Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Nope, the New 52 reboot is still canon. Waid just used Lazarus Planet as a way to mold Billy’s status quo closer to his liking.
    AKA a more traditional status quo .

Astonishing Member

Nope, the New 52 reboot is still canon. Waid just used Lazarus Planet as a way to mold Billy’s status quo closer to his liking.
    If it’s a different Wizard, and they’ve gone from living in Philadelphia and attending Fawcett High to living in Fawcett city it’s safe to say the bulk of Johns stuff isn’t canon (not helped by Johns retconning himself)

One way or the other can we stick to it. Changing between attempts at change (shallow or genuine) and blanket tradition is how we’ve ended up relitigating the post crisis era for nearly 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    If it’s a different Wizard, and they’ve gone from living in Philadelphia and attending Fawcett High to living in Fawcett city it’s safe to say the bulk of Johns stuff isn’t canon (not helped by Johns retconning himself)

One way or the other can we stick to it. Changing between attempts at change (shallow or genuine) and blanket tradition is how we’ve ended up relitigating the post crisis era for nearly 40 years.
    Honestly I don't see anyone other than Johns rushing to re-establish his take on the property.

Incredible Member

What makes you say that what Johns has done isn't "canon"? Just because Waid is changing the status quo? There isn't any indication that Fawcett City did not exist during Johns run.

The kids Johns created, the origin story Johns created, the Wizard Johns created, and Billy and Mary no longer being biological twins will still be canon. Waid’s changing some stuff but the vast majority of Johns’ canon is staying in place. Some soft retcons like the city where everything takes place doesn’t change the roots.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    What makes you say that what Johns has done isn't "canon"? Just because Waid is changing the status quo? There isn't any indication that Fawcett City did not exist during Johns run.
    He hates Johns and wants everything Johns ever did to be erased.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-11-2023 at 02:14 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Yeah. I won't be surprised if Waid does something to somehow merge things though - Billy did show up in his World's Finest, which is set in the silver age but also in current continuity - they sealed Nezha in that book, who then showed up in the present in Batman vs Robin. And Billy was already a superhero - Nezha actually made Billy's mouth seal shut so that he couldn't say Shazam. That's totally incompatible with the New 52 stuff (heck, if Billy was active back then, when Dick was still Robin and the original Teen Titans have only recently formed, he should be around 30, not 16). Heck, it's an outright retcon, as Billy shouldn't be around in the main DC universe pre-Crisis (he was originally only licenced from Fawcett, so his stories were set on Earth-S instead of Earth-1 - by the time Crisis happened they'd bought Captain Marvel outright).

Maybe the magic constantly de-ages and relocates them - Mary just became an adult, so maybe that's about to trigger again.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

He hates Johns and wants everything Johns ever did to be erased.
    And that Monkey’s paw is curling

The kids Johns created, the origin story Johns created, the Wizard Johns created, and Billy and Mary no longer being biological twins will still be canon. Waid’s changing some stuff but the vast majority of Johns’ canon is staying in place. Some soft retcons like the city where everything takes place doesn’t change the roots.
    I think that might be on the chopping block depending on how long Waid is on the title or the next soft reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think that might be on the chopping block depending on how long Waid is on the title or the next soft reboot.
    Waid was asked if he preferred that relationship over the new adopted one in that interview, and he said he never even thought about that relationship and that he doesn’t really care about whether the two are biological or adopted siblings. Maybe he’ll change his mind but for now I expect he’s going to leave it be.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Waid was asked if he preferred that relationship over the new adopted one in that interview, and he said he never even thought about that relationship and that he doesn’t really care about whether the two are biological or adopted siblings. Maybe he’ll change his mind but for now I expect he’s going to leave it be.
    Maybe Waid won't do it, but if they're reducing the presence of the rest of the family I feel like it's inevitable they'll try to make Billy and Mary closer again and the obvious solution to that is to make them bio siblings again.

I expect even Waid, though, to double-down on her being his sister. Not sure if he'll point out the current age gap or not.

And that Monkey’s paw is curling
    I honestly had great hope when both Power Girl and the good Captain were added to the JSA under Johns (and Goyer? I can't remember when Goyer got oush). It had been so ling since I had seen either in action.

That hope was completely unfounded.

I'm just in awe that this is happening right when the movie is coming out. I guess it shows that DC has no faith in it doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I'm just in awe that this is happening right when the movie is coming out. I guess it shows that DC has no faith in it doing well.
    Is anyone really expecting it to do well? I expect another modest success just like the first one.

Wanna bet in two years Freddy will be back to black hair?

I wonder if he'll be Captain Junior ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wanna bet in two years Freddy will be back to black hair?

I wonder if he'll be Captain Junior ?
    I know, right?! I'd even settle for the return of CM3 (XD)