Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Favorite Costume!

What is your favorite WW costume? Mine is the late New 52 costume that was the proto basis for her current costume with the silver accents.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/a/upl...erwoman002.jpg
    Assassinate Putin!

I have a real soft spot for the current iteration of Diana's armor. From all the way back in the 90s when I was very young and first collecting comics, it always bothered me that her "armor" was depicted as a one-piece swimsuit with American flag iconography. I like that it looks much more in tune with what an Amazon ambassador/warrior would wear. SANS sword and shield, of course!

Diana.jpg

596ca3cbd3e15b3ca08b5878_image3.jpg
    Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**

It's never been used in action and I'm pretty sure this cover depicts Hera rather than Diana, but this iteration of the costume is so awesome. Love the star field pattern on the skirt, would love to see that become a Wonderfam costume staple and I miss it terribly for Donna.

I'd also love if rather than her wearing a cape for formality she wore something like this peacock feather cloak as tribute to Hera (who should be the Amazons' chief patron rather than a villain). Yes I'm pushing the "Historia is True Canon" agenda.

Otherwise I'm about Nicola Scott's Rebirth costume. Not too armor-y but not too costume-y either, has just enough touches of the classic costume to make it instantly recognizable. HATE what they've done to the boots since then though, no idea why they changed them (movie synergy, maybe?).

Honestly I've come around to the bathing suit to an extent but if we're going the full-on campy costume route I think I'd prefer GA-style high-waisted short shorts (and I'd make them less American flag-ish).

BANNED

Props to Jose Garcia Luis-Lopez for having most of the costume look down.

My personal favorite is the post-COIE costume that really went the distance from George Perez to Phil Jimenez.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    I have a real soft spot for the current iteration of Diana's armor. From all the way back in the 90s when I was very young and first collecting comics, it always bothered me that her "armor" was depicted as a one-piece swimsuit with American flag iconography. I like that it looks much more in tune with what an Amazon ambassador/warrior would wear.
    No offence but I think you're misunderstanding some important details about what Diana's costume is meant to represent. I strongly recommend you watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p2uzuLkGhY

To summarize Diana is an ambassador/peacemaker. She should not wear armour because that implies she's looking for/expecting violence. She wears a costume that reveals herself to the world, showing that she has nothing to hide. Said costume should include American flag iconography because again, she's an ambassador to "Man's World" via the USA. The flag design is to draw attention to the values America shares with ancient Greece.

SANS sword and shield, of course!
    On that part I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post

My personal favorite is the post-COIE costume that really went the distance from George Perez to Phil Jimenez.

Basically this.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 01-11-2023 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    No offence but I think you're misunderstanding some important details about what Diana's costume is meant to represent. I strongly recommend you watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p2uzuLkGhY

To summarize Diana is an ambassador/peacemaker. She should not wear armour because that implies she's looking for/expecting violence. She wears a costume that reveals herself to the world, showing that she has nothing to hide. Said costume should include American flag iconography because again, she's an ambassador to "Man's World" via the USA. The flag design is to draw attention to the values America shares with ancient Greece.

On that part I agree completely.

Basically this.
    I will never be offended by someone's opinion being different than mine. I will say, as an American myself, I will never like Diana being covered in Americana. That was relevant in WWII, but Diana is not an American. Similarities between Themysciran and American iconography is cool, but having her covered in the American flag is WAY too "patriotic" to me, and to quote Diana Prince quoting Dr. Samuel Johnson; Patriotism is the last vestige of scoundrels.
    Last edited by rayray1127; 01-11-2023 at 11:21 AM.
    Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**

BANNED

I will never be offended by someone's opinion being different than mine. I will say, as an American myself, I will never like Diana being covered in Americana. That was relevant in WWII, but Diana is not an American. Similarities between Themysciran and American iconography is cool, but having her covered in the American flag is WAY too "patriotic" to me, and to quote Diana Prince quoting Dr. Samuel Johnson; Patriotism is the last vestige of scoundrels.
    With the amount of gold on that costume, the only thing that's ostensibly American is the star-spangled bottoms, which could be an appropriated fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post

This one for me. Especially when drawn as armour/metal (all pieces, not just the golden accents).

Also, I absolutely adore the way Perez, Jimenez, Bolland and Deodato rendered her hair!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Also, I absolutely adore the way Perez, Jimenez, Bolland and Deodato rendered her hair!
    Yes! The intricate detail of Bolland hair is amazing.
    wwbolland72.jpg
    wwbolland80.jpg
    dc2pio8-510c9873-5052-4ee0-b09c-7a3b67928e1f.jpg

Incidentally, one of the somewhat recent artists said his favorite thing about the opportunity of drawing Diana was her hair. Sadly, I forget who that was tho. One of the runs pre-Cloonrad I believe.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Yes! The intricate detail of Bolland hair is amazing.
    wwbolland72.jpg
    wwbolland80.jpg
    dc2pio8-510c9873-5052-4ee0-b09c-7a3b67928e1f.jpg

Incidentally, one of the somewhat recent artists said his favorite thing about the opportunity of drawing Diana was her hair. Sadly, I forget who that was tho. One of the runs pre-Cloonrad I believe.
    Now that you posted, I can see that Deodato may in fact have been using Bolland as reference

Screenshot_20230112-210717_Kindle.jpg
    Screenshot_20230112-210625_Kindle.jpg
    Screenshot_20230112-210432_Kindle.jpg
    Last edited by Stanlos; 01-12-2023 at 07:10 PM.

1. Rebirth
    2. New Frontier "Golden Age"
    3. Swimsuit as depicted by Perez/Jimenez/Bolland

Hon mention; White and Gold outfit from Red Son, Cowboy outfit from 70s show, outfit from Historia #1 cover (similar to Bardkeep said, I'm fairly certain that's Hippolyta).

Spectacular Member

The classic, Bronze Age Pre-Crisis one. With the eagle or the WW.

686971.jpg

Wonder_Woman.jpg

Shout out to “Judgment From Outer Space.” Yes!!
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Shout out to “Judgment From Outer Space.” Yes!!
    Insert Andros whistle here!