Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

No love for WW Historia this year in the Eisner Award nominations

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    A shame. Truly. Especially for Nicola's volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Yeah, I was initially shocked, but come to think of it, the logistics probably hurt its chances - the first issue being treated as self-contained really benefitted it last year but kinda screwed it this year. Volumes 2/3 weren't eligible for best single issue because they don't stand alone, it's hard to sort out whether it counts as a limited series when they already treated the first issue as a one-shot, and Best Writer nominees are typically nominated for either one standalone GN or multiple series. You've also got the different artist/colorist each issue thing, though I do still think Nicola got snubbed badly.

I think if all 3 issues had come out last year at a regular cadence it'd be a lock for Best Limited Series, but it would've made the artist nominations even more of a challenge.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

dang I saw this thread active, I thought more issues were announced.

Fantastic Member

Interesting tidbits, including his horrible experience on Superwoman.

Not a hoax! Not a dream! One of our all time favorite guests we ever had on the ol' Hypothetical Island was the amazing Phil Jimenez. Next week we have a BRAND NEW episode featuring this uber-talented artist and writer, but we referenced his original appearance so much we felt it was wise to trick, uh, offer you all an opportunity to hear it again. And if you didn't hear it the first time, well, it's new to you now! And come back next week for the all new part 2
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/3Zd...67e4d388c245cc

In last week's flashback episode you heard him talk about his incredible work on the then-upcoming Wonder Woman: Historia-- well, now artist-extraordinaire Phil Jimenez makes his long awaited return to the Hypothetical Island for an all-new and wide-ranging talk on how that book was received and what's coming next for him, with stops along the way for explorations of psychiatry, frozen Dijorno pizzas, finding joy around you, Hera the queen of the Gods, and which comics characters should never, ever wear high heels.
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/78b...QNKwrfKXpkLtdA
    Last edited by HotBoy; 05-24-2023 at 05:38 AM.

I swear to god, 95% of the reasons why I keep visiting this forum is just to see if Historia's 4-9 are getting greenlighted.

Then I see the thread renewed, click with all my hype, and get depressed.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    I swear to god, 95% of the reasons why I keep visiting this forum is just to see if Historia's 4-9 are getting greenlighted.

Then I see the thread renewed, click with all my hype, and get depressed.
    My apologies. I completely understand.

DeConnick and Scott's coverage of the 3rd issue on Word Balloon

Write up;

• There will be two variants of the trade; Jimenez's cover for the first issue and the composite cover will be a store exclusive.
    • DeConnick was pretty pissed neither Ha or Scott were nominated for the Eisners
    • Still nothing on books 4-9. Nothing confirmed but nothing explicitly said not happening.
    • Sounds like book 4 would be a lot on Hippolyta and Diana being in isolation.
    • Themyscira as a prison is a play on the idea of old 19th/20th century ideas of woman being confined to homes.
    • Diana being the only Amazon who didn't rebel against the gods sounds like will be the loophole for why she can leave the island but no one else can
    • Interesting little tidbit about time. The first few pages in Ha's issue take place over a year and Scott's whole issue is supposed to 48 hours.
    • DeConnick set out from day 1 that Diana was going to be clay baby. Hated that Azzarello did that, rips into the idea of people being fine with guys shooting laser beams from their eyes but a fatherless woman is what breaks people's minds. You love to hear it.
    • DeConnick, Jimenez, Ha, Scott, and Clayton Cowes (letterer) will all be at Comic Con in September discussing the book.

• All the BTS stuff from the three issues will be included along with DeConnick's original pitch and a transcript of Jimenez's Eisner acceptance speech.
    • Hecate replacing Hermes in the Amazons pantheon was simply because DeConnick wanted an all-female pantheon and thought the three-faces would make for a more thing to draw
    • Some George Perez talk about his influence on Jimenez, Scott, and DeConnick
    • Ha, Scott was relieved she didn't have to come immediately after Jimenez. Ha signed up before he saw anything.
    • Some talk on the creative influences of the book outside of WW and Greek myth; various fashion styles, academics like Martha Nussbaum and Adriene Meyer, the original Clash of Titans, Audrey Hepburn for Hera, Romantic era paintings for Scott's art.
    • Some talk about a book called titans
    • DeConnick's favorite page Scott drew is from the battle scene showing Hippolyta's anger
    • Asked a question about their thoughts on Hippolyta as Wonder Woman. Neither really think it fits the character (or at least their view of Hippolyta).
    Last edited by Gaius; 06-04-2023 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

Write up;

• There will be two variants of the trade; Jimenez's cover for the first issue and the composite cover will be a store exclusive.
    • DeConnick was pretty pissed neither Ha or Scott were nominated for the Eisners
    • Still nothing on books 4-9. Nothing confirmed but nothing explicitly said not happening.
    • Themyscira as a prison is a play on the idea of old 19th/20th century ideas of woman being confined to homes.
    • Diana being the only Amazon who didn't rebel against the gods sounds like will be the loophole for why she can leave the island but no one else can
    • Interesting little tidbit about time. The first few pages in Ha's issue take place over a year and Scott's whole issue is supposed to 48 hours.
    • DeConnick set out from day 1 that Diana was going to be clay baby. Hated that Azzarello did that, rips into the idea of people being fine with guys shooting laser beams from their eyes but a fatherless woman is what breaks people's minds. You love to hear it.
    • Scott, Jimenez, Ha, Scott, and Clayton Cowes (letterer) will all be at Comic Con in September discussing the book.

Some talks about what each Goddess "gifted" Diana;

Aphrodite - passion/restless nature of the ocean
    Demeter - dreams/ideas
    Artemis - courage/liberty
    Hecate - fear/temperance
    Athena - strength/cunning
    Hestia - fire/life

• All the BTS stuff from the three issues will be included along with DeConnick's original pitch and a transcript of Jimenez's Eisner acceptance speech.
    • Hecate replacing Hermes in the Amazons pantheon was simply because DeConnick wanted an all-female pantheon and thought the three-faces would make for a more thing to draw
    • Ha, Scott was relieved she didn't have to come immediately after Jimenez. Ha signed up before he saw anything.
    • Some talk on the creative influences of the book outside of WW and Greek myth; various fashion styles, academics like Martha Nussbaum and Adriene Meyer, the original Clash of Titans, Audrey Hepburn for Hera, Romantic era paintings for Scott's art.
    • DeConnick's favorite page Scott drew is from the battle scene showing Hippolyta's anger
    • Asked a question about their thoughts on Hippolyta as Wonder Woman. Neither really think it fits the character (or at least their view of Hippolyta).
    At least vols 4-9 sounded more like a "seems like it but still need the go-ahead" than a "we'll see" this time around. She was already talking to the BL editor about how they'd want to do the artists (Phil still wants to come back for #9). I'm more desperate for it than ever though, the plans to focus on Hippolyta and Diana in exile together sound really interesting.

And yeah, I love how Nicola and Kelly Sue didn't even try to be polite about how much they hated everything Azzarello did. Right down to Nicola rolling up her sleeves to wrestle him.

Though there were a couple more things that stood out to me:

- KSD doesn't see Diana as created by the goddesses in total - she sees it as Diana having two moms (Hera and Hippolyta) and "the best aunties in the universe"

- Apparently Kelly Sue isn't involved with Paradise Lost and hasn't heard anything about it

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    At least vols 4-9 sounded more like a "seems like it but still need the go-ahead" than a "we'll see" this time around. She was already talking to the BL editor about how they'd want to do the artists (Phil still wants to come back for #9). I'm more desperate for it than ever though, the plans to focus on Hippolyta and Diana in exile together sound really interesting.

And yeah, I love how Nicola and Kelly Sue didn't even try to be polite about how much they hated everything Azzarello did. Right down to Nicola rolling up her sleeves to wrestle him.

Though there were a couple more things that stood out to me:

- KSD doesn't see Diana as created by the goddesses in total - she sees it as Diana having two moms (Hera and Hippolyta) and "the best aunties in the universe"

- Apparently Kelly Sue isn't involved with Paradise Lost and hasn't heard anything about it
    Yeah, I'm surprised they actually named him. It was great to hear but usually other creators dance around that kind of stuff when talking about runs/creative decisions they don't like.

Yeah, I think I may have mistranslated what DeConnick was saying about gifts from the goddesses.

Write up;

• Scott, Jimenez, Ha, Scott, and Clayton Cowes (letterer) will all be at Comic Con in September discussing the book.

Some talks about what each Goddess "gifted" Diana;

Aphrodite - passion/restless nature of the ocean
    Demeter - dreams/ideas
    Artemis - courage/liberty
    Hecate - fear/temperance
    Athena - strength/cunning
    Hestia - fire/life

Funny bits about her feelings towards the 2017 movie. (And she didn't even bother to see the sequel.)

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Funny bits about her feelings towards the 2017 movie. (And she didn't even bother to see the sequel.)
    Yeah, she's brought it up before in other interviews. Part of the reason she wanted to Historia was she didn't like the Amazons portrayal in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    That's a huge shame. I hope the creators of Paradise Lost at least draw a lot of inspiration from Historia.

Yeah, I'm surprised they actually named him. It was great to hear but usually other creators dance around that kind of stuff when talking about runs/creative decisions they don't like.
    I love that they're so openly critical of Azz's horrible decisions.

Am I the only one who thinks that things like courage should not be gifts from gods? Shouldn't these be stuff that is either instilled in her by the people who raise her or simply inherent in her nature, rather than given by gods? I understand superspeed and strength, but a loving heart, courage, compassion and stuff like that should be intrinsically Diana's, imo

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that things like courage should not be gifts from gods? Shouldn't these be stuff that is either instilled in her by the people who raise her or simply inherent in her nature, rather than given by gods? I understand superspeed and strength, but a loving heart, courage, compassion and stuff like that should be intrinsically Diana's, imo
    There are many reasons why Historia shouldn't be Diana's canon in my opinion. Inspiration? Sure, totally, but not her canon.

It's a great story outside of that