but I'm chalking that up to him not being fully recovered from Beyond even if I am aware of how much of a stretch that is. I do dig the general tone and way the villains are portrayed overall so leaning into that would help.

However, the whole Paul/MJ thing is tanking this whole run. Everything about it from the 6 month time jump, to the kid looking exactly like a mini MJ, to all the weird run ins where she won't talk to him is horrible. This has to be a Mephisto thing right? I really don't get why Zeb Wells would pollute what would be a perfectly fine run about Peter and Norman working together with a storyline that is going to alienate a portion of your niche audience. Better yet, I don't get why Nick Lowe would allow him to do it. I'd be surprised if even people who are fine with this storyline actively enjoy it. It just seems like a no win. It doesn't work and needs to be gotten rid of. I'm not even someone who necessarily needs Peter and MJ to be together but I do appreciate storytelling and continuity between runs and this was a lousy way to break them up.

So could the run turn around? Yeah but some changes need to be made. Maybe it's my JRjr bias but there is a good run in here being weighed down by this stuff.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    How would you feel if Ben died at the end of this?
    Ben died in what? 1997 in PP:SM75? I pretty much boycotted Spider-Man until OMD, and only started collecting regularly when Dan Slott took over (I pretty much loved everything Slott brought to the table) within editorial allowances. But If they kill Ben off again?

I’m pretty much done with the Spider-Man franchise as a whole except for Miles. My girlfriends son loves Miles, and I just gave him my own Miles trade collection to enjoy, and I’m buying him the previous runs trades and the new issues. But myself?

I’m done. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It depends on what franchise you're talking about. An X-Men satellite title like Hellions will allow for more freedom since you don't have to worry about the popular characters like Cyclops, Wolverine, etc. But you can't rely on the popularity of said characters to draw interest to your title either.
    In the context of satellite books, there are plenty that have good critical acclaim and sell poorly. Zdarsky's Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man and Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man are examples.

That's something the writer worries about in terms of positioning themselves for future jobs, but not really a fan concern.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    The only thing I honestly want turned around, reversed is what happened to Ben Reilly.

I actually enjoy the Gold Goblin sub-plot. Everything else I can live with; I just want Ben Reilly, either as Scarlet or as Chasm, doing heroic stuff and getting the character development he so righteously deserves.
    Yeah, me too.

I think the MJ/Paul stuff is stupid and weighing down the run and I miss the marriage, but that ship has sailed and I'm not going to obsess over that one aspect.

I find the Norman stuff interesting. I liked the Hobgoblin story and, despite my disdain for Ben as a villain, I think Dark Web is entertaining enough.

It's basically a mid run with a few frustrating aspects.

BANNED

Ben died in what? 1997 in PP:SM75? I pretty much boycotted Spider-Man until OMD, and only started collecting regularly when Dan Slott took over (I pretty much loved everything Slott brought to the table).
    You do know it was Slott's atrocious run that kicked off this while thing with Ben right?

Astonishing Member

The only thing I honestly want turned around, reversed is what happened to Ben Reilly.
    Yeah, me too,

I can tolerate all the other issues I have with this run

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In the context of satellite books, there are plenty that have good critical acclaim and sell poorly. Zdarsky's Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man and Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man are examples.

That's something the writer worries about in terms of positioning themselves for future jobs, but not really a fan concern.
    Peter Parker satellites still have Peter Parker in them. As opposed to X-Men satellites which can, and often do, have different characters than the ones in the main books.

Different franchises have different challenges and expectations for their satellite titles.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    You do know it was Slott's atrocious run that kicked off this while thing with Ben right?
    I literally have nothing against Slott’s run. I loved eat here 95 percent of things he did while with the franchise of Spider-Man. The only thing I didn’t like that he did with Ben was in the last issue of Clone conspiracy was when Peter wouldn’t side with Ben in reviving Uncle Ben and Ben ordered the resurrected to kill Peter. That’s the only thing I’ve ever hadn’t liked with Slott’s run. I actually enjoyed the plot he used to revive Ben (abit 27 deaths was a lil excessive), but it added to Ben’s trauma as the Jackal. And Slott fixed that with Spider-geddon.

All this current mess? That’s on Wells.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

They could do a big character death to make the run have some kind of impact

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    They could do a big character death to make the run have some kind of impact
    That’s a horrible idea. Who would die? Someone that people care about (Peter or MJ) or someone that people didn’t care about (pretty much anyone else)? Regardless of which one he chooses, it doesn’t automatically make for good story or even for an impactful one.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That’s a horrible idea. Who would die? Someone that people care about (Peter or MJ) or someone that people didn’t care about (pretty much anyone else)? Regardless of which one he chooses, it doesn’t automatically make for good story or even for an impactful one.
    Aunt May totally out of left field

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I agree. Besides, death is totally meaningless now that there are Krakoan revival pods and there is easier access to the Multiverse (and all of the super-scientifically advanced parallel universes it contains). That's why Mistress Death got fed up and left her position, besides...didn't Wells already kill somebody?

We aren't going to have to live through OMD 2.0 if that happens though, right? Because the first one sucked.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 01-08-2023 at 08:01 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Look, all I want at this point are Peter x MJ, Hellion, a good Black Cat, Mysterio getting some love, and maybe Paper Doll. Having these elements won't fix all the problems, but I'd least be content. After being jerked around on Peter/MJ for so long, just having them together would be a relief. I don't want perfection. I could handle a mediocre run, so long as the characters I like are eating good.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Look, all I want at this point are Peter x MJ, Hellion, a good Black Cat, Mysterio getting some love, and maybe Paper Doll. Having these elements won't fix all the problems, but I'd least be content. After being jerked around on Peter/MJ for so long, just having them together would be a relief. I don't want perfection. I could handle a mediocre run, so long as the characters I like are eating good.
    That was Spencer run except the paper doll part
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

I was talking about someone that people actually care about.