View Poll Results: How old should Superman be when he begins his career as a superhero?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • 18-21

11 23.91%
  • 22-31

34 73.91%
  • 31 or older

1 2.17%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

after he gets his degree i guess... I mean if you aren't counting all the part time gigs he gets before.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-08-2023 at 08:57 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Agreed that Clark's whole life is one big adventure, but regarding the trajectory of it?

In my head Clark starts having small, covert, local (and by "local" I mean the whole Midwest) level adventures anywhere from the age of 10-15. He becomes a midwestern myth; the Super-Boy, and there's shaky camera footage of vaguely person-shaped blurs putting out house fires, and bad photos of a flying boy saving cats from trees. But that's all it is, Bigfoot style stories nobody really believes in.

In high school, it's weekends and summers with the Legion. Clark gets the costume for the first time, but his adventures at home are still covert.

Clark's "missing/college years" in my head involve a lot of global travel, bigger adventures, and trips into space and around the galaxy. Dates with Lori in Atlantis, mapping the asteroid belt, stuff like that. When he's having adventures on earth, he's still keeping things on the down low but the scope of it has gotten pretty big, making it harder for him to remain a secret. I like this era being full of false starts for Clark; maybe he joins the navy like in Year One only to be discharged before finishing boot camp. Maybe he goes to college only to drop out after a couple semesters. Maybe he tries several different jobs (first responder stuff, EMT, fire fighter, etc) only for things to not work out. Clark knows what he wants but can't quite figure out how to achieve it.

I figure Clark is about 23 when he moves to Metropolis, and that's when he discards all attempts to remain incognito and goes public as Superman. By that point he's got about a decade of experience under his belt already, has traveled the world, space, and time, and is well beyond any rookie mistakes. Lois recalls the old myths about the Super-Boy, puts it all together, and dubs Clark officially, publicly, Superman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I've honestly never been much of a fan of the idea that the Kents raised Clark to become a superhero. Yes, they gave him a home and a human identity, and instilled in him a moral compass. But I think, like any responsible parents, their primary priority would be keeping their son safe. I like the idea that it's Clark who makes the decision, ultimately, to become Superman (or Superboy if you prefer). By the same token, I don't care much for the idea that Clark decides to become Superman because the hologram of Jor-El says so. Jor-El didn't send Kal-El to earth to save earth...he sent Kal-El to earth to save Kal-El!
    I strongly agree on the latter - that Jor-El sent Kal-El to save Kal-EL - no space Jesus.

For the Kents, I agree that neither of them should raise him with the idea of him being a superhero. He's just their child that they love. They do, as you said, give him his values and raise him well. I don't like the extreme of Jonathan telling him not to save others. More that for them, these are Clark's abilities with Clark's decision on how to use them respected. So they don't tell him he must serve the world or save others, nor do they tell him that he must not use abilities and let others suffer. I mean, obviously, they warn him to not let people know when he's very young. And, though they have no real ability to stop him, they would try to do so if he hurt others.

But as he grows older, they leave these decisions to him more and more, trusting that he has a good moral compass and good sense to guide him. Part of this, too, is that they raise him to think about long-term consequences and really to be an adult by time he finishes high school. And he is. Part of that is just his nature, of course, but they did have the idea that you're supposed to be done raising the child by time they finish high school, and said child is supposed to be capable of "adulting" (haven't heard that one in a while, but you know what I mean) and no longer be a child by then, no longer needing active parenting (which is fortunate, because they'd die while he's in his early 20s and before he became Superman in my version, most likely). He's a man they respect by that time, albeit a young one. So, they guide and advise less, and he needs it less, as he goes through his teens. When he makes the decision to be Superman, it's all his idea.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    25 in comics. 30 in movies.
    How old was he in the Donner movie?
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    How old was he in the Donner movie?
    Rough estimate 30. Assume he was 18 when Pa died and he spent 12 years in the Fortress traing with Jor-El. Possibly 29 years old if they were trying to match the Silver/Bronze idea Superman was eternally 29.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Lois was very young in that train scene..She is in her 20s when superman shows up in donner movies.They have at the very least 4-5 year age difference.It's not explicitly stated i believe..Only the number of years spent in fortress which is 12
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-10-2023 at 09:27 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I strongly agree on the latter - that Jor-El sent Kal-El to save Kal-EL - no space Jesus.

For the Kents, I agree that neither of them should raise him with the idea of him being a superhero. He's just their child that they love. They do, as you said, give him his values and raise him well. I don't like the extreme of Jonathan telling him not to save others. More that for them, these are Clark's abilities with Clark's decision on how to use them respected. So they don't tell him he must serve the world or save others, nor do they tell him that he must not use abilities and let others suffer. I mean, obviously, they warn him to not let people know when he's very young. And, though they have no real ability to stop him, they would try to do so if he hurt others.

But as he grows older, they leave these decisions to him more and more, trusting that he has a good moral compass and good sense to guide him. Part of this, too, is that they raise him to think about long-term consequences and really to be an adult by time he finishes high school. And he is. Part of that is just his nature, of course, but they did have the idea that you're supposed to be done raising the child by time they finish high school, and said child is supposed to be capable of "adulting" (haven't heard that one in a while, but you know what I mean) and no longer be a child by then, no longer needing active parenting (which is fortunate, because they'd die while he's in his early 20s and before he became Superman in my version, most likely). He's a man they respect by that time, albeit a young one. So, they guide and advise less, and he needs it less, as he goes through his teens. When he makes the decision to be Superman, it's all his idea.
    I absolutely agree with this. Thee's something really elegant about the Kents being an elderly couple when they find Superman. He receives the value of their wisdom as elders. It allows their deaths to happen naturally. No need for the alien tropical disease of the silver age. I really like that aspect of the Golden Age stories. As far as his values go, I agree that the Superhero idea should be his own and shouldn't be inspired by either the Kents or his Kryptonian parents. The idea of hiding his abilities should be influenced by a mix of advice from the Kents and good sense derived from his Super hearing and superintelligence, bringing confirmation to the Kent's fears. Becoming Superboy early on can start out as a way to help those who are in need as well as providing a way to fully express who he truly is without putting the Kents into unnecessary danger.

When he starts his career as Superman the characteristic loneliness that he feels should set in. He's lost both sets of parents. The alienation and loneliness should only be assuaged by him embracing his relationships with Lois, Jimmy, and the other Superheroes; finally being cured when he lets Lois in on his secret.

Incredible Member

I personally say early 20(21-23). I think a mix of Birthright and SO/New 52 Action Comics, where he does some traveling, saving people and growing around the world before making the jump to caped wonder. I feel like he should have time secretly saving people as a teenager, maybe spend some time with the Legion and joint the Planet as a intern/Young researcher or on the crime beat and work his way up.

I was never a fan of him learning in the Fortress for 12 years or Snyder having Clark to become Superman at the same year Jesus died.

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I absolutely agree with this. Thee's something really elegant about the Kents being an elderly couple when they find Superman. He receives the value of their wisdom as elders. It allows their deaths to happen naturally. No need for the alien tropical disease of the silver age. I really like that aspect of the Golden Age stories. As far as his values go, I agree that the Superhero idea should be his own and shouldn't be inspired by either the Kents or his Kryptonian parents. The idea of hiding his abilities should be influenced by a mix of advice from the Kents and good sense derived from his Super hearing and superintelligence, bringing confirmation to the Kent's fears. Becoming Superboy early on can start out as a way to help those who are in need as well as providing a way to fully express who he truly is without putting the Kents into unnecessary danger.

When he starts his career as Superman the characteristic loneliness that he feels should set in. He's lost both sets of parents. The alienation and loneliness should only be assuaged by him embracing his relationships with Lois, Jimmy, and the other Superheroes; finally being cured when he lets Lois in on his secret.
    I agree with all of this!

I prefer he starts in his late teens or early 20s. I'm okay with the idea that Clark Kent never went to a 4-year uni. In fact, the more I think about it, I think it's an inefficient use of his time (and, sadly, I'm starting to feel this is true in real life...).

Incredible Member

21 to 23 to me. I think he'd try to start his career as early as possible (though after getting at least a bare minimum of life experience) of he is not Superboy.

Extraordinary Member

22-26 for me. I always liked the idea that he traveled the world both freelance writing and picking up college credits until he had enough to earn his degree.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    22-26 for me. I always liked the idea that he traveled the world both freelance writing and picking up college credits until he had enough to earn his degree.
    I don't really care for the world traveling. I like more "ordinaryness" before he becomes Superman. Hell, I like his civilian life after becoming Superman to be sort of ordinary - going to ballgames and concerts, playing video games (modern era, anyway), etc. With an admittedly cool career. So vacations, sure. But not living life on the road, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I prefer he starts in his late teens or early 20s. I'm okay with the idea that Clark Kent never went to a 4-year uni. In fact, the more I think about it, I think it's an inefficient use of his time (and, sadly, I'm starting to feel this is true in real life...).
    My preference is for Clark to go to college, but not graduate. Attend for a couple semesters, realize it's not going to fit what he's trying to do with his life and there are other avenues that fit what he wants to do better. So he drops out and moves on to the next thing. College isn't the only way to become successful, after all.

I *do* want Clark to know that he wants to be a writer of some kind. I dislike the stories where he becomes a reporter simply because it's convenient; it should be something he's passionate about. Working at the Planet makes being Superman easier, sure, he can keep tabs on the places his super senses can't reach....but Google notifications would accomplish the same thing these days. Best if Clark becomes a journalist because it mixes his two great passions; helping people and writing.

I'd think that as a kid and teen Clark would dream of being a novelist, and maybe he'd give that a few tries as an adult. And I think it'd be a great job for him once he's stopped being a full time reporter. Whether he leaves the Planet and news industry entirely, or just has a little more time on his hands while sitting at an editor's desk, Clark writing stories seems like the kind of stupid obvious thing DC doesn't do nearly enough.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    My preference is for Clark to go to college, but not graduate. Attend for a couple semesters, realize it's not going to fit what he's trying to do with his life and there are other avenues that fit what he wants to do better. So he drops out and moves on to the next thing. College isn't the only way to become successful, after all.

I *do* want Clark to know that he wants to be a writer of some kind. I dislike the stories where he becomes a reporter simply because it's convenient; it should be something he's passionate about. Working at the Planet makes being Superman easier, sure, he can keep tabs on the places his super senses can't reach....but Google notifications would accomplish the same thing these days. Best if Clark becomes a journalist because it mixes his two great passions; helping people and writing.

I'd think that as a kid and teen Clark would dream of being a novelist, and maybe he'd give that a few tries as an adult. And I think it'd be a great job for him once he's stopped being a full time reporter. Whether he leaves the Planet and news industry entirely, or just has a little more time on his hands while sitting at an editor's desk, Clark writing stories seems like the kind of stupid obvious thing DC doesn't do nearly enough.
    This hits at some of the reasons why I thought his journal entries on Warworld were so cool. Sure, they were a framing device, and sure he may have done it to keep a personal record and maybe even help maintain his own sanity. But even though it may not have been for public consumption, he was doing it because he is passionate about writing, loves doing it and sees the importance of it.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

22-31, imho.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."