Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I know the story is overall mediocre but what exactly happens to Billy there?
    Absolutely nothing. He's basically just in the background and occasionally takes verbal abuse from people. It's made very clear that if you're in trouble Shazam(Billy) is not the one you rely on. Shazam(Mary) on the other hand manages to straddle the line between victim and heroine perfectly!

The whole thing is just weird. Billy and Mary act more like room-mates than family.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    Absolutely nothing. He's basically just in the background and occasionally takes verbal abuse from people. It's made very clear that if you're in trouble Shazam(Billy) is not the one you rely on. Shazam(Mary) on the other hand manages to straddle the line between victim and heroine perfectly!

The whole thing is just weird. Billy and Mary act more like room-mates than family.
    What does Billy get said about him specifically? And how is Mary a victim there?

Wait isn't Josie Campbell writing the back-up? Is she also involved in the main book?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    My religious education might have been somewhat lacking, but isnÂ’t SolomonÂ’s reputation for wisdom ludicrously overhyped?
    Considering the nature of your statement, me thinks that your "religious education" is indeed "lacking".

However, having said that, "Solomon" has been treated as a myth, a legend and a historical figure, depending upon the culture his story comes from. Example: while Solomon in the Bible and Torah is treated as a man with keen insights and common sense (save for his propensity for having hundreds of wives, which is, IMO, decidedly not wise), Solomon, under the name "Suleman", is treated as a vizier, who was also a wizard in his own right, as well as a scholar/philosopher. Now, which stories are true or not, I don't know (he was probably just a smart leader for his people, on par with Hammurabi the Great), Fawcett Comics, and later DC, has put the comic book version of Solomon on par with Achilles and Hercules, mortals who were divinely inspired (directly or indirectly).

Unfortunately, in my opinion, very few writers have utilized the "Wisdom of Solomon" it's fullest. They just treat Shazam has just the super-powered guy, but on the physical level. Heck, the "Courage of Achilles" is just as maltreated, with writers trying to figure out what that means in the modern context.

IMO, first, they should change "Wisdom of Solomon" to "Intellect of Socrates". It would firmly place Billy in the Olympian pantheon camp, and it will allow writers a better grasp of how Billy's mind should work. Basically, with the Intellect of Socrates, Billy becomes super-smart and intellectual, something that modern, less-esoteric writers get a hold of. Besides, there is already "Seraph", the Israeli version of Shazam, who has the Wisdom of Solomon as well. Let him have Solomon, while Billy keeps Socrates.

Secondly, if the Wisdom of Solomon is still to be used, Billy, when powered, should take advantage of the legends behind the man. Legendary Solomon was a wizard, so Billy should have an affinity with magic (though untrained). Solomon was insightful and diplomatic; Billy should be that, and mature as well. Solomon was a master at figuring out puzzles, riddles and mysteries; Billy, when powered-up, should be able to out smart the Riddler, the Joker and could be a source/help for someone like Batman, who was trained to be a master detective. "Shazam" should be able to look at a crime scene, and begin to ask questions concerning patterns of behavior. It is ONLY because he lacks formal training that someone like Batman would not trust Billy's judgement in its entirely (i.e. "trust but verify").

Basically, all I am saying is that I hope that Mark Wade really delves into what could make "The Captain" (i.e. ugh) a formidable superhero, while balancing it with the more whimsical nature of the character.

BTW, as an aside, the Courage of Achilles should entail, imo a) being able to stand up to anyone, even the Dark Gods/Entities of the Universe, and not flinch, and b) basically be the DC version of Marvel's Taskmaster, a villain that can pickup combat skills from a foe while in fighting said foe.

What does Billy get said about him specifically? And how is Mary a victim there?

Wait isn't Josie Campbell writing the back-up? Is she also involved in the main book?
    Mary surrendered her powers to revive a nearly-dead Diana. Later, she mopes, narrating about how she used to be a hero (it's later the same day!) and Diana tells her she's a Marvel (inspiring the revival of her Mary Marvel codename) and gives her Wonder Girl's old equipment (Cassie's gear from before she learned she was a demigoddess).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Specifically, Yara Flor within 5 mins on meeting Shazam(Billy) calls him a guy more used to playing a hero than actually being one! Then proceeds to call him brainless muscle that can help her get into Olympus. The Wizard(because of the lazarus volcano) once again doubts he made the right decision in choosing Billy and states that Mary has the superior intellect. Also as the final F U to Billy she tosses away the title(Champion of Shazam) she fought to hard to obtain in that 4 issue mini, labelling it as 'overused' and saying that Billy can have it. Just so she can come out as Mary Marvel. Billy didn't have much to in this event except stand there and look pretty, so I'm unsure as to why everything said has to be negative at worst or a backhanded compliment at best.

Mary is the victim because from the start of her mini she never wanted the powers. She just wanted to go college and have nothing to do with the superhero life and partially blames Billy for bringing her back to the foster home. She then finally gets her wish, gives up the power to Wonder Woman whos like a double ascended goddess now(DBZ power scaling). Then proceeds to cry about how useless she feels without the power.

Specifically, Yara Flor within 5 mins on meeting Shazam(Billy) calls him a guy more used to playing a hero than actually being one! Then proceeds to call him brainless muscle that can help her get into Olympus. The Wizard(because of the lazarus volcano) once again doubts he made the right decision in choosing Billy and states that Mary has the superior intellect. Also as the final F U to Billy she tosses away the title(Champion of Shazam) she fought to hard to obtain in that 4 issue mini, labelling it as 'overused' and saying that Billy can have it. Just so she can come out as Mary Marvel. Billy didn't have much to in this event except stand there and look pretty, so I'm unsure as to why everything said has to be negative at worst or a backhanded compliment at best.

Mary is the victim because from the start of her mini she never wanted the powers. She just wanted to go college and have nothing to do with the superhero life and partially blames Billy for bringing her back to the foster home. She then finally gets her wish, gives up the power to Wonder Woman whos like a double ascended goddess now(DBZ power scaling). Then proceeds to cry about how useless she feels without the power.
    That is fucking hilarious considering Yara hasn't even been a superhero for a year. She is in no position to be criticizing anyone since she's the biggest greenhorn in the cast.

Also everything about Mary there sounds schizophrenic as Hell.

Oh well at least Billy's getting the last laugh soon. He's the one with the ongoing while Yara is regulated as a side-character and Mary too.

Mark Waid can't come soon enough.

Astonishing Member

The emasculation of male characters in some comics needs to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Mark Waid can't come soon enough.
    I wonder if weird direction changes for Mary weren't requested by Waid. Like, I'm sure that he had no interest in her being Champion of Shazam.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I wonder if weird direction changes for Mary weren't requested by Waid. Like, I'm sure that he had no interest in her being Champion of Shazam.
    I mean, if Billy's the main character there isn't much point to it. If they had planned to take Billy off the table for longer they might've done more with it, but as it is...

Mary's whole Champion thing is most likely another 5G remnant. That New Champion book was setting up a status quo that is already moot with Billy becoming the main Shazam guy again in an actual ongoing.

Hell New Champion was only 4 issues. Thats pretty short even by mini-series standards.

But thats really the same question, would Billy be back if Waid wasn't writing the new series?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    But thats really the same question, would Billy be back if Waid wasn't writing the new series?
    Probably not until another writer wanted to use the character. We just got lucky that Waid came along when he did. I am baffled though as Waid said he'd be using Mary Marvel in his upcoming run, but currently after giving up her power she's basically the new Wonder Girl(got Cassie Sandsmark's old gear). I think we have one more issue of this Lazarus Planet arc before Waid's run begins and I wonder if she'll get her powers back at the end.

I think is just for the event, with WW getting Shazam powers and Mary turning into Wonder Girl. But you never know, WW's creative team is fumbling their run's finale rather badly.

Incredible Member

SNIP!

Well, to be fair, we're dealing with a WW event, and, traditionally, Amazons tend to be chauvinistic towards males anyway. But, other than that, yeah, the Marvels were NOT being used well, other than reacting to everything. Billy had a much better depiction facing off against the gods in DARKSEID WAR and in the INJUSTICE comics tie-in, when Billy bodied Herakles while standing his ground when facing Zeus and the others.