Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Once they determined Hippolyta was going to be a midwife, it seems they re-purposed her original introduction and gave it to Penthesilea. The pitch mentions Hippolyta was the first to emerge.

Would this mean she was the Demeter queen?
    Depends on where the idea for one Queen for each Goddess came in before or after what they decided to do with Hippolyta

The pitch doesn't mention anything about different tribes (and omits the "liberated mortal women becoming Amazons" idea entirely) so it presumably came after the decision to make Hippolyta a midwife. If I had to guess, she probably came up the idea of a tribe of mortals-turned-Amazons and then extrapolated from there. It also sounds like Hera wasn't really planned as the deuteragonist.

In general it sounds like the original concept was very much a classic story of a hero ascending to power and meeting their downfall through hubris. It could've been interesting but overall I'm VERY glad she took the direction she did.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I did notice this. Got 2 variants and the interiors in both looked a little pixelated. Wonder if they'll fix it in the collected edition.

I have all 3 physical issues and plan to preorder the hardcover because I like having them to display, but honestly I preferred reading digitally. There was another small print error in the first issue, one of Phil's Hera spreads was warped by the binding.
    Anyone know if the Nicola Scott chapter looks better in the hardcover? Hoping to pick it up soon

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Oh cool I finally got the hardcover for Historia. Enjoyable book, very gorgeous art.

Hope DeConnick is able to make the rest of the 6 parts. Should prolly have her work on another WW project since she looks to be doing pretty good on the property, going better than her Aquaman at least.

Quote Originally Posted by KenwaySaga View Post
    Anyone know if the Nicola Scott chapter looks better in the hardcover? Hoping to pick it up soon
    Unfortunately Nicola's section of the hardcover looks the same as it did in the single issue. I wonder if the worse image quality has to do with the fact that Nicola worked on paper and scanned while Phil and Gene did it digitally (though Nicola's issue looks totally fine in the digital comic so...).

And it's on the top 20 per-dollar list twice (the DM cover is #17)! At this point I feel like the confirmation of the green light is a "when" rather than an "if."

They're doing a huge Historia spotlight panel at Rose City Comic Con in September where all of the artists and Kelly Sue are gonna be there, so I feel like that's the latest we'll find out.

I love when they use the characterization of the WW Historia cover.

Inside they list WW Historia, Nubia: The real one and Diana: Princess of the Amazons among the 25 DC Essential Graphics Novels.

And it is also interesting that they list WW Historia along with Paradise Lost and Paradise Found as the readings that inspire the new series that WB would produce about the Amazons.
    We will see....

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    I love when they use the characterization of the WW Historia cover.

Inside they list WW Historia, Nubia: The real one and Diana: Princess of the Amazons among the 25 DC Essential Graphics Novels.

And it is also interesting that they list WW Historia along with Paradise Lost and Paradise Found as the readings that inspire the new series that WB would produce about the Amazons.
    We will see....
    For definitive Wonder Woman books it lists
    First volume of Azzarellos run
    Wonder Woman Earth 1: Volume 1
    Wonder Woman Historia
    Nubia and the Amazons
    Trial of the Amazons
    Wonder Girl: Homecoming
    Wonder Woman Black and Gold
    Tales of the Amazons
    Wonderful Women of the World
    Diana Princess of the Amazons
    Diana and Nubia Princesses of the Amazons
    Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed

Yes, Paradise Lost. That show that is definitely happening and not something Gunn conjured up just for that one announcement so the opening slate of the new DCU wasn't all dudes.

Interesting bts tidbit is the only disagreement Jimenez and DeConnick had was over the creation of the Amazons scene. Apparently Jimenez wanted to go even further and make it more escoteric/maddening to look at it.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    For definitive Wonder Woman books it lists
    First volume of Azzarellos run
    Wonder Woman Earth 1: Volume 1
    Wonder Woman Historia
    Nubia and the Amazons
    Trial of the Amazons
    Wonder Girl: Homecoming
    Wonder Woman Black and Gold
    Tales of the Amazons
    Wonderful Women of the World
    Diana Princess of the Amazons
    Diana and Nubia Princesses of the Amazons
    Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed
    The presence of Azzarello but nothing by Perez or Rucka is maddening.

Earth One being there is certainly debatable too, but lol they only recommend the first one when it's by far the worst. The even have a paperback collection with all three in it, they should have just listed that.

Screenshot_20230730_221303_Chrome.jpg

WONDER WOMAN HISTORIA: THE AMAZONS
    By Kelly Sue DeConnick, Phil Jimenez, Gene Ha, Nicola Scott, et al.

Wonder Woman Historia was among the very first titles DC announced when it revealed the scope and theme of its new Black Label imprint — a place for the biggest names DC could attract to make canon-optional stories at a high production value. Five years later, the first collected edition of Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons is simply the the most stunning work of illustration to come out of the Big Two comics houses in years.

Phil Jimenez filled every inch of the 62-page first issue with with hugely detailed renderings of heavily researched character designs of the entire Greek pantheon and 30 original characters. It was an act that seemed impossible to follow, until Gene Ha returned with an issue full of hidden goddesses. Nicola Scott rounded out the trilogy with some of the best layout and character work in comics today.

And I haven’t even talked about Kelly Sue DeConnick’s expert prose, or her heart-wrenching story of Queen Hippolyta of the Amazons, as the Amazons tell it themselves. A primal scream in exquisitely worked gold. —SP
    https://www.polygon.com/23810267/bes...c-novels-books

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yes, Paradise Lost. That show that is definitely happening and not something Gunn conjured up just for that one announcement so the opening slate of the new DCU wasn't all dudes.

Interesting bts tidbit is the only disagreement Jimenez and DeConnick had was over the creation of the Amazons scene. Apparently Jimenez wanted to go even further and make it more escoteric/maddening to look at it.
    NGL, after what happened with Batgirl (completed and taken off the theatrical slate forever), and after what's happening with Blue Beetle (pretty much dumped in cinemas with barely any marketing), I am not gonna believe PL is happening until I see the first episode on HBO MAX.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    NGL, after what happened with Batgirl (completed and taken off the theatrical slate forever), and after what's happening with Blue Beetle (pretty much dumped in cinemas with barely any marketing), I am not gonna believe PL is happening until I see the first episode on HBO MAX.
    It depends on how successful WBD's other movies do. Barbie actually did pretty well. Superman: Legacy will be the real test of how Gunn's DCU will do. The success of that will determine the course of their other projects.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Those were done by the previous reigme so WBD doesn't care as much. But PL really depends on the success of Superman Legacy. It will make or break the entire dc universe