Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons

I want to start this thread because I feel that this masterpiece deserves its own post without sharing it with a book that was never made. And it is for us to express ourselves about this first narrative arc of Wonder Woman History: The Amazons.

Having read all three books, one after the other, I am in awe of what Kelly Sue has accomplished. I especially give credit to her because it is her prose that has deeply gripped and moved me.
    Kelly Sue has created a beautiful story, with wonderful, deep and well-developed characters. At least the ones she has wanted to develop.
    Hyppolita and Hera are the jewels in the crown, so different and yet so profound. Their motivations and their actions are so perfectly justified that one cannot have more than empathy for them.
    Then we have some luxurious secondary characters, some with more prominence than others, but what they get, even a brief interaction, they do wonderfully. I could not highlight the number of small scenes that delight me, because they are all (Actually, little by little I will do it).
    The story is completed perfectly, if there is something to criticize it is that perhaps there were more pages to develop, but it is my feeling since I did not want it to end.
    It's obvious to me that the next few books will continue to develop as Hyppolita becomes the much-loved queen of the Amazons. Because the end of it leaves us with some Amazons feeling betrayed by her, and that is not the tone of feeling towards her queen with which Antiope tells it.
    Art is supreme, the three artists gave their all, they have reached the peak of their careers.
    How proud I feel to have these books, these masterpieces of the ninth art, about these characters that I love so much.

Fantastic Member

Speaking of masterpiece:

Phil Jimenez and Nicola Scott are both selling art from Historia:

Phil Jimenez: https://www.modernmythologycomicart....ez-ww-historia

Nicola Scott: https://www.nicolascottart.com/historia

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This is definitely one of the greatest Wonder Woman- related stories ever made. I've always liked Hippolyta and recognized her importance, but I think this story upped her ranking among my favorites. She may be #3 now behind Diana herself and Cheetah. She was always extremely well developed for a superhero mother, but this took it to a next level. I think with just these three issues, DeConnick solidified her place as one of the greatest WW writers, up there with Marston, Perez and Rucka. The artwork is stunning from all three of her collaborators, but I think her scripts are what inspired that level of artwork to begin with.

It'd be a dream for Jimenez to draw the whole thing (including the remaining issues: imagine a From Hell sized tome filled with his art), but Ha and especially Scott deliver the goods so it doesn't feel much like a loss (and if we had Phil on the whole thing, it'd feel like a loss to miss their contributions). The is the definitive story (both in writing and design) for the WW Olympians. They feel HUGE just in their very presence. I used to be a traditionalist and always wanted Aphrodite and Athena to be the only Amazon patrons, but this has finally changed my mind that all the Olympian goddesses working together brings so much more to the table. Hera especially now feels like one of the most interesting characters in the franchise, the modern day Wonder Woman stories now feel like they are going to be missing something important without Hera overlooking all of the events. The addition to the mythos of the 30 founding demigod Amazons divided into tribes dedicated to each goddess is one of the coolest additions to the WW mythos in a while. Each one feels like a distinct character thanks to their design, and most of them don't even have a single line of dialogue.

I eagerly await the hardcover. it better include Phil's uncut design notes and at least Kelly's script for the first issue.

Story that finally toppled Perez's take on the history of the Amazons and Diana's creation for me.

A true modernized update of WW's mythology in a way that New 52 never was or could have been.

This was a great take on the Amazons' history and Kelly Sue DeConnick's writing of Hippolyta is wonderful.

Historia is profound in every sense of the word and it is still difficult to believe that Deconnick made sure DC would approve of such an epic story for Wonder Woman.
    Phil Jimenez, Gene Ha, and Nicola Scott brought her words to life so well and in such different ways without the art ever losing its grandeur while also keeping the characters and their emotions in sight.

Apart from Hera and Hippolyta, the stand-out character to me was Artemis. She was a blast to read about.

The 7 Tribes are truly a great addition. I hope we'll see soon how their life on Themyscira develops after Hyppolita's betrayal and sacrifice.

I'll have to reread it all in full once I have the time, and I'm very much looking forward to an afternoon or evening with Historia because it's been a long time since a comic made me feel this many emotions.

I also enjoy how they designed the library faux leather editions. I decided to buy them because I really wanted that history book feel, but they also did a great job with the design overall, especially the colors. Gold for the Gods with a classic brown leather, silver and blue for the human seventh tribe protected by the night, and red bleeding into even the leather for the slaughter and betrayal during the third act.

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 15-15-43 IMG_20230112_150618.jpg (JPEG-Grafik 4000 × 3000 Pixel) - Skal.jpg

Fantastic Member

Absolutely amazing series!! Praying to all that is for all 9 issues whatever that be Zeus, Hera, Darkseid, Dream or the Presence.

Hardcover just got officially announced for June, with a brand new cover by all 3 artists that's absolutely BANANAS. Looks like Gene did the left side, Nicola did the right, and Phil the center/background. The variant seems to just be Phil's cover for the first issue.

Not sure how I feel about it tbh, it's really busy and I liked that the soft covers weren't so over the top. Wonder if they'll do a library edition.

And the solicitation - 232 pages!!! The 3 softcovers combined have a total of 216 pages so looks like there'll be lots of bonus goodies

WONDER WOMAN HISTORIA: THE AMAZONS
    Written by KELLY SUE DeCONNICK
    Art by PHIL JIMENEZ, GENE HA, and NICOLA SCOTT
    Cover by PHIL JIMENEZ
    $29.99 US | 232 pages | 8 1/2" x 10 7/8" | Hardcover | ISBN: 978-1-77952-135-4
    ON SALE 6/6/23

WONDER WOMAN HISTORIA: THE AMAZONS
    (DIRECT MARKET EDITION)
    Written by KELLY SUE DeCONNICK
    Art and cover by PHIL JIMENEZ, GENE HA, and NICOLA SCOTT
    $29.99 US | 232 pages | 8 1/2" x 10 7/8" | Hardcover | ISBN: 978-1-77952-349-5
    ON SALE 6/6/23
    Featuring a brand-new cover by all three series artists!
    Millennia ago, Queen Hera and the goddesses of the Olympian pantheon grew greatly dissatisfied with their male counterparts…and far from their sight, they put a plan into action. A new society was born, one never before seen on Earth, capable of wondrous and terrible things…but their existence could not stay secret for long. When a despairing woman named Hippolyta crossed the Amazons' path, a series of events was set in motion that would lead to an outright war across heaven and Earth—and the creation of Earth's greatest guardian!
    Legendary talents Kelly Sue DeConnick, Phil Jimenez, Gene Ha, and Nicola Scott unleash a critically lauded and Eisner Award-winning reading experience the likes of which you've never seen, with unbelievably sumptuous art and a story that will haunt you.
    Collects Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons #1-3.
    Last edited by bardkeep; 01-20-2023 at 10:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Hardcover just got officially announced for June, with a brand new cover by all 3 artists that's absolutely BANANAS. Looks like Gene did the left side, Nicola did the right, and Phil the center/background. The variant seems to just be Phil's cover for the first issue.

Not sure how I feel about it tbh, it's really busy and I liked that the soft covers weren't so over the top. Wonder if they'll do a library edition.
    I believe the 3 artist cover is actually the variant as it's the DM edition cover.

I think we'll have to wait for more issues for them to do an Absolute edition - 232 pages would be pretty slim for an Absolute, though not unheard of, that's how big the Absolute Batman: Year One book is but I don't think there's anything else that size in the line.

Look at that cover!!!!!
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I can't wait to see this! That cover is amazing! Plus I'm sure we will get lots of writer's notes and design pages from the three artists. It's rare that I get a collected edition of a book I have the single issues of, but this will be a must have!

Cover's definitely cluttered but like they went with one unique rather than just the cover of the first issue. Neat they used all three artists.

Realizing the queens all mirror their patron deity.

Random question, but did anyone else notice any print issues with the 3rd book? In my copy the artwork seemed like it was at a lower resolution or something, while the lettering was crisp. It wasn’t a huge issue or anything, but it was mildly distracting when I was reading.

Quote Originally Posted by KenwaySaga View Post
    Random question, but did anyone else notice any print issues with the 3rd book? In my copy the artwork seemed like it was at a lower resolution or something, while the lettering was crisp. It wasn’t a huge issue or anything, but it was mildly distracting when I was reading.
    I did notice this. Got 2 variants and the interiors in both looked a little pixelated. Wonder if they'll fix it in the collected edition.

I have all 3 physical issues and plan to preorder the hardcover because I like having them to display, but honestly I preferred reading digitally. There was another small print error in the first issue, one of Phil's Hera spreads was warped by the binding.

I finally got my issue of Historia #3, took a long ass time. Surprisingly, i think the second issue is still my favorite.

When I look at Historia, I don't analyze based on whether I agree with the decisions being made about the world of Wonder Woman or it's various characters (including gods)

This is an elseworld book trying to do something specific, and I can appreciate it separately from the various other ideas of Wonder Woman. I was wrong about Diana's birth happening later on, and that's totally fine for this specific narrative.

Themyscira night and day something I've been thinking about. Whether they should have day or not since I think Themyscira should be as fantastic as Neverland. The one night per month is an interesting answer

I was disappointed because Hippolyta's crime didn't feel as big as Kelly was hyping up. But the idea of the island being a prison has a lot of interesting narrative potential. Again, not analyzing this in terms of whatI want canon to be, just as an insular story