Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

In before "I don't like what the writer did so I'm going to invalidate their importance"

Wait, dammit

I just read All New X-Men 1-15 and love it. A dynamic, interesting and very entertaining story, with great characterization, team's chemistry and amazing art. Immonen was the right fit for this run, as it focus in more superheroic stuff, and David Marquez was a nice replacement for a couple of chapters. David LaFuente is an example of the right penciler chosen for the right comicbook issue. Marte Gracia colors transmit perfectly the mood of the script and drawings.

I'm currently reading Uncanny X-Men, and enjoying it, as it goes for a different angle of the story, Bachalo's more experimental approach to storytelling and coloring is perfect for the ambiguity of Cyclops' revolution. I love this Scott Summers. I know that many say that Bendis' run falls short once Battle of the Atom starts and that it becomes a drag, but, so far, it has been an incredible discovery for me.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I just read All New X-Men 1-15 and love it. A dynamic, interesting and very entertaining story, with great characterization, team's chemistry and amazing art. Immonen was the right fit for this run, as it focus in more superheroic stuff, and David Marquez was a nice replacement for a couple of chapters. David LaFuente is an example of the right penciler chosen for the right comicbook issue. Marte Gracia colors transmit perfectly the mood of the script and drawings.

I'm currently reading Uncanny X-Men, and enjoying it, as it goes for a different angle of the story, Bachalo's more experimental approach to storytelling and coloring is perfect for the ambiguity of Cyclops' revolution. I love this Scott Summers. I know that many say that Bendis' run falls short once Battle of the Atom starts and that it becomes a drag, but, so far, it has been an incredible discovery for me.
    All New suffers a bit after Battle of the Atom but neither it nor Uncanny really go off the rails until The Eternal, uh, Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier. A 9 issue long arc that resets itself at the end, with one of the new mutants introduced going off the narrative rails. I suggest also reading the Cyclops solo series that spins out of Battle of the Atom, for at least the first arc (which is excellent). All-New's real drop off point is the crossover The Black Vortex.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    All New suffers a bit after Battle of the Atom but neither it nor Uncanny really go off the rails until The Eternal, uh, Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier. A 9 issue long arc that resets itself at the end, with one of the new mutants introduced going off the narrative rails. I suggest also reading the Cyclops solo series that spins out of Battle of the Atom, for at least the first arc (which is excellent). All-New's real drop off point is the crossover The Black Vortex.
    Now that you mention it, I remember that controversy back in the day, with the Last Will (...)'s finale. I think I will complete both series up until when Bendis left the titles as they are collected in some cool spanish hardcovers editions which aren't expensive. Though I have no hurry to do so
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Today, I finished Bendis' run on X-Men. First, I really liked both All New and Uncanny, but I found myself actually liking UXM with Bachalo better. Both titles visually were a feast for the eyes most of the time.

My final veredict? This is one of my favorite mutant runs ever. Is it perfect? Hell no! Which X-Men run is? (Maybe Whedon/Cassaday, but also, much shorter), but I couldn't stop reading, it had me wanting more and more up until the end. And that is something a mainstream comicbook hadn't done in a while

I really didn’t appreciate Bendis bringing the original five back to the future. (Yes, that’s a movie title, but it also is a fair description of what Bendis did with the original five.) It was such a focus of his run, the main story really, that I can’t separate that from anything else Bendis did. I think because of the time travel stuff that Bendis simply added to the chaos and continuity problems. With the Krakoan era, which I am not appreciating at the moment, the Bendis run seems very forgettable, like it just didn’t matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I really didn’t appreciate Bendis bringing the original five back to the future. (Yes, that’s a movie title, but it also is a fair description of what Bendis did with the original five.) It was such a focus of his run, the main story really, that I can’t separate that from anything else Bendis did. I think because of the time travel stuff that Bendis simply added to the chaos and continuity problems. With the Krakoan era, which I am not appreciating at the moment, the Bendis run seems very forgettable, like it just didn’t matter.
    Bendis mentioned in his farewell letter in UXM #600 that it was Axel Alonso who came up with the idea to bring the O5 to the present, which makes me wonder if the idea was from the get go to let them stuck in the present indefinitely or if that idea was taken midway in the run. I like the execution of the concept more than the concept itself, but the O5 certainly overstayed their welcome. I think it's fun to imagine how the mutant status quo post Secret Wars will be regarded in some years from now. Like, you have the O5 and Old Man Logan living in the same time period. It was weird.

I think the Krakoan era rendered many runs as "forgettable". At least Tempus and Goldballs matter in the current status quo, as they are vital to the resurrection protocols (though not much has been done with these characters aside for that, as far as I know), but there are other runs previous to Krakoa that got shunned as soon as possible

Incredible Member

I had a huge issue with the core premise (past O5 to the present). That type of time travel only makes sense for a limited series, due to the obvious ramification of changing the past.
    That all got swept under the rug in favor of fun and weird adventures, including new powers and traveling in space. What really took the cake was how the era was closed with Extermination, where they finally, 8+ years after it was already obvious that it was a problem, examined the problem of having past characters potentially die the present.

There were interesting things throughout the run, but it was really one near decade long gaslighting of readers, before finally admitting that the central conceit is a big deal.

If you told me right after the Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier arc that one day I would miss the Bendis run terribly I would have called you a liar, an idiot, or a troll. Or all three.

What a difference a few years makes.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I liked Cyclops' new costume (but not how the stories continued to be Cyclops-centric), I liked Tempus, I liked that they had a younger version of Hank that wasn't intentionally written to be Dark Beast (even though it was being used as another story hook to show how much of a jerk modern Hank is) and I liked the IDEA of Jean having to deal with the fact that she had a very bad future ahead of her and the decisions she would have to make around that.

Aside from that I didn't care for it at all but I went from dislike to 'meh' on it after reading the Matthew Rosenberg's run after Bendis.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I think the Krakoan era rendered many runs as "forgettable". At least Tempus and Goldballs matter in the current status quo, as they are vital to the resurrection protocols (though not much has been done with these characters aside for that, as far as I know), but there are other runs previous to Krakoa that got shunned as soon as possible
    Tempus didn't really push the needle for me, since we already had Sway, Lacuna, Kiden Nixon, Timeslip and Tempo, for time-manipulators, but Goldballs was so totally different that he was the one thing from the Bendis run I really liked and wanted to stick around. I find the retcon involving his 'goldballs' being organic eggs to be kinda weird and gross (good lord, if you need organic material to reshape into clone bodies, just have Krakoa grow some! Or have Madrox pump out bodies, that's like, his actual power!), but at least it's made him relevant to this Krakoa era.

After he was shown expelling some goldballs with force, and creating different sizes and quantities of them, I was waiting for him to throw a bunch of tiny metal spheres like a claymore mine explosion (or shotgun pellet blast), or create one the size of a cannonball and expel it at hundreds of MPH to act as a literal cannonball, or make a giant hollow one around himself as a 'shield' against harm (or flotation device, or life support / vehicle), or cool stuff like that. But no. They aren't effective projectiles anymore, just protein, and what teen boy can't shoot protein? Boring.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I don’t know what this means, but I’m scared!
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    I don’t know what this means, but I’m scared!
    Hah I assume they're just going to interview him?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Hah I assume they're just going to interview him?
    Nope. Wasn’t joking. Thanks for the clarification.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver