Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Sounds like another masterpiece.

I'm just happy to finally see Zatanna back in her proper costume again.

It’s solid but it’s more a spin-off of Batman vs. Robin than a stand-alone event. It’s a very simple premise compared to the clusterfuck of Dark Crisis, I don’t agree that people will be that confused. A magic volcano erupted and is covering the world in magic which is changing things as magic does, there’s two demons out there and one of them wants to kill the other, far as DC events go it’s rather basic.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I mainly checked it out because I'm digging what Waid is doing in World's Finest and the appearance of Blue Devil, a longtime favorite. Overall, I thought it was just okay...not anything too special, but better than what we just got with Dark Crisis. Skimmed over Batman Vs. Robin to get up to speed on a few things and I'll stick with it for now, see where it all goes. I like the idea that a lot of the heroes are doing their own things sans League and that Damian has to pull together whomever he can. Not super-familiar with Monkey King, so his sizable role here had me at something of a disadvantage. And hey, in a time where they're dusting off favorite old underused characters just to be cannon fodder, the fact Blue Devil made it through to the end (or at least the end of the issue) was a pleasant surprise.

I really recommend checking out Monkey Prince’s book. I did so recently and it really sold on me on the character and his world. Plus for once the Batman & Robin guest-stars felt natural to the story.

Always Rakzo

I actually think that both Dark Crisis and even Shadow War did a more effective job at setting-up their stories and being more approachable to new readers.

And neither of them were exactly great as a whole.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Damian doesn't even do anything after telling them what the plan is. And it makes sense to have him come up with a plan because he spent four issues of Batman vs Robin being used as Nezha's puppet, waiting for Bruce to rescue him.
    In the entire DC universe, only the Batman characters think, it would be nice if for once the plan was for a different character, besides it being a magical event, give the magical characters some space, or is it that now the The Batfamilia are the best at magic too. They are already the best fighters, the best strategists, the best in technology, the best in cosmic problems, I suppose it is a natural step for them to continue with magic.
    Last edited by NaVi; 01-11-2023 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    In the entire DC universe, only the Batman characters think, it would be nice if for once the plan was for a different character, besides it being a magical event, give the magical characters some space, or is it that now the The Batfamilia are the best at magic too. They are already the best fighters, the best strategists, the best in technology, the best in cosmic problems, I suppose it is a natural step for them to continue with magic.
    Damian was the best for that situation because he was the only one that had the necessary information to make a plan. Not because he's the best at anything. The character did get absolutely nothing useful to do for the entirety of Batman vs Robin and got his solo cancelled for this storyline. After he told them the plan Damian went back to doing absolutely nothing useful. He also probably not do anything useful next issue because he can't do anything against King Fire Bull. In the WIP's by Federici for Lazarus Planet Omega we see plenty of other characters fighting King Fire Bull. So stop whining.

BANNED

Damian was the best for that situation because he was the only one that had the necessary information to make a plan. Not because he's the best at anything. The character did get absolutely nothing useful to do for the entirety of Batman vs Robin and got his solo cancelled for this storyline. After he told them the plan Damian went back to doing absolutely nothing useful. He also probably not do anything useful next issue because he can't do anything against King Fire Bull. In the WIP's by Federici for Lazarus Planet Omega we see plenty of other characters fighting King Fire Bull. So stop whining.
    The event that is supposed to change magic forever is born from a Batmanverse comic, it is being led by a Batmanverse character, but he is right, it is wrong to complain about it, poor Batfans as they hardly have comics.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I liked this. I don't get the "new reader unfriendly" complaint, the story gives you all you need to understand what's happening pretty early. IF there's a character you don't know, or more background you want, then you look for it. That was always how comics were for me.

The thing I found most positive is Devil Nehza: Waid weak spot was always the villains IMHO, and here he seems to sort of remedy that. Weakest point is that I think Waid didn't fiond the voice for some characters, like Jaime. But it's far from a deal breaker.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    The event that is supposed to change magic forever is born from a Batmanverse comic, it is being led by a Batmanverse character, but he is right, it is wrong to complain about it, poor Batfans as they hardly have comics.
    You know what, cry harder. If it was lead by your magic characters nobody would buy it.

I thought it was pretty cool. Felt like an event brawl packed in one issue. With an unconventional team. Waid's been channeling Morrison since he's been back. No time for decompression, too many toys to play with, and an impressive wealth of DC knowledge that just bursts out.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-11-2023 at 02:55 PM.

BANNED

You know what, cry harder. If it was lead by your magic characters nobody would buy it.
    typical excuse of a Batfan, since it sells it has to be everywhere, that's why DC is doing so well, they are destroying Marvel. at least you admit that magical characters don't matter, even in their own event.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    It's fine but I feel like Federici was largely carrying it.
    He was great at setting the mood with the back grounds and his demons were cool...but just about every human character(and especially Damian) was absolutely terrible. His art was actually a big turn off for me.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s solid but it’s more a spin-off of Batman vs. Robin than a stand-alone event. It’s a very simple premise compared to the clusterfuck of Dark Crisis, I don’t agree that people will be that confused. A magic volcano erupted and is covering the world in magic which is changing things as magic does, there’s two demons out there and one of them wants to kill the other, far as DC events go it’s rather basic.
    After how long Dark Crisis was a short and dirty basic crossover/event isn’t a bad thing
    Last edited by dornwolf; 01-12-2023 at 03:33 PM.