Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    There are actually a few. Claremont also created Baroness Von Doom but she isn't in too many issues.

There is 1610 Sue, who also becomes Kang. Lots of issues of that run.

There is 2099 Sue who is a clone of original. Several issues There.

My favorite is the Marvel Adventures Sue where she leads an Avengers team with Cap. About 20 issues

There is a referenced one where she remains as Malice forever but no one has dug deeper into that universe sadly. Would be fun.

Also, in Ghost Spiders Universe Sue and Johnny are celebs and Sue sort of seduces Doom and then kills him and takes over.

Lots of Sue's in the Exiles run. But yeah, she's often attached to Namor or Doom.

Age of Ultron Sue was sort of main character along with Wolverine.

So there is plenty of AU Sue's to read about
    I think old old issues of What IF? have Sue as the Thing, a big irony I suppose.

Although many of us have seen or come to see/love the many faceted person she is,

she is somewhat of a pure ( = bland) template for all these

inversions. It's actually pretty cool in a way but

why not have a version of Sue more akin to Spider-Gwen, or the Maker.

A universe's Sue that is different and unique, and capable of becoming a main character like those.

(and not necessarily evil). for example a universe without a Reed, but a just as intelligent Sue

who along with her Avengers discover Captain America in ice.

She eventually marries him.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

RUMOR: Sue Storm Will Be the Main Character of the MCU's Fantastic Four

https://www.cbr.com/sue-storm-main-c...antastic-four/

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    RUMOR: Sue Storm Will Be the Main Character of the MCU's Fantastic Four

https://www.cbr.com/sue-storm-main-c...antastic-four/
    I'm excited to hear that. The trajectory has seemed to be more and more about unique, female characters and since Sue is literally

the first Marvel Comics female character,

could be a blast.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Dr. Susan Storm-Richards, Archaeologist.

I'm loving it! I'm gonna need a book where she goes on Indiana Jones/Laura Croft-esque adventures across the Marvel Universe!

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I get what they're going for, and what it means for the title and Sue in general, just feels a little too late to be retroactively adding in and acting like it's always been a thing.

Though time will tell if it will stick any more than "Secret Agent Invisible Woman" did.

Like I said in the other thread, I think it's not an egregious retcon. It fits her as a character and provides an opportunity for Sue to have adventures that center her in the future.

I did not like her as a secret agent, so I don't mourn it being forgotten. I hope her being an archaeologist sticks, and I don't see a reason why it won't. It's honestly in a better position of staying than her being a spy.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Like I said in the other thread, I think it's not an egregious retcon. It fits her as a character and provides an opportunity for Sue to have adventures that center her in the future.

I did not like her as a secret agent, so I don't mourn it being forgotten. I hope her being an archaeologist sticks, and I don't see a reason why it won't. It's honestly in a better position of staying than her being a spy.
    Sue's background in archeology is one that reminds me of another blonde with a doctorate, Cathy Gale. Cathy Gale preceded Emma Peel as John Steed's partner, and she held a doctorate in anthropology. Now the two fields aren't the same but archeology is considered a branch of anthropology so I am stretching things (double pun regretfully unintended) in thinking there's some inspiration there. While the use of real life Kathleen Kenyon was a nice touch, her saying she's more Cathy Gale than Indiana Jones would have been something I would have liked.

As for retcons, Sue is full of retcons and understandably so. She was created in pre womens lib days when she was "the girl". It took decades for her to gain the status and gravitas she has now. Adding in her degree also serves to make her older and more adult for the flight and less like a 19 yr old.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

hmm.. so was she still a short-lived model/TV actress? Just wondering.
    was this "always" a part of her history now, or was she taking night classes/weekend classes somewhere to finally finish?
    Show her defending her dissertation!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    was this "always" a part of her history now, or was she taking night classes/weekend classes somewhere to finally finish?
    I think the model stuff hasn't changed. She could have done both as she wasn't a hugely successful model or actress.
    Fractions run 10 years ago retconned it so that she got her degree before the flight, but it never said what her field was. North didn't really retcon anything, he just gave a subject to a prior retcon.

I actually thought the secret agent thing was pretty cool and Waid wrote a solid mini with Sue .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I actually thought the secret agent thing was pretty cool and Waid wrote a solid mini with Sue .
    I thought it was fine, and fell into the trap of not really doing anything for the character outside of her powers. It was more about the guy than it was about Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I've always seen Sue as having that desire to be a model/actress/star. I also see her as being smart enough and knowledgeable enough about the business to know that on talent alone, she wasn't going to be a major success. However with the FF fame, she found some exposure and Namor financing the movie didn't hurt either. Audie Murphy had a film career, so why not Sue? There's also Wonder Man and over at DC, Animal Man worked in movies.

As for her dissertation, yes! I also hope to see a version of Alyssa Moy, Moira MacTaggert, or Dr Strange's Sara Wolfe from Sue's academic past popping up as a professional peer for a story.

I thought it was fine, and fell into the trap of not really doing anything for the character outside of her powers. It was more about the guy than it was about Sue.
    I think she still had some really cool moments .

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    As for retcons, Sue is full of retcons and understandably so. She was created in pre womens lib days when she was "the girl". It took decades for her to gain the status and gravitas she has now. Adding in her degree also serves to make her older and more adult for the flight and less like a 19 yr old.
    Wasn't she about 23 when the flight happened? Eight years older than Johnny (who was 15), and also quite a bit younger than Ben and Reed? She was Johnny's legal guardian, which wouldn't be likely if she was close enough to Johnny's age to have still been a minor herself when their parents died.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wasn't she about 23 when the flight happened? Eight years older than Johnny (who was 15), and also quite a bit younger than Ben and Reed? She was Johnny's legal guardian, which wouldn't be likely if she was close enough to Johnny's age to have still been a minor herself when their parents died.
    We're also talking very early 1960s and every other hero with a sidekick had a "ward" or something. Custody issues weren't clearly defined in comics then. That's a main reason why Sue is loaded with retcons.