Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Steve Trevor Appreciation 2023

Show some much-needed love to the most important man in the Wonder Woman mythos, Steve Trevor!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I love Steve and it's a shame that he is left out so much from WW depending on the run.

New52 making him head of Argus and liaison to the JL was a good update to the character.

Spectacular Member

I echo the sentiment. And I honestly feel there's so much that can be done. Consistency in writing for this character has been majorly disappointing.

Give some back story, motivations, small character points. I like the but in the last issues when he , noticing that Diana was headed to fight Hera/ Eros, threw away his leg support and was ready to dive not caring about his broken leg, because his most precious could potentially be lost forever. He can't do **** with a broken leg but it's small moments that show the much-needed personality that writers don't take the effort to put in.

Side note- Cloonrad had him dating someone when Diana was "dead", we never found who she is and the current status there

One thing that makes sense to explore what is Steve's view on the gods and is he of a different religion. One also his relationship with the amazons. Like is he one of the honorable Amazon members. Like if there is special events does he gets a special notice

I want to see Steve and Lois Lane team up.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

What's your favorite look for Steve?

Let's go with the following visual breakdown:

Height: (shorter than Diana vs same as Diana vs taller than Diana)

Build: (leaner than Diana, same as Diana, heavier than Diana)

Hair Style: (military buzz vs standard short vs kinda shaggy vs long hair)

Hair Color: (platinum blonde vs golden blonde vs dirty blonde vs brown)

Facial Hair: (completely clean-shaven, stubble, sideburns, goatee, full beard)

Similar to Diana, as he seemed to me to originally be. I don't prefer super-old Diana, but rather one in her early 20s, so early-to-mid 20s for Steve.

Taller than Diana. I feel he's often made shorter specifically to emasculate him, to cast him in the "feminine" role. I prefer the version (Golden Age and movie, and definitely not the silver age) where he absolutely sexually attractive to other women, has the typically sexually attractive masculine attributes (height, some muscle, physical bravery, strength, confidence) but still is, of course, less strong and less capable of amazing feats than Diana. And that's okay. He's not intimidated or threatened by her being more capable than him. But he's not "less of man" (ie, possessing few "alpha" male qualities), either. Yes, I know many of those are stereotypes and not actual values of worth, but I feel like he's often made less to make Diana seem more or to mirror traditional gender roles instead of being absolutely awesome and main-stream-desirable while still being in love with a woman even more awesome. I feel like that happens a lot with physically strong women - if they are with men, the men are either made non-fighters with non-traditionally-masculine roles or the men have to dominate the women (don't see that much anymore, but in older stuff) instead of a "manly man" who a boy reading/watching would love to be with an action hero a girl reading/watching would love to be.

See above.

Don't really care about hair style, as long as it's reasonable for his profession. Any variety of blond is okay. I prefer no facial hair, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

Height: Slightly shorter than Diana

Build: I don't mind him appearing heavier than Diana. She's still stronger.

Hair Style: For the most part a bit shaggy but alternate between that and buzz cut every couple of months

Hair Color: Golden blonde

Facial Hair: clean shaven in this 30s, beard when he starts he hits his 40s

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Taller than Diana. I feel he's often made shorter specifically to emasculate him, to cast him in the "feminine" role. I prefer the version (Golden Age and movie, and definitely not the silver age) where he absolutely sexually attractive to other women, has the typically sexually attractive masculine attributes (height, some muscle, physical bravery, strength, confidence) but still is, of course, less strong and less capable of amazing feats than Diana. And that's okay. He's not intimidated or threatened by her being more capable than him. But he's not "less of man" (ie, possessing few "alpha" male qualities), either. Yes, I know many of those are stereotypes and not actual values of worth, but I feel like he's often made less to make Diana seem more or to mirror traditional gender roles instead of being absolutely awesome and main-stream-desirable while still being in love with a woman even more awesome. I feel like that happens a lot with physically strong women - if they are with men, the men are either made non-fighters with non-traditionally-masculine roles or the men have to dominate the women (don't see that much anymore, but in older stuff) instead of a "manly man" who a boy reading/watching would love to be with an action hero a girl reading/watching would love to be.
    If Diana werent already shorter than Clark/Bruce I wouldnt mind (and generally dont anyway) Steve being taller than her but...just because she's female doesnt mean she should always be shorter than her male counterparts (and vice versa for them.

Buffy dealt with that dynamic of being the typical shorter female but stronger than her boyfriends (esp Riley) and how that can play into the relationship.

Steve going his entire life being the typical stronger/taller up until he meets Diana is a fun thing imo. Physically he looks stronger than her but in public she has a slight edge on him in height.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 01-08-2023 at 02:18 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

Mid 30s - Although maturity isn't age related, I want him to offer wisdom as well as courage to step in the field when necessary with his wits in place. Also, for his physical relationship with her, experience comes in very handy and places him on top

Equal Height - Not shorter or taller. The Rucka/ Liam Sharp kiss on the beach had them proportionately perfect.
    The build too similar to the Rucka Rebirth

Hairstyle & Colour - shaggy medium length ( mid 30s appropriate)

Facial Hair - Clean Shaved in office, stubble on the field. won't mind beard too if done properly but prefer the stubble

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I'd say he should be two or three years younger than Bruce and Clark, however old they are.

Doesn't matter.

Steve should be muscular. Go through a fat phase, post-military, then go back to being muscular.

Military buzz cut for a while until Steve decides to change.
    Long as he's blonde, I'll be alright.

Doesn't matter.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 01-09-2023 at 12:48 AM.

I should probably give my own answers.

I'm often (but not always) the opposite of a purist when it comes to my comic book fanhood. Give me a young Steve, someone who is idealistic but not painfully naive. Early 20s, but already very accomplished and a prodigy in his own field.

Definitely shorter than Diana. And by shorter, I mean, probably actual average adult male height, like 5'8" to her 6'2".

Leaner, with a Dick Grayson / Peter Parker build.

Military buzz to contrast Diana's flowing locks

Platinum blonde, again for the contrast.

Sideburns, but that's preference largely influenced from my anime days.

Spectacular Member

There was a nice Steve Diana moment in #795. Don’t think it leads anywhere, but I did notice

Aside from

1) his generally mutual attraction with Diana,
    2) his generally lighter-colored hair
    3) his military background

does Steve Trevor have any other defining characteristic?

Any consistent personality trait?