Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Double post
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 01-10-2023 at 08:45 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Fantastic Member

typical Bendis crap. should never write team books or anything that isn't his own pet characters.

started off okay as usual. the Cyclops revolution stuff had promise.

the O5 in the present was a bad idea that dragged way too long.

in typical Bendis fashion the middle part of his run was as uneventful as it gets. it even had the typical bad event with Battle of the Atom.

then he had to do his "look I did something so you'll remember me moment" with the really bad way he did the Iceman reveal.

since everything was underwhelming or forgettable he just had to try to get that one thing in. while making teen Jean unlikable as possible.

Honestly it's hard to say. I rate every x-writer on a curve based on what i knew to be the truth of mutant rights not belonging to marvel after and during the morrison era, the dark ages. so compared to that it was good actually after morrison any level of heroism from the xmen while still trying to fight for mutant rights felt good. so i will say while it left a lot of room for improvement there were some good character moments and i think he made writers appreciate jean so that was worth it. I mean if were honest the best we could expect at that time were our faves being relevant and not too trashed. so in that as a jean fan he did a great job and introduced interesting elements like Beast studying magic etc. I also like an still stan Triage. He did a good job of creating just a good guy, though he hasn't really caught on it seems.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

The kernels of ok was not worth it.

ANXM shouldn't have been a thing.

UXM didn't go hard enough.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

It was really disappointing, in my opinion.
    The premice with the O5 annoyed me and it stayed WAY too long.
    Uncanny was VERY disappointing, after Cyclops's turn to violent revolution in the AvX epilogue, he didn't do anything with it. Same with Magik.
    I was going to say he did well for Kitty and then I remembered he sent her off to space for romance with the blandest character.
    Like many said, I don't like the execution but at least he used his weight to out Iceman.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

pretty good if read in a vacuum, the bringing of the O5 and NOT putting them back was a real big problem with me.

Why didn't he have a plan to reset the status quo in a way that made sense?

Fantastic Member

His run was bland, forgettable and pointless, with nothing really happening. It was kind of just running around in circles without any destination. O5 in the present were entertaining for the first few issues, when it was about them freaking out about all the things that happened to their future selves. But them staying in the present was pointless. From the start it was obvious what sooner or later they would go back and nothing they did in the future would matter. So I hadn't bothered to read their stories. And it indeed ended like what; they went back to the past and nothing of it was ever referenced, apart from Cyclops' few short interactions with the Champions. I remember when he outed Iceman my only thought was "Seems like Bendis himself realized what his run is a pointless mess, so he decided to do something big for people to remember he was on x-books at all" And now, a decade later, it is indeed the only impactful thing from his run.

Read the whole thing (Don't judge)

I think both books had a stellar three arcs before falling off. Original Five and the Tempus\Goldballs squad were fun. Scott, Shadowcat and Magik were real standouts, to me. Battle of the Atom kinda murdered the book's momentum. Everything after felt like navel-gazing.

We got Teen Jean and Gay Bobby out of it, though. Always gonna hand this to Bendis--He's a big enough deal that he gets to break taboos other creatives can't. Other people fleshed Bobby and Jean out, but IDK if we ever got them if Bendis didn't trailblaze the path

Extraordinary Member

A mixed bag, but Citizen Kane compared to the Lemire, Guggenheim, and Rosenberg runs that followed, and honestly it's better than the current Duggen X-Men book.

The first 12 or so issues of Uncanny were very good, with the Dormammu arc being a highlight, his new team of students were the most interesting to me since the New Mutants. The quality fell off a cliff with Battle of the Atom and never fully recovered, with the Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier being a low point because of how unnecessarily drawn out it was. He still did good work when he had single issue 1 and done stories like Magik and Shadowcat on Monster Island. I tend to look back on the run fondly overall because his Magik was great, he continued to make Cyclops interesting which was still a novel concept to me that Cyclops could be anything but bland and unlikeable, and the subsequent runs were so much worse. By the time of X-Men Gold things were so bad I'd have killed for the X-Men to go back to the quality of the Bendis run.

Uncanny holds a special place in my heart still.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

A bit of a mixed bag for me. The first year or so on both Uncanny and All-New were pretty good, with some fun stories and gorgeous art by Stuart Immonen, Frazer Irving and Chris Bachalo. Battle of the Atom was kind of a watershed moment though and I feel like Bendis' writing never recovered after that.

I also think the story would have benefitted immensely from being a complete one with an actual ending, with the Original 5 returning to the past and present-Scott doing... something instead of whatever the hell he did at the end of Bendis' run.

I couldnt tolerate the dialogue. I stopped after he brought the 05 in, I am glad they are gone and Bendis. Good Riddance
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I enjoyed the X-Men and Guardians of the Galaxy crossovers but the time-travelling O5 should've wrapped up when he left and before Secret Wars.
    Uncanny was OK but apart from Cyclops, he wrote the other mainstays just as well as the previous writers did. Remender and Bunn saved Magneto.
    Still say Bobby should've been bi. ONly bi rep we had at the time was that *** Mystique.
    "Cable was right!"

I must agree with Krakoa about Magik, as this was when I really started to fall in love with her. I liked how she was ride or die with Scott and their friendship started building, something we still get glimpses of now.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Very disappointing run. Bendis has written some amazing Marvel stuff but he really started to lose his stride during his Avengers run and when he was announced on X-Men I wasn’t thrilled. Couple of good things like his O.C. characters came from it but the stories were mostly forgettable and led nowhere.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.