Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by amharner View Post
    The more I think about this title the more it baffles me. Does anyone have any information on how it's selling?

It seems very non-committal in its premise...like they aren't expecting it to last so we are getting a lot filler instead of actual development. If the goal of the team is to prevent "crisis level events" why not clarify what that means and run with it? The idea that Halo runs a secret team to tackled tasks outside the realm of traditional super heroics lends itself to a lot of story telling potential. What if preventing a crisis requires doing something morally questionable in the short term? How do our secret good guys weigh those kind of challenges? Those are the stories I'd like to read...

Instead...we are getting a lot of Grifter being difficult and no one really explaining what they are on about. I can't tell if Rosenberg is doing a poor job of writing or if this book was dead on arrival and he's just trying to inject some levity before it gets canned. It's frustrating.

Also...not to harp on it...but Caitlin Fairchild transforming from a 10 year old into a full grown woman...who in previous iterations was known for her sex appeal...is strange bordering on creepy.
    It would be creepy if they kept the sex appeal, which they thankfully didn't. An argument could be made that it was creepy even back then since she was a teenager.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    As someone who was a huge fan of the original WildCATS (as a kid) and loved Ellis' take on the Wildstorm Universe (being an adult now) - this hurts.

I get that they want to integrate the characters into the DC universe but frankly I'd rather have nothing than these ideas.
    I wanted to like it, and do like some of the characters, both old guard like Spartan and Zealot, and new bloods like Maxine Manchester (none of whom feel terribly on point), but this book is just kind of blah.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    But have they explained how Majestic even works now,besides being a kid? Maybe a kid and the real Majestic merged somehow and the kid took over his body or they switch places,could be anything?
    I'd be ok with that. Other than that, if not the case, this is a real gut punch. Especially how Fairchild discribed him, I didn't know they de-aged her that much. Didn't like the change with Mother One either. DC is really raping these characters.

I've only read the first issue so far, but I had big problems with two things:
    -- While I like this interpretation of Grifter and how he gained his characterization for being a liar/storyteller, it was a mistake to make him the focus. His attitude undermines the drama of the situation. He would function better as the chaotic side character, but when they make him the viewpoint character, it drains any drama from the rest of whatever's happening.
    -- Which leads to my second gripe: Are they trying to sell us on this title by assuming we'll like Grifter's Starlord quality enough to buy the book? Give us the greater context of this book please! Marlowe makes no sense, nobody makes sense and we have no investment in what they're doing because they made Grifter the POV character and he doesn't really give a ****, so why should we? And he's not "cool" enough to carry the title himself.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I'm liking the book. Wildcats lends itself well to a semi comedic take as this one. I am, however, hating the new takes in some characters. If this version of Majest up turns out to be the real deal and not some fake out by Lord Emp, I may drop it for that alone.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I've only read the first issue so far, but I had big problems with two things:
    -- While I like this interpretation of Grifter and how he gained his characterization for being a liar/storyteller, it was a mistake to make him the focus. His attitude undermines the drama of the situation. He would function better as the chaotic side character, but when they make him the viewpoint character, it drains any drama from the rest of whatever's happening.
    -- Which leads to my second gripe: Are they trying to sell us on this title by assuming we'll like Grifter's Starlord quality enough to buy the book? Give us the greater context of this book please! Marlowe makes no sense, nobody makes sense and we have no investment in what they're doing because they made Grifter the POV character and he doesn't really give a ****, so why should we? And he's not "cool" enough to carry the title himself.
    One guy's grumble...

By the time the reader has finished the third issue of The Wild Storm?

The conversation that Cole has with Angela gave me everything that in need as a reader to be invested in the team for as long as they were going to keep the title running and to be invested in particular in Cole running Marlowe's C.A.T.

(Never mind the handful of details that we get later about exactly what took place so that Cole could wind up in a position to head up the C.A.T...)

Here?

I'm just not sure why I should be particularly invested in any of the characters we have be introduced to thus far.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One guy's grumble...

By the time the reader has finished the third issue of The Wild Storm?

The conversation that Cole has with Angela gave me everything that in need as a reader to be invested in the team for as long as they were going to keep the title running and to be invested in particular in Cole running Marlowe's C.A.T.

(Never mind the handful of details that we get later about exactly what took place so that Cole could wind up in a position to head up the C.A.T...)

Here?

I'm just not sure why I should be particularly invested in any of the characters we have be introduced to thus far.
    I'm still confused why they haven't given us a mission statement.

They are going on all these missions and collecting all these scientists but the exact reason hasn't been given yet aside from a vague "we're protecting the world".

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I'm still confused why they haven't given us a mission statement.

They are going on all these missions and collecting all these scientists but the exact reason hasn't been given yet aside from a vague "we're protecting the world".
    That's the tough part.

Personally?

I can spot a title that is a "Fresh..." start some time to lay the foundation for whatever it is setting out to do.

That said, this is three issues in and I've just go no idea what that will be.

Never mind that where it left off does not feel like it is about to lead into any serious work on said foundation next issue.

Amazing Member

So how do we convince DC to publish Ellis' originally planned Wildcats spin off? This time preferably with Jon Davis Hunt onboard...

That at least some of it was "Finished..." enough to be solicited was always sort of depressing.

Get the reason that DC most likely will never go for it. Still get a little bummed that the next chapter of something that solid will probably have to stay in the "What Might Have Been..." pile.

Quote Originally Posted by amharner View Post
    So how do we convince DC to publish Ellis' originally planned Wildcats spin off? This time preferably with Jon Davis Hunt onboard...
    I'm curious if he had a Gen 13 spinoff planned. Volume 3 is just Lynch visiting their parents so I thought it was teasing one.

Can we get that too?

I do not know why they did not pick up on the next stage of THE WILD STORM. That was exquisite.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I do not know why they did not pick up on the next stage of THE WILD STORM. That was exquisite.
    Ellis's scandals came to light and the Wild Storm was rather slow so maybe it didn't sell that much?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm curious if he had a Gen 13 spinoff planned. Volume 3 is just Lynch visiting their parents so I thought it was teasing one.

Can we get that too?
    Well, there was just a little bit more to it than that.

In issue number seventeen, Lynch tells Stephen Rainmaker that he wants to find the children of the members of Project Thunderbook. Stephen says to bring them back to his reservation when Lynch finds them.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Ellis's scandals came to light and the Wild Storm was rather slow so maybe it didn't sell that much?
    Sold enough to warrant a "WildC.A.T.s..." series after it wrapped up.

To the point where I am pretty sure that they had the third issue solicited.

(That said, it did seem like it was going to be a limited series...)