Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default How powerful is this hypothetical character, and who could beat them?

Imagine a person with a superman-esque flying brick powerset.

They are

-Fast enough to outrun the fastest object ever created by man.
    -Can dodge the fastest thing ever fired by man
    -would be unharmed by the most powerful weapon ever built by man
    -Can lift the heaviest thing ever built by man
    -Has heat vision that is hotter than any temperature man has achieved
    -Has a sonic scream louder than any sound recorded on earth.

And so on*.

Basically, any test of his limits that could be done on Earth, he could pass without effort.

Note that this does not cover any hypothetical technology, only stuff that we've already achieved (or things created by natural phenomena on Earth, if we haven't been able to match the phenomena)

*I can't think of every attribute this character would have, so feel free to ask for clarification

-Fast enough to outrun the fastest object ever created by man.
    This gets into weird places as far as what you consider an object as far as like, particle physics and lasers and **** like that.

-Can dodge the fastest thing ever fired by man
    Also this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    This gets into weird places as far as what you consider an object as far as like, particle physics and lasers and **** like that.

Also this.
    I don't think a particle would count as an object, but a laser would count as something fired

Astonishing Member

Do germs count as weapons, for the character could be dosed with anthrax, smallpox (if young, probably not vaccinated), etc.?

Neurotoxins? Do they count as weapons in this scenario?

If the immunity is 'ever built' to be legal, there are potent neurotoxins and germs that haven't been officially weaponized. That might do it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Do germs count as weapons, for the character could be dosed with anthrax, smallpox (if young, probably not vaccinated), etc.?

Neurotoxins? Do they count as weapons in this scenario?

If the immunity is 'ever built' to be legal, there are potent neurotoxins and germs that haven't been officially weaponized. That might do it.
    Hmm, I wasn't really considering Germ warfare with that one, so I'd say that they wouldn't be considered weapons. It's supposed to be an indicator of durability

I'm also not really sure if there's a way to measure disease/toxin resistence. It seems like a binary yes/no thing

-would be unharmed by the most powerful weapon ever built by man
    Just the way you phrase this, it feels like either one of those Lord of the Rings "I am no Man!" deals. Either than or something like Balder and the mistletoe.

Sure you can't hurt him with any weapon made by man, but a woman with a can beat him to death with a big stick she found laying on the ground.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Though I get your point, that's not really the LotR deal. It wasn't some superpower that got bypassed by Éowyn being a woman, it was a prophecy that the Witch-King would get shanked by a Hobbit with a Nazgúl-killing knife, then stabbed in the face by a woman when his various sorcerous protections went kablooie.

Which explains why, in the books, the Witch-king shuts up when he realizes what he's facing; he's sitting there thinking 'Ohshit, this is what Glorfindel meant!'

...yes, I'm nitpicking off-topic. ^_^ Would be funny, here, if a woman could just show up with a knife and stab this character, I admit. Rules-Lawyered to death, what a way to go.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Just the way you phrase this, it feels like either one of those Lord of the Rings "I am no Man!" deals. Either than or something like Balder and the mistletoe.

Sure you can't hurt him with any weapon made by man, but a woman with a can beat him to death with a big stick she found laying on the ground.
    Now i definitively think this hypothetical character should look and sound like this :

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Well, your guy has mid- class 100 strength (Great Wall of China), durability to shrug Tsar Bomba, light speed travel and reaction speed (lasers), 100 million C heat vision (plasma from experimental fusion reactors).

You'd need someone fast enough to tag him and to tag him hard, or to ignore his blitz and lay down AOE type stuff that can stop him.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

So it’s someone like Surfer then.
    Chief Curmudgeon

Tsar bomb is barely class 100, if that. Speed and offensive power are this guy's strong points, durability is not. Surfer is certainly a win, but I think we can go a touch lower.

*considers*

Wally West shouldn't have a problem, here. Easy win through blitz and IMP or other speedforce horrors.

Also, lightspeed is debatable depending on how the OP defines 'object created by man'. While a laser is an object, it kind of just sits there. But even if we sport this guy the speed of the beam - which is just light rays, which aren't something we've created, really, and maaaaaybe don't qualify as an 'object' - Wally West still takes this one.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    So it’s someone like Surfer then.
    He's an easy stomp, but you can go lower, certainly.

My first choice would be any high-end Flash - Wally or Barry shouldn't have any real trouble with the guy. Rebirth Superman should be fine. Someone like Shaman Nate or Shadow King won't have any issues.

People like Surfer, Thanos, Runner, etc. are overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Tsar bomb is barely class 100, if that. Speed and offensive power are this guy's strong points, durability is not. Surfer is certainly a win, but I think we can go a touch lower.

*considers*

Wally West shouldn't have a problem, here. Easy win through blitz and IMP or other speedforce horrors.

Also, lightspeed is debatable depending on how the OP defines 'object created by man'. While a laser is an object, it kind of just sits there. But even if we sport this guy the speed of the beam - which is just light rays, which aren't something we've created, really, and maaaaaybe don't qualify as an 'object' - Wally West still takes this one.
    Well, charged particles synthed up and accelerated to 99.999% of the speed of light should work as well.

Also, light isn't really just rays anymore, now is it? :-) Photons are things, too. Are you anti-photonist?

And yes, any high-end Flash covers that speed level trivially, and ought not have any issues killing our composite here.

For durability... I don't recall anyone substantially under class 100 durability surviving even a "normal" nuke (without stupidness - like Godzilla and nukes because he absorbs radiation), much less a 57 megaton monster like Tsar Bomba.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Astonishing Member

I thought this was about our Earth and not characters? Of course, there are many characters who could swat this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Well, charged particles synthed up and accelerated to 99.999% of the speed of light should work as well.

Also, light isn't really just rays anymore, now is it? :-) Photons are things, too. Are you anti-photonist?
    *sighs* No. Poor choice of words. Regardless, the laser itself isn't doing squat for speed and the photons aren't an object we made. ^_^ The argument about charged particles, maybe. I'd be willing to entertain it, anyway.

For durability... I don't recall anyone substantially under class 100 durability surviving even a "normal" nuke (without stupidness - like Godzilla and nukes because he absorbs radiation), much less a 57 megaton monster like Tsar Bomba.
    I'm not saying it's Class 80 or something. But I would consider nukes in the region of Class 90, MAYBE, in terms of 'putting out damage'. Class 100's? These are people who get in fights with other Class 100s, who bust mountains, and tow around Manhattan Island, and that kind of thing. A nuke is rather beneath them, and people like Wonder Woman have literally had ICBM's explode in their faces and flown through it, grinning.

Now, is the Tsar Bomb bigger than that? Absolutely. I've looked up the actual effects of the blast, and okay, we're starting to creep into Class 100 area. So I change my viewpoint on this; if the character can take that kind of thing without any damage, okay, Class 100.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I thought this was about our Earth and not characters? Of course, there are many characters who could swat this guy.
    He literally asked "who could beat him?" Obviously, nobody "real" would be enough, so you have to turn to fiction.

Per Rumbles tradition, we generally try to figure out the LEAST gun for the job. This stops us from compiling hundreds-of-name-long lists including all of the cosmics everytime someone mentions something like this: Galactus is overkill. Any high-end Dragon Ball character is too much, but most other manga/anime (not all, I said most) wouldn't be enough because they are too slow.

You basically need someone either fast enough to hit first and who hits hard enough to count against someone who ignores Tsar Bomba, or someone who ignores/tanks/whatever a mid-tier class 100, lightspeed blitz long enough to hit back with AoE or stuff that doesn't need to be precisely targetted (like telepathy).