Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that things like courage should not be gifts from gods? Shouldn't these be stuff that is either instilled in her by the people who raise her or simply inherent in her nature, rather than given by gods? I understand superspeed and strength, but a loving heart, courage, compassion and stuff like that should be intrinsically Diana's, imo
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    There are many reasons why Historia shouldn't be Diana's canon in my opinion. Inspiration? Sure, totally, but not her canon.

It's a great story outside of that
    Tbf, this isn't exclusive to Historia. Her wisdom has come from Athena since at least the Silver Age, and Aphrodite started giving the "loving heart" along with the physical beauty since Perez.

I think it would make sense if she was exceptional. But now? Is she more courageous than any other major DC character? Is she any wiser than hundreds of other characters?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think it would make sense if she was exceptional. But now? Is she more courageous than any other major DC character? Is she any wiser than hundreds of other characters?
    Corporate interest makes it so that any global brand has to be as centrist and neutered as possible so as to appeal to the broadest swath of consumers. And by "centrist" they mean "not toward the left, but toward the right is acceptable."

Yeah, this is a transcription error on my part. The only actual thing "given" to Diana beyond life (which is from Hera) was Artemis giving the use of the "Diana" name. The other stuff was the text taken from the first issue which was used during the Amazons creation scene. Other than that there was no intention of the other goddesses "blessing" Diana with anything, or if there was she did not reveal it in the interview.
    Last edited by Gaius; 05-27-2023 at 01:54 PM.

Incredible Member

Do you consider mercy graves an Amazon sister of WW?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    She was, at one point, a Amazon who defected, right? I don't know if that remains the case in current continuity.

and even then she was a member of the Bana, not the Themyscirans

Seems to be something that was referenced a couple of times when Mercy started showing up in comics in the 2000s but, unless I'm overlooking something, hasn't been brought up at all since.

So not really.

Not really sure how this relates to Historia though...

She is not one currently. That was Rucka’s idea I think? Far as cross franchise pollination goes it’s not a terrible idea, but I dunno if it was ever a crucial part of her character.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Tbf, this isn't exclusive to Historia. Her wisdom has come from Athena since at least the Silver Age, and Aphrodite started giving the "loving heart" along with the physical beauty since Perez.
    Oh, yeah. I absolutely remember that, but it never sat well with me 100 %. Granted, it never kept me from enjoying WW stories, but in my headcanon, her divine aunties only gave her superpowers. Not a big deal in the end...

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Oh, yeah. I absolutely remember that, but it never sat well with me 100 %. Granted, it never kept me from enjoying WW stories, but in my headcanon, her divine aunties only gave her superpowers. Not a big deal in the end...
    For some context about the goddess' gifts in the interview, Kelly Sue didn't intend it as an "each goddess gives a superpower" deal like the Perez origin - Historia's Diana has two "parents," Hippolyta and Hera. Someone in the comments asked what gifts the goddesses gave Diana and she wasn't really sure how to interpret that so she referred back to the qualities that the goddesses gave the original Amazons during their creation. Maybe Diana will get her power from Hera's breast milk like Heracles from myth?

I'm very curious to see how Kelly Sue approaches Diana's powers though. A huge thing she talked about was wanting every Amazon to be just as special as the last, and she wanted to de-emphasize Diana as the extra special one and make sure she was perceived as a sister Amazon first and foremost. All we know is that evidently she's the only Amazon with the ability to leave the island.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    For some context about the goddess' gifts in the interview, Kelly Sue didn't intend it as an "each goddess gives a superpower" deal like the Perez origin - Historia's Diana has two "parents," Hippolyta and Hera. Someone in the comments asked what gifts the goddesses gave Diana and she wasn't really sure how to interpret that so she referred back to the qualities that the goddesses gave the original Amazons during their creation. Maybe Diana will get her power from Hera's breast milk like Heracles from myth?

I'm very curious to see how Kelly Sue approaches Diana's powers though. A huge thing she talked about was wanting every Amazon to be just as special as the last, and she wanted to de-emphasize Diana as the extra special one and make sure she was perceived as a sister Amazon first and foremost. All we know is that evidently she's the only Amazon with the ability to leave the island.
    Yeah, especially since it seems tribe members have Diana's individual powers or at least the Hestia and Artemis tribes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Seems to be something that was referenced a couple of times when Mercy started showing up in comics in the 2000s but, unless I'm overlooking something, hasn't been brought up at all since.

So not really.

Not really sure how this relates to Historia though...
    Were they Amazons for reals? Or merely suspected to be such? I ask because normals gave them a really tough time it seemed. Even Harley Quinn before got an aura threatening to rival the Batgod's.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Were they Amazons for reals? Or merely suspected to be such? I ask because normals gave them a really tough time it seemed. Even Harley Quinn before got an aura threatening to rival the Batgod's.
    I haven't read any of the stuff where they're stated to be Amazons, from what I can tell reading summaries they're implied to be Amazons by other characters.

I don't particularly consider them to be since it seems just about all other incarnations of Mercy don't even consider it and don't see much of a point to it other than "shared universe".

Fantastic Member

American Born Chinese & 9 Other Eisner Winners That Need Adaptations

https://www.cbr.com/american-born-ch...ia-the-amazons

Wonder Woman is a treasured hero for comic book fans of all ages. But there is still a lot of mystery surrounding the world and the people she comes from, so Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons would be the perfect comic to adapt into a movie.

Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons won the Eisner Award for Best One-Shot/Single Issue in 2022. The DCEU needs changes surrounding Wonder Woman, and a movie about The Amazons would be a good place to start and explain more of Wonder Woman's origins. By not expanding on the lore of The Amazons, DC is missing out on a great story full of myths and legends.