Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    The preservation of the “sacred timeline” isn’t new and predates Uncanny 462. In fact that scan above is from the same issue where she explains that she’s an anomaly, which has been picked up again now.
    I love the idea that Rachel is unique in the multiverse and I'm glad it's been once again established. At the same time it must also be terribly sad for Rachel, who has often expressed happiness at the idea of one day being born in the 616 timeline, for example when Scott and Jean got married.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I love the idea that Rachel is unique in the multiverse and I'm glad it's been once again established. At the same time it must also be terribly sad for Rachel, who has often expressed happiness at the idea of one day being born in the 616 timeline, for example when Scott and Jean got married.
    That's a good point as there must be a level of loneliness in that. Which is kind of poetic because on the flip side, her anomalous status allows for her to safely traverse the timelines and reengage with the Askani mission statement. I've always been fascinated by Clan Askani's destiny to protect a sacred timeline where mutants can be safe and thrive.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Unless I missed a few things over the years, AFAIK, Rachel hasn't actively drained others' psychic energy to enhance her own as of yet.
    This is exactly what I mean, Rachel does not use her abilities to drain or draw in psychic energy to enhance hers. As of right now, this is unique to Jean in all respects. Which is a direct call back to her pink powers as a teen in All New X-Men. But what I bolded, the chronoskimming, is not a unique application as Rachel is stronger in it as a primary use of hers.

I'm actively ignoring anything that involves being a timeline guardian or her all-at-once, friends-with-benefits, relationship with Betsy.
    That is your choice to ignore, but Rachel has been (as Mother Askani) a time guardian since the 90's when they started making her a background character and force in Cable's solo series. So while her taking the mantle now is "new", the concept of this title is not new. It highlighted her ability to transcend time, space, and a corporeal body (which used to be a marker of being an omega... Just saying) and mastery of elements of her telepathy, telekinesis, and chronal abilities.

Congratulations to Rachel as she rightfully took the top spot for CBR's X-Books Awards category for:

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Highlight of the Year
    And there it family is, the final category revealed. This is the cherry on the X-Books Awards cake: The moments we all loved. These were some of the moments that made us proud X-Men fans. This were the moments we were waiting for all those years.

NUMBER 1
    Rachel's queerness going from subtext to text

With 23 points and 5 number one votes

Many of this board speculate on the gayness of multiple characters. I have heard so many names of X-Men we think are gay of bi. But Rachel was rumored for quite some time and to everybody’s surprise she hooked up with no one other than Betsy. I for sure did not see that coming and what a nice scene it was.
    A major moment indeed.

Congratulations to Rachel as she rightfully took the top spot for CBR's X-Books Awards category for:

A major moment indeed.

I'm glad they finally got to do what Claremont always intended. His endgame was Rachel and Kitty Pryde. Maybe it still is. But nonetheless, fantastic

Last edited by Majesty; 02-04-2023 at 04:18 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    This is exactly what I mean, Rachel does not use her abilities to drain or draw in psychic energy to enhance hers. As of right now, this is unique to Jean in all respects. Which is a direct call back to her pink powers as a teen in All New X-Men. But what I bolded, the chronoskimming, is not a unique application as Rachel is stronger in it as a primary use of hers.

That is your choice to ignore, but Rachel has been (as Mother Askani) since the 90's when they started making her a background character and force in Cable's solo series. So while her taking the mantle now is "new", the concept of this title is not new. It highlighted her ability to transcend time, space, and a corporeal body (which used to be a marker of being an omega... Just saying) and mastery of elements of her telepathy, telekinesis, and chronal abilities.
    is Rachel a a time guardian? I'd like an example... To date exactly what has Rachel ever done to protect time?

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    I'm glad they finally got to do what Claremont always intended. His endgame was Rachel and Kitty Pryde. Maybe it still is. But nonetheless, fantastic
    Please be point specific... Where is it written that "that" was what Claremont intended
    Last edited by Micabe; 02-04-2023 at 06:37 PM.

Please be point specific... Where is it written that "that" was what Claremont intended
    https://www.xplainthexmen.com/2016/0...ris-claremont/

"With Kitty, the basic idea was that, while she dated a lot of people when she was an adolescent, the primal love of her life has always been Rachel."

Claremont always intended Rachel Summers to be into women and also that her and Kitty Pryde would be each other's true love.

And now.. Kitty, Rachel and Illyana are all confirmed not-straight so it's getting closer to what Claremont wanted to do, but wasn't allowed to and had to use subtext.

But the subtext is now no longer subtext
    Last edited by Majesty; 02-05-2023 at 01:00 AM.

BANNED

Stay tuned for the next episode of, "Days of Our seX Lives"... It makes me sad that the X-Men are now nothing more than a common, daytime, soap opera.
    Last edited by Micabe; 02-04-2023 at 10:14 PM.

Stay tuned for the next episode of, "Days of Our seX Lives"... It makes me sad that the X-Men are now nothing more than a common, daytime, soap opera.
    Are you new to the X-Men or...

lol that comment is pretty funny. That what the X-Men have always been. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Yeah, I don't get why would they have a problem with that now is the question. A lot of comics in general have always revolved around Superhero love lives as well. Be it with each other or within the team, love triangles, etc. Or the question and conflict of whether they could maintain a social/love life while being a superhero and what sacrifices they have to make.

Difference is 99.99% of them used to be het. And the people that complain now about it "focusing on their love lives" only have something to say when it no longer is. Spider-Man can have 6 girlfriends and the drama therein and they don't say anything but who they'd rather ship him with. But Kitty kisses a tattoo artist, or Rachel kisses Psylocke and suddenly "Why are comics suddenly so focused on superhero love lives!?". It's quite a coincidence is it not

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Interesting Claremont interview...on many levels. (He was throwing some good shade around.)

Its clear to me though that while he wrote "subtextually" it wasn't so that readers could read and know exactly *wink-wink* what he meant or intended. It was so that each individual reader could read it and understand it as it resonated with them and that we..."could draw your own conclusions, or not" (his words).

It's interesting because you now have writers who will look back on that early X-Men run and go: "Well...that's what Claremont intended..." Which would be a slightly not 100% correct read because that would just be how the now-writer interpreted that particular situation and how it might fit in his/her story.

And while some of the subtext might have been because of the "comics code" and Editorial interference he really felt no need to be more explicit than he was. Plus, being implicit he was able to shrewdly draw in a larger broader spectrum and demographic of readers whereas back then more explicit writing could have potentially alienated the majority readership a the time.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's interesting because you now have writers who will look back on that early X-Men run and go: "Well...that's what Claremont intended..." Which would be a slightly not 100% correct read because that would just be how the now-writer interpreted that particular situation and how it might fit in his/her story.
    Claremont revealed what he had in store for Kitty and Rachel years before either of them got outed, so we can safely deduce that that's what he intended.

I always thought that those displays of "jealousy" by Rachel in front of Kitty in the early Excalibur days or in Reload, after she finds out that Colossus was resurrected, were a result of her loneliness and grief, and while that may be true in part, Claremont was evidently going for more.