Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paramonut+

Mighty Member

Default Paramonut+

So how does P+ compare to the other streamers? I feel like it doesn't get talked about as often as D+ and HBO MAX. Obviously the crown jewel is the Star Trek shows and movies with the movies going out occasionally to other streamers due to licensing contracts.

Right now it's the only one that has Top Gun Maverick with basic subscription, which helps.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So how does P+ compare to the other streamers? I feel like it doesn't get talked about as often as D+ and HBO MAX. Obviously the crown jewel is the Star Trek shows and movies with the movies going out occasionally to other streamers due to licensing contracts.
    You're kidding around, right?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You're kidding around, right?
    I sub to HBO MAX and the Original/Next Gen movies are currently on there

It's probably #3 most used in my house.

Star Trek, Transformers, the WWII documentaries\news reels from the 1940s, Wings, TMNT, a bunch of nick stuff like Big Nate, some reality shows get watched a lot in our house.

Oh and live NFL!

Hulu gets the bump to #2 largely because it's hockey season.

Disney is #1 because of Marvel, Star Wars, animation, etc.

Netflix goes from #4 to #1 a lot. Depends on when things drop.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I sub to HBO MAX and the Original/Next Gen movies are currently on there
    While that might be?

This whole "Yellowstone..." thing and live sports are the actual crown jewels.

Paramount+ has a lot going for it with the Yellowstone shows, Trek, Beavis and Butthead, and things like the Criminal Minds new Show and sports. But it definitely feels like 4th or 5th in the Streaming options.

Number 1 is Netflix is still the gold standard even if I disagree with that feeling other streamers are better.

Number 2 is Disney+ is the biggest next to Netflix simply because they have a vast library and nostalgia by the balls with Marvel, Disney, Nat Geo, Star Wars, and the Simpsons.

Number 3 HBOMAX is which IMO has the best library I mean if you like classic films the HBO and TCM libraries are amazing then you have DC and Looney Tunes well at least for now let's see how long that last with Zaslav.

Now it gets Murky

4 is probably Apple+ but it's definitely the "PBS" of Streaming Acclaimed Content no seems to be watching.

5 is likely Amazon but I feel Apple, or it could be swapped. Now Amazon has had some hits like Reacher, Man in the High Castle, Terminal List, Jack Ryan, Bosch, The Expanse, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and Power of Rings (I know there was fan backlash but I'm not a LOTR person, so I don't know if it's real or just online grifters hating anything "Woke"). Amazon also benefits from their service being tied to their regular memberships. They also have a new show called the Rig which is good.

6 is where I'd put Paramount+

next I feel Tubi which is free is better than the rest but going back to paid services.

Hulu is likely 7 there only major hit series is Hand Maiden's Tale IMO, but they had some good ones like Castle Rock and recently some great films like Prey and Hellraiser.

Dead last is Peacock which is good but only has Bel Air and Days of Our Lives as exclusive series.

Then you have the niche stuff like Shudder, Curiosity Stream, BritBox etc.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

In terms of Streaming services I'd put this as the top group.

- Disney/Hulu : Disney can bundle this and the 2 streaming services work hand in hand. Factor in ESPN here a bit , but the strength is Disney and Hulu as a whole. This to me is the top streaming service for a reason and its the vast catalogue that they have from the 21st Century Fox purchase and Fox TV deal. They are #1 for this reason.

- HBO Max : Even as WB Discovery strips down the service of cartoons and movies ...the service is about to get an injection with Discovery adding its content soon. Love or hate it , this will make the service even bigger. They are #2 given the vast content already there.

- Netflix has fallen to #3 due to the fact the service has to create its own content for most part. The service still has some hits like Stranger Things , Sandman and Wednesday. But those hits are slowly ending away. Stranger Things is due to end this final season ahead. Sandman at one check should have been renewed months ago as people have waited. Netflix is in a situation where its model (dumping all episodes at once) isn't what many do to keep viewers long term as HBO Max , Disney/Hulu drop content weekly to keep subscribers.

- Paramont+ : Is #4 but is starting to gain on Netflix with shows like Tulsa King and trying to do more exclusive content. Paramount+ has a lot of regular series and in 2025 will be gaining South Park once the deal with HBO Max ends there. Adding to its shows.

- Tubi : A free service Tubi is just awesome for films you don't see. 80's and 90's comedies or horror films not seen in years are on Tubi. TV shows like Hells Kitchen and more. The service is so vast its amazing to think...its a free service. In terms of content its very much better than Paramount+ , but ...Paramount+ does have Top Gun Maverick and Star Trek shows. So ...it gets nudge ahead.

- FreeVee : Formally IMDBTV , the renamed free streaming service like Tubi has some solid fare. You can watch the complete 11 seasons of Carol Burnett Show , Night Court , Rockford Files , Columbo and more. They also get some low budget horror films from 2000's and up. Plus a few wide released films as well. FreeVee is free to stream and very good.

- Apple TV/Amazon : This one isn't the worst because they do have some marquee shows there. But both streaming services really make me question even ordering it. Nothing against Amazon but the Rings of Power and Stallone is really its main selling point. I guess its why Bezo's paid $9 billion for MGM post 1986 films due to how his service needed it.

- Pluto TV : Pluto like Tubi and FreeVee is a free streaming service. It has a unique deal where you can watch channels of Star Trek , Miami Vice and ..old classic Doctor Who ! Its just the user interface is a chore at times. With struggles in searching at times. You wanna put your fist through TV at how they can't let you at times just watch old Doctor Who episodes how you want.

- Peacock : Ranks dead last for a reason. I recently took the $1 for 12 months deal. And I feel I over spent. Peacock is so bad they have edited down Saturday Night Live for 48 seasons where you can't watch old complete episodes. Yes they can't have the music but throwing up an episode from 1986 and cutting out sketches is just absurd. Then there is American Greed , which your thinking all seasons will be there...NOPE. Just X number of seasons.

Peacock is a failure because NBC/Comcast greed is one where they only have WWE on there. But once they buy the company I fully expect greed to play that ins a super duper tier and all.

But this where they rank streaming wise. Crackle would get a nod from Sony. But it crashes so much I didn't even rank it.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Sandman was renewed months ago FYI Super ...

According to Neilson, hours watched in 2022 went as follows for the top 5:

#1 Netflix.
    #2 fuboTV.
    #3 Disney+
    #3 Amazon Prime Video.
    #5 Crunchyroll.
    #5 Hulu.
    #5 YouTube TV.
    #5 Peacock.

I find it fascinating that Prime is so high when Neilson reported that almost half of subscribers haven't used the video portion of the service in over a year or more and of those 48%, 15% have never used it. I personally only watch Upload as I gave up on both Rings of Power and Wheel of Time.

If you go by subscribers, then it's:
    1). Netflix

2). Amazon Prime

3). Disney+

4). Tencent

5). iQIYI

Anywho, I think Paramount is pretty good for the most part and has a nice catalog of WWII films/documentaries/news reels and Westerns you can't find anywhere else.

With the rumored $12.99 bundle with Showtime coming Q3, they might see a bump in numbers.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-10-2023 at 09:05 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Dungeons and Dragons series greenlit for the platform

Amazing Member

#1 is HBOMAX Just rewatched One Tree Hill and HBO has hands down the best original programing with a great classic movie selection.

#2 is probably Amazon for me. I enjoy several of the shows they stream like House M.D., and the originals are finally getting really good with things like the Expanse, Reacher, and Terminal List. Like HBO they have some great classic movies, I assume thanks to buying MGM.

#3 is Paramount Plus for me. I was shocked at how good the first season of Discovery was and while each season since has gone downhill more and more, strange New Worlds was decent with about a 70% success rate on enjoyable episodes. Then there's a decent movie selection, the original series, plus classics like Deep Space 9, NCIS, Yellowstone. Finally Live streaming of the CBS broadcast channel is fantastic for when the antenna is struggling with the weather or you're on a different device.

I have a couple sports packages Tennis Channel Plus and MLB. I use some free apps. I was so bored with Disney Plus, Apple programming was repellent when I looked through it, While I liked HULU quite a bit when I got it, after 6 or 7 months I exhausted what I wanted to watch and haven't seen anything to compel me to return.

Netflix has a handful of great shows, some over and some I'm up to date on like the Last Kingdom, Cobra Kai, Emily in Paris. It is overall my least favorite streaming service next to Disney Plus. I see no reason to sub to either more than a month every year or two, maybe not even that for Disney Plus anymore.
    Last edited by Comic Lore; 01-10-2023 at 02:21 PM.

Astonishing Member

For me I get Hulu live so the other services like ESPN+ and Disney + are bundled in. Its the best all around streaming deal I have seen. Its like a cable package plus streaming. But everyone to each their own.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Lore View Post
    #1 is HBOMAX Just rewatched One Tree Hill and HBO has hands down the best original programing with a great classic movie selection.

#2 is probably Amazon for me. I enjoy several of the shows they stream like House M.D., and the originals are finally getting really good with things like the Expanse, Reacher, and Terminal List. Like HBO they have some great classic movies, I assume thanks to buying MGM.

#3 is Paramount Plus for me. I was shocked at how good the first season of Discovery was and while each season since has gone downhill more and more, strange New Worlds was decent with about a 70% success rate on enjoyable episodes. Then there's a decent movie selection, the original series, plus classics like Deep Space 9, NCIS, Yellowstone. Finally Live streaming of the CBS broadcast channel is fantastic for when the antenna is struggling with the weather or you're on a different device.

I have a couple sports packages Tennis Channel Plus and MLB. I use some free apps. I was so bored with Disney Plus, Apple programming was repellent when I looked through it, While I liked HULU quite a bit when I got it, after 6 or 7 months I exhausted what I wanted to watch and haven't seen anything to compel me to return.

Netflix has a handful of great shows, some over and some I'm up to date on like the Last Kingdom, Cobra Kai, Emily in Paris. It is overall my least favorite streaming service next to Disney Plus. I see no reason to sub to either more than a month every year or two, maybe not even that for Disney Plus anymore.
    HBO MAX is quickly turning into my favorite service. Love the DC content with animation and cartoons plus original movies and shows. Top quality stuff there. Looking forward to the merged one with Discovery. I occasionally watch 90 day fiancee with my wife (it's a guilty pleasure) but I'm sure there's some interesting nature/travel docs on there.

BANNED

It's funny that Paramount + is living off the rotting corpse of what's left of MTV, with Yellowstone, and its spin-offs of 1883 and 1923, as well as Tulsa King with Sylvester Stallone. MTV Entertainment Group produced all the shows. And there are more successful than Star Trek is right now.

And Viacom owners of Paramount now own Garfield even though the upcoming animated film is being made by Sony, and voiced by Chris Pratt as Garfield, and Samuel L Jackson will voice Garfield's dad Vic. Vic was never in the comic strips or any of the shows.

For me, personally, I’d say Paramount Plus has its lifeblood in basically having the most comprehensive Nickelodeon library. Others have some Nick shows, but I’d say Paramount has most, if not, all of them.