Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I legitimately marvel at the fact that anybody thought that Jason Rush was going to be a permanent part of Firestorm, and that "diversity" would be a bulletproof way to prevent anybody, let alone the writer who created Firestorm in the first place, from removing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    I legitimately marvel at the fact that anybody thought that Jason Rush was going to be a permanent part of Firestorm, and that "diversity" would be a bulletproof way to prevent anybody, let alone the writer who created Firestorm in the first place, from removing him.
    Thank you for illustrating the sentiment that pretty much shows why Jason has disappeared. There are others that share the same power set as Firestorm, oddly they are still bumping around in this same universe....and not being called "diverse " or whatever the hell that is supposed to be.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Thank you for illustrating the sentiment that pretty much shows why Jason has disappeared. There are others that share the same power set as Firestorm, oddly they are still bumping around in this same universe....and not being called "diverse " or whatever the hell that is supposed to be.
    This.

that "diversity" would be a bulletproof way to prevent anybody, let alone the writer who created Firestorm in the first place, from removing him.
    Being from the Sliver age -shouldn't make one bullet proof either.

Yet we SAW Wally West destroyed and erased. For Barry.
    We saw Tim Drake's generation destroyed. To keep Batman YOUNG.
    We saw what happened to Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain. For Babs to walk and be Batgirl.
    We saw JSA tossed away.
    We saw characters who SOLD get tossed away for behind the scene politics.

Bonus-go look over at Marvel and see what they are doing to T'Challa. 3 Oscars and a billion dollar movie is not enough to make him bulletproof.

Jason being black is NOT a shield. The issue is they RAN to get Conway who knew NOTHING about Jason and tossed him aside as did Johns did in Doomsday Clock. We got other Firestorm folks running around-why didn't he get rid of those folks too?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    This.

Being from the Sliver age -shouldn't make one bullet proof either.

Yet we SAW Wally West destroyed and erased. For Barry.
    We saw Tim Drake's generation destroyed. To keep Batman YOUNG.
    We saw what happened to Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain. For Babs to walk and be Batgirl.
    We saw JSA tossed away.
    We saw characters who SOLD get tossed away for behind the scene politics.

Bonus-go look over at Marvel and see what they are doing to T'Challa. 3 Oscars and a billion dollar movie is not enough to make him bulletproof.

Jason being black is NOT a shield. The issue is they RAN to get Conway who knew NOTHING about Jason and tossed him aside as did Johns did in Doomsday Clock. We got other Firestorm folks running around-why didn't he get rid of those folks too?
    WHAT other "Firestorm folks" are you talking about?

I don't see where anyone in the thread had any of the ideas you assert here, but ...okaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Marvel at the fact...? ... because you can't imagine that the VAST MAJORITY of people are aware of firestorm outside comics are aware of him from Legends of Tomorrow and
    Injustice: Gods among us, the game? (and yes I know Jax isn't Jason but still a person picking up the comic would initially think that).
    Its not some big fn secret that Alan More has a much say over who or what gets removed from any character he created that DC OWNS as my boots do. Outta here with that.
    Oh and also there's a cartoon where they used Ronnie but honestly... It seemed like bs that they suddenly went that direction and plopped Ronnie with Beetle only because they wanted that
    kiss between him and stargirl but didn't want that to be jason. But he was certainly on the brave and the bold....
    OH AND Futures END they're sharing that body. Theres ZERO reason to think that the creator would show up at 70 years old, with all his 70 year old ideas about things and have any influence at all.

But mostly... the reason why anybody thought that is because Ronnie/Firestorm hasn't very been popular of over 30 years with only a blip here and there.

WHAT other "Firestorm folks" are you talking about?
    Probably Firehawk AND Jason Rusch AND Gehenna ANNNNND Pozhar annnnnnnnnddddd HELIX ANDDDD Hurricane and Rakshasi &&&&&&& Haji Al-Farishtaa?
    But really "NOT KNOWING" who they are, because you didn't read every firestorm issue doesn't mean you're not knowledgeable or that your opinions don't come from someplace valid in you.
    *shrug*

I personally think Ronnie had his time and should have just stayed dead. I think its important for a king to have his run then fall, if DC''s big thing is legacy they should be honest and commit to the bit.

I almost NEVER agree with Skyvolt 2000, but on this topic? He seems to make more sense than not, because the fact that you called diversity a "shield" smh, is the type of thing that keeps people in that direction.

Ronnie/Stein was something that I was with since the Superfriends, a character I loved but in this instance I think the narrative torch was passed safely and that dc's taking a step back on this one!
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Extraordinary Member

Is Gehenna alive again?
    I know Doomsday Clock reset Damage to bring alive again.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Is Gehenna alive again?
    I know Doomsday Clock reset Damage to bring alive again.
    The developments for Gehenna, Loraine Reilly and Killer Frost were so awesome in that series! I love Gehenna's powers and personality. I hope she is still out there somewhere

I definitely agree that if they were gonna ruin Stein's character after they discarded Conway they should have just brought back Jason from the start. As others said his dynamic with Ronnie was highy unexplored and there's a lot of fun stuff they can play with. Plus it's a bit weird they introduced a new OC for Firestorm where there doesn't seem to be any comic in sight to continue with it lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Marvel at the fact...? ... because you can't imagine that the VAST MAJORITY of people are aware of firestorm outside comics are aware of him from Legends of Tomorrow and
    Injustice: Gods among us, the game? (and yes I know Jax isn't Jason but still a person picking up the comic would initially think that).
    Its not some big fn secret that Alan More has a much say over who or what gets removed from any character he created that DC OWNS as my boots do. Outta here with that.
    Oh and also there's a cartoon where they used Ronnie but honestly... It seemed like bs that they suddenly went that direction and plopped Ronnie with Beetle only because they wanted that
    kiss between him and stargirl but didn't want that to be jason. But he was certainly on the brave and the bold....
    OH AND Futures END they're sharing that body. Theres ZERO reason to think that the creator would show up at 70 years old, with all his 70 year old ideas about things and have any influence at all.

But mostly... the reason why anybody thought that is because Ronnie/Firestorm hasn't very been popular of over 30 years with only a blip here and there.

Probably Firehawk AND Jason Rusch AND Gehenna ANNNNND Pozhar annnnnnnnnddddd HELIX ANDDDD Hurricane and Rakshasi &&&&&&& Haji Al-Farishtaa?
    But really "NOT KNOWING" who they are, because you didn't read every firestorm issue doesn't mean you're not knowledgeable or that your opinions don't come from someplace valid in you.
    *shrug*

I personally think Ronnie had his time and should have just stayed dead. I think its important for a king to have his run then fall, if DC''s big thing is legacy they should be honest and commit to the bit.

I almost NEVER agree with Skyvolt 2000, but on this topic? He seems to make more sense than not, because the fact that you called diversity a "shield" smh, is the type of thing that keeps people in that direction.

Ronnie/Stein was something that I was with since the Superfriends, a character I loved but in this instance I think the narrative torch was passed safely and that dc's taking a step back on this one!
    I disagree with some of this tho. There were plans for a new Ronnie series with crazy ideas for the matrix with its writer being really excited for it before they decided to take the plug and having one of the dumbest deaths possible with barely any acknowledgement from anyone in-universe, that absolutely doesn't seem like a king's treatment. He and Jason didn't have the same kind of legacy relationship that Wally and Barry had for example, but anyway all of current DC's take on legacy don't seem to mind on characters coexisting, be it Wally and Barry or Ted and Jaime, so I think it's unnecesary to kill Ronnie for good when there are great ideas on the table with a modern Ronnie-Jason dynamic compared to other characters.

Also just as you said Ronnie/Stein were featured in Justice League Action and that counts as much as a CW show or Injustice 2, lots of people recognize that version including one of my cousins. And no they were not chosen because they didn't want Jason hanging out with BB or having a kiss from Stargirl, they just thought their clashing and personalities were a funny idea for the comedy show and they totally nailed it imo especially with the positive reception to the show, the character and clips through social media, which shows they're not a relic from the past like Superfriends. Younger characters getting grouped together will always happen, there's a DCAU comic where Ronnie, Stargirl, Supergirl, etc hang-out as well just because they're considered the "kids" characters next to Batman and such, it was nothing personal against Jason and it's sad to reduce it to that when the writers put a lot more thought and care into it than the Legends of Tomorrow writers.

And when that poster asked about the other Firestorm folk they didn't mean they didn't know any other Firestorm character, they were refering to how the poster claimed Conway exclusively took out Jason while not taking out other Firestorm characters, which is 100% fake when Conway actualy included the previous run characters, such as the new 52 girl (and made her a LGBT character as well instead of reducing her to love interest to be fought) and still incorporated Jason's dad into the story, with the end of the story still claiming Jason was as much part of Firestorm as the others. The only other "Firestorm folk that Conway didn't get rid of" that was running around was the new and competely different Mikhail but his treatment was in GEOFF JOHN'S story, which is the one that ignored Conway's set-up as well, and not Conway's unless I'm misremembering another character. And plus with Mikhail and Stein's treatment in that story it's not like any Firestorm fan or even Conway himself was happy with these changes.

Once again I'm not saying Jason should be discarded forever and forgotten, just that it's not right to dismiss Ronnie completely to death in exchange and that it's impossible to have modern interpretation of him when JLA executed it perfectly compared to other media iterations of Firestorms; both can coexist (and again, the Jason-Ronnie dynamic is right there!) and the current status on the lore/characters shouldn't be blamed on Ronnie, he deserves as much as a chance as Wally with how he has been treaten; it's DC who fucks around with Firestorm in general be it Jason, Ronnie, Mik or Stein (Conway himself said something along the lines that DC tricked him dumping his story into a collection when he was promised the issues on their own).
    Last edited by MexM; 05-02-2023 at 06:31 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MexM View Post
    Once again I'm not saying Jason should be discarded forever and forgotten, just that it's not right to dismiss Ronnie completely to death in exchange and that it's impossible to have modern interpretation of him when JLA executed it perfectly compared to other media iterations of Firestorms; both can coexist (and again, the Jason-Ronnie dynamic is right there!) and the current status on the lore/characters shouldn't be blamed on Ronnie, he deserves as much as a chance as Wally with how he has been treaten; it's DC who fucks around with Firestorm in general be it Jason, Ronnie, Mik or Stein (Conway himself said something along the lines that DC tricked him dumping his story into a collection when he was promised the issues on their own).
    Conway was the same person that thought Jason was created in the 90s when Ronnie was actually in JLA, Extreme Justice, Power Company and had a Showcase 96 by the late Robert Washington.

So where was the editor in that case and the part of his work being dumped into a collection.

Also Ronnie was slated to be in Justice League Unlimited cartoon however DC took him out and that is how Booster Gold go that certain episode.

So depending on when McDuffie and Timm got told before production started on that episode-DC was writing off Ronnie at least a year before that event.

Conway was the same person that thought Jason was created in the 90s when Ronnie was actually in JLA, Extreme Justice, Power Company and had a Showcase 96 by the late Robert Washington.

So where was the editor in that case and the part of his work being dumped into a collection.
    Yeah I think he said after his og run he stopped reading almost anything Firestorm-related because he did not like how they were using the characters, he only started gaining interest when Ronnie was revived in Blackest Night and kept following into Brightest Day and then the New 52, where he said he found interesting the dynamic between Ronnie and Jason as young people. Explains how he assumed about Jason originating from back then since he has no idea about the mythos from that time period but still effectively used the cast from the New 52 including Ronnie's mom, Jason's dad and their new friend respecting the current continuity.

Amazing commission by Mike Perkins with colors by Shane Bailey

"It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Jason has been depowered and Doomsday Clock pretty much implied he was never Firestorm.

And some around here act like he did NOTHING-aside from have a 3 year solo run, member of Justice League, co-starred in a book with Ronnie, had a protentional part in Brightest Day, 2-3 figures and appeared on a tv show albeit animated.

Which is MORE than a lot of characters that so many that have waltz in and been welcomed and not receive a tenth of the hate Jason got.
    Jason was also playable in Injustice 2 and I enjoyed the bromance between him and Blue Beetle, even if I’d rather it had been a Blue Beetle/Static pairing. Shame that DC has essentially gotten rid of Jason, seems he fared the worst out the three (Jaime, Ryan and Jason).
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Amazing commission by Mike Perkins with colors by Shane Bailey

Some great Firestorm art .

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Yeah, that's a sweet looking Firestorm by Mike Perkins.

Dick Giordano Pinup, 1984.

FirestormDickG.jpg