Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Well, there was just a little bit more to it than that.

In issue number seventeen, Lynch tells Stephen Rainmaker that he wants to find the children of the members of Project Thunderbook. Stephen says to bring them back to his reservation when Lynch finds them.
    I was simplifying it.
    Sold enough to warrant a "WildC.A.T.s..." series after it wrapped up.

To the point where I am pretty sure that they had the third issue solicited.

(That said, it did seem like it was going to be a limited series...)
    Ellis did tease 2 or 3 more titles in the volume 1 behind the scenes so I guess it was ready to go from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

Ellis did tease 2 or 3 more titles in the volume 1 behind the scenes so I guess it was ready to go from the start.
    Yep.

Guessing at it back then...

- The "Michael Cray..." series was "One..." it finished up, and folded back into the close of The Wild Storm.
    - The "WildC.A.T.s..." title. Also, seems like there was a bit of a lead in to it during the wrap up of The Wild Storm.
    - Potential third title was probably the "Gen13..."/"Children Of Project Thunderbook..." series that they set up during that third arc/volume that you mentioned.

Guess there was also room for some sort of a "The Authority..." title, but that had such a solid ending in The Wild Storm that it might be diminishing returns to circle back around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Ellis's scandals came to light and the Wild Storm was rather slow so maybe it didn't sell that much?
    I thought he and the victims had reached an accord?

Yep.

Guessing at it back then...

- The "Michael Cray..." series was "One..." it finished up, and folded back into the close of The Wild Storm.
    - The "WildC.A.T.s..." title. Also, seems like there was a bit of a lead in to it during the wrap up of The Wild Storm.
    - Potential third title was probably the "Gen13..."/"Children Of Project Thunderbook..." series that they set up during that third arc/volume that you mentioned.

Guess there was also room for some sort of a "The Authority..." title, but that had such a solid ending in The Wild Storm that it might be diminishing returns to circle back around to it.
    DC wanted to make an Wildstorm reboot so I figured they would follow up on the Authority down the road.

The other groups are more amoral so Authority needs to keep them in check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    They did but companies could still find him toxic.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I have never heard of any sort of accord with the victims and the harasser.

Amazing Member

Ellis established a very solid foundation with The Wildstorm. Even if DC found him too toxic to keep onboard, they could have easily continued with other writers.

My read is that the company had already decided maintaining Wildstorm as a separate universe was too niche and not worth it's time.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

From what I recall Ellis back when he was still working with DC did try to get that Wildcats sequel and other spin-offs off the ground after The Wildstorm ended, but they never bared fruit and any attempted projects were cancelled

So there was something going on there whatever it was

Quote Originally Posted by amharner View Post
    Ellis established a very solid foundation with The Wildstorm. Even if DC found him too toxic to keep onboard, they could have easily continued with other writers.

My read is that the company had already decided maintaining Wildstorm as a separate universe was too niche and not worth it's time.
    Shame because i thought it was the right play. The DCU is rather cluttered and their own universe gives them more time to shine.

John Hickman or AL Ewing would've been ideal. Maybe Tom King but he's more controversial?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-17-2023 at 08:56 PM.

Amazing Member

Shame because i thought it was the right play. The DCU is rather cluttered and their own universe gives them more time to shine.

John Hickman or AL Ewing would've been ideal. Maybe Tom King but he's more controversial?
    Agreed. If this book is anything to go by, it would appear that making Wildstorm characters gel with the established DC universe just isn't working. And lots of creative talent they could have assigned to cultivating the separate universe. Alas.

Quote Originally Posted by amharner View Post
    Agreed. If this book is anything to go by, it would appear that making Wildstorm characters gel with the established DC universe just isn't working. And lots of creative talent they could have assigned to cultivating the separate universe. Alas.
    Even though I do think that integrating the Wildstorm characters into the DCU is a difficult task, I would hardly take this series as proof that it's not possible.
    Rosenberg is not exactly the writer with the best track record.
    Most attempts of integrating Wildstorm have been misguided. Even when they hired great writers like Paul Cornell (Stormwatch), there were severe editorial problems.
    I think Orlando's Midnighter is probably the best example of doing it right. Superman & The Authority is also good, but relies heavily on DCU characters, so it's not a real integration.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Even though I do think that integrating the Wildstorm characters into the DCU is a difficult task, I would hardly take this series as proof that it's not possible.
    Rosenberg is not exactly the writer with the best track record.
    Most attempts of integrating Wildstorm have been misguided. Even when they hired great writers like Paul Cornell (Stormwatch), there were severe editorial problems.
    I think Orlando's Midnighter is probably the best example of doing it right. Superman & The Authority is also good, but relies heavily on DCU characters, so it's not a real integration.
    I rather DC doesn't try further as the Wild Storm seems to the best of the bunch. But taking a page from Ellis's book and doing a proper hard reboot for the Wildstorm characters would be better.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-18-2023 at 04:17 PM.

The Wild Storm was the second try of Ellis to built a line of superheroes more hard sci-fi oriented. He had tried it before with New Universal in Marvel, with not better luck Personally I think than the Wild Storm was a great read, but it was structured like a live action series. And even if it was well done, it was also far from he Wild Storm concepts as the modern take.
    It was better? Yes, i think so. But also it was a more self-contained story. Conspiracy stories have a limited life.
    I will wait for the whole series before gave a full opinion, even if several of the choices also are not my taste.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin