Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    This run is already an improvement from Slott's in terms of utilising Sue.
    This is not surprising considering, well, Slott's Sue.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This is not surprising considering, well, Slott's Sue.
    It's a low bar, but Sue being in limbo for 3 years only to come back to a writer who had interest in writing her was heartbreaking. North giving her story arcs and some focus is the bare minimum, but feels like a godsend.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Apparently we will find out what Sue's a doctor of in October, which is so far away...

But a few good things is that next week's issue will have Sue and Johnny be integral in saving the day, and issue 8 will have Sue and Alicia in the lead.

This run is already an improvement from Slott's in terms of utilising Sue.
    when was Sue's advanced degree even announced? Why wait until October?

What bearing will it have on future stories? Or current stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

All the way back in Fractions run I think. But it was never elaborated on what the field actually was, which is very lazy imo.

Right now she's leading the team and you can see a difference in her dynamic with Reed. Instead of letting him explain everything while she pretends to understand, they bounce ideas off each other. And she sometimes chimes in with an explanation that Johnny can understand.

How it will effect future stories depends on what North has her field be, and how he handles it. So I hope it's something fun that expands possible stories for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

With North writing his introductory issues as well as #700, it may be considered too much, too soon. It could mentioned that Sue's degree is in (pulling a field at random, not a prediction or a like on my part) Library Science, but it seems to be an important plot point for North. It really doesn't matter unless there is a story connection which appears to be coming about issue 705.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Susan Storm, A Weapon Of Mass Destruction (Fantastic Four #6 Spoilers): https://bleedingcool.com/comics/susa...ur-6-spoilers/
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Susan Storm, A Weapon Of Mass Destruction (Fantastic Four #6 Spoilers): https://bleedingcool.com/comics/susa...ur-6-spoilers/
    I can't wait for Wednesday!

Man do I love this run!

All the way back in Fractions run I think. But it was never elaborated on what the field actually was, which is very lazy imo.

Right now she's leading the team and you can see a difference in her dynamic with Reed. Instead of letting him explain everything while she pretends to understand, they bounce ideas off each other. And she sometimes chimes in with an explanation that Johnny can understand.

How it will effect future stories depends on what North has her field be, and how he handles it. So I hope it's something fun that expands possible stories for her.
    To me, this points out the main problem.

Consistency in writing these characters will vacillate a bit between writers and runs.

There have been previous times where Sue, Reed and others would be more of a gestalt, because when you think about it

that is baked into their idea; they complement each other so well. They are all at some level of being able to lead, but

being able to work as a consensus is only a plus.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    "Dr. Storm" - Well, suddenly that thing from Slott that she prefers her maiden name feels more relevant .

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    To me, this points out the main problem.

Consistency in writing these characters will vacillate a bit between writers and runs.

There have been previous times where Sue, Reed and others would be more of a gestalt, because when you think about it

that is baked into their idea; they complement each other so well. They are all at some level of being able to lead, but

being able to work as a consensus is only a plus.
    Her being the leader is something that change, as comics like to revert back to status quo even when it doesn't benefit anything. But, Sue being a doctor is something that won't go away. Depending on the field, it could greatly benefit her and her future depictions.

- Reed, come up with something smart!
    - Johnny, don't be naughty!
    - Children, I have you!
    - I can make invisible clothes on a person!
    - Oh. My. Stars!

Six issues later

- I'm the leader of the team
    - I'm a PhD
    - I can save the whole world
    - I can destroy the whole world
    - I am cool

P.S. You know, it's just for fun, Slott definitely had no idea what to do with Sue and didn't want to do anything, but I really love the wedding issue and I forgive Dan... for everything

But North is just on different level. His ideas, creativity, ingenuity, understanding of the characters is impressive. Not to mention the obvious ability to tell great stories.
    Ryan North has already written his name in F4 history in a very positive way.
    Last edited by CitizenXXX; 04-10-2023 at 02:01 AM.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Dr. Storm" - Well, suddenly that thing from Slott that she prefers her maiden name feels more relevant .
    Maybe.

However, I think Maria Hill calls Sue "Dr. Storm" because it's just waaaaay shorter than "Dr. Storm-Richards" and maybe because Sue got her PhD before getting married to Reed. (I'm not an FF expert, so it's just a hunch.)
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    With North writing his introductory issues as well as #700, it may be considered too much, too soon. It could mentioned that Sue's degree is in (pulling a field at random, not a prediction or a like on my part) Library Science, but it seems to be an important plot point for North. It really doesn't matter unless there is a story connection which appears to be coming about issue 705.
    There are doctorates in Library Science, but the common librarian (and there are none, really) is a Masters degree.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I'm way behind on the run, thank goodness my LCS is faithfully holding my recent issues.

i'm so going to enjoy Sue's increased role.
    So it occurs to me that some years ago there was a storyline where aliens wanted to kidnap Sue or something, because they wanted her power to do a similar type of feat, hide their world(s) from Galactus.
    My memories are hazy (once upon a time I would re-read issues over and over and mostly always remember them - that was maybe up to somewhere in the '90s...., so I don't remember more recent stories as well as the classics)

but Johnny and Sue switch powers (another one of those odd things about the 4 and their unique nature) and we have an Invisible Man for a bit - this served the plot as I recall.

Now, Sue can blot out the sun, it seems.

I think we need a new story that puts all these ideas or concepts into alignment with each other.

Does it seem possible that maybe Galactus or Surfer were drawn to earth originally because of Sue's potentials?
    Even though she hadn't manifested her full range, something in her power is supreme

She's even used it unconsciously.
    She's punched a hole in Celestial armor.

Her power has always been tied into how she can visualize the effect, whether it was those "bi-located" spheres way back
    or changing her appearance in the more recent mini series
    moving, covering Manhatten or other incredibly large masses

She has to do all these things by 'thinking' and seeing with her mind's eye, what to do.

So it was always about her mind accepting increased possibilities.

All the various things that happened to increase or enhance her powers -

the Mind-horn thing in an Inhumans story. Having the Captain Universe thing.
    many things or experiences, but it really is about

Sue just understanding or realizing it's her and her ability to 'see'- what others cannot.
    I love her.
    ~ Oberon ~

I'm way behind on the run, thank goodness my LCS is faithfully holding my recent issues.
    Rao bless LCSes

Sue just understanding or realizing it's her and her ability to 'see'- what others cannot.
    I love her.
    That is a very elegant and poetic way of expressing Sue's true power.