Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

Avengers Annual #17 is perhaps my favorite single Avengers issue, and the offbeat line-up sure has a lot to do with it. The Captain, Falcon, Hercules, Beast, the female Yellowjacket (in her solo outing as an Avenger, before being shipped to the future, to join the GotG and then, later, to be killed in the Crossing), the Hulk (the smart and mean grey version) banding together to rescue Jocasta and save the Earth from the High Evolutionary. I sure would have enjoyed seeing more of such a line-up.

Peace
    That was a good line up.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed, especially when Pym became Yellowjacket & before Hawkeye became a giant...

I loved this phase of the group. IMHO, it was when it really hit its stride and went on to become the team it became. I personally prefered the line-up with Goliath, Wasp, Hawkeye, Panther and the Vision, but when Hank changed to YJ and Clint became Goliath, it was also quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That was a good line up.
    It sure was.

Peace

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'd have to say this line-up.
    Attachment 128419
    Yes, although I'd add a few more characters to this roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I'm probably one of the few ho actually loved Force Works. And the Blood Ties line-up is awsome.

Peace
    You’re not alone. They are one of my all time favorite line ups. Top 3 for sure. I have the singles and trade.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    The late 70s Avengers team written by Gerry Conway and followed up by Jim Shooter with art from the likes of Sal Buscema, George Perez and John Byrne.

Iron Man (leader)
    Captain America
    Thor
    Vision
    Scarlet Witch
    Beast
    Black Panther
    Wasp
    Yellowjacket
    Wonder man {not a official member but still accompanied the team on their adventures)

Fighting the likes of Atuma, the Sub Mariner, Dr Doom, Graviton, Ultron, The Lethal Legion, Court Nefaria and leading up to Korvac, this was probably my favourite Avengers run
    I have some of these in singles or trades. I absolutely adore this line up. Is Tony the leader in all of these stories named here? For the whole run?
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 01-26-2023 at 10:23 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Back when the spin-off AVENGERS WEST was better than the main title...

plus MOCKINGBIRD as the rogue member
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I have some of these in singles or trades. I absolutely adore this line up. Is Tony the leader in all of these stories named here? For the whole run?
    In agreement with you about the line-up/membership. Truly inspired (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Back when the spin-off AVENGERS WEST was better than the main title...

plus MOCKINGBIRD as the rogue member
    Actually, during most of it's run, I considered WCA the better Avengers book. I have to say I loved the quirky line-up they had towards the end of the series, with Clint as Goliath, Wanda, U.S.Agent, Spider Woman, Mockingbird as the brains of the outfit, War Machine as the heaviest hitter and occasionally joined by the Living Lightning. It was a cool team and it had tons of potential.

Peace

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

I distinctly remember seeing this on the spinner racks at Shopko or Fred Meyer while going shopping for new jeans as a kid. I'd flip through it, mainly to see what the hell was going on with Thor.
    A few years later, I got the "Assault on Olympus" story at a used bookstore (along with a healthy stack of Micheline/Layton Iron Man Round 2) for 10 cents a piece.

A close second would be the jacket-era, I really enjoyed the Proctor story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'd have to say this line-up.
    Attachment 128419
    Honestly, this was the end of Avengers greatness for me. Even Stern's run didn't quite bring it back to level of the 70s for me. Of course, I was more mature by his run -- and a bit jaded. His run certainly made up for how badly Jim Shooter wrecked the team the second time around.

Of course, Micheline didn't submit many good stories from this era -- though I did like the Taskmaster story -- and even the Red Ronin. The anniversary issue with Marcus Immortus was a letdown across the board -- especially with Ms. Marvel exiled from the team. This was around the same time that Thundra got sent back to the future -- so it seemed like Marvel wanted to clean house of two of their strongest female characters.

I understand why Shooter felt the need to make big changes, but he left us with a bland lineup, a huge stain on Hank Pym, and a Tigra who acted nothing like the Greer Grant I knew from her earlier appearances. Didn't help that we lost George Perez and had Bob Hall on art (a serviceable, but underwhelming artist).

Of course, Shooter fired the crew who was supposed to take over -- Bill Mantlo and Gene Colan. I think they had one issue published (it wasn't bad) and then we got the mess that followed.

Can I have three favorites lol?

I really loved this line up of Uncanny Avengers (Vo. 3) when Zub was writing them, I think what was fun about this team was the sense of "found family" that this team embodied (not that other teams didn't have this but sometimes it felt it was more about powersets or popularity). Not to say this run was perfect but I enjoyed this line up of characters and the run was fun.

I also loved Cage's version of the Mighty Avengers (I will never say no to Monica & Adam lol).

I kind of have soft spot New Avengers because I enjoyed the dynamics of the team but I didn't really the run(s). Though I'd love to see that team come together again under different circumstances.

Also an honorable mention for Avengers A.I. also. I dont really care much about Hank but I enjoyed Vision, Victor and Doombot on that run.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

My favorite lineup has to be the Stern Avengers (Wasp, Namor, Hercules, Capt. Marvel, Black Knight & Cap) & the initial West Coast, plus Scarlet Witch n Vision. My second favorite would be the Harras era lineup.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Of course, Shooter fired the crew who was supposed to take over -- Bill Mantlo and Gene Colan. I think they had one issue published (it wasn't bad) and then we got the mess that followed.
    I really would have liked to have seen what Mantlo and Colan would have done. It HAD to have been better than the stuff Shooter produced.

Avengers Idea Mechanics
    I would have replaced Clint with Hawkeye and Wiccan with somebody else, but overall, that was a great line-up.
    Especially toward the end, when Warlock, Cannonball, Toni Ho and Dr Positron were on the field.

Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Avengers Idea Mechanics
    I would have replaced Clint with Hawkeye and Wiccan with somebody else, but overall, that was a great line-up.
    Especially toward the end, when Warlock, Cannonball, Toni Ho and Dr Positron were on the field.

Yes to Toni Ho in particular. I loved seeing Songbird, Hulkling, Wiccan, White Tiger and Sunspot as Avengers (with classic Hawkeye), and wish it could have lasted longer!

I was not a huge fan of Victor Alvarez/Power Man or Squirrel Girl, but I also accept that not everyone has to be one of *my* faves. Almost every lineup has folks I could live without, like Gilgamesh and Deathcry.