Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Some Past talk below.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Gotcha

That was me. Its funny. I don't get that from Cyborg... I'm not a big titans fan but what they do to him in the JLA is exactly what I was afraid they'd do.

He replaced the Martian Manhunter as the Justice Leagues "Butler".
    Its hard to imagine scenario where he's the one to "pound his fist on the table" (nice turn of phrase btw) in the presence of the Supers and Bats... and while I can't see flash doing that either its not because he's the butler.

Night Thrasher? IIRC I've seen him stand up to cap. Not to imply thats requisite or something I NEED to see to show a characters backbone, but too many of these guys seem to have it removed.

Apologies for dragging marvel into it, but I' VAGUELY remember "Blue marvel, power up captain marvel for an attack." and think... why don't you just attack yourself?
    they made him kind of a pacifist professor type for most of the book, which again to me often feels like a butler.
    Blade, Night Thrasher types are in short supply, but I'd settle for Dave Chappel with Ninja powers at this point.
    Need more strength of character. long story short. More gravitas on the stories as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I felt like he had a lot more 'inner life' as a Wolfman/Perez Titan than he has as the Justice Leagues 'guy in the chair' / IT guy. He could be replaced by a talking chair, for all the 'life' he's shown in the League, sometimes.

Yeah, another case of a whole lot of hat, and very little cat. As Tony Stark would say, 'You're tip-toeing around. You need to *strut.*' And yet it sometimes feels, with characters like Blue Marvel or Icon, that the writers are kind of afraid of showing a really top tier black male character cutting loose.

In that sense, I kind of miss Battalion, from Wildstorm's original Stormwatch lineup. He was unapologetically kickass, and didn't feel like he was holding back or relegated to not showing off to upstage the white folk on the page. (Since he was team leader, and one of the powerhouses. Although, yeah, uber-stoic, and the more emotionally charged / impulsive / 'angry' roles got 'safely' relegated to white folk like Flashpoint and Hellstrike...)

And ha about Blue Marvel powering up Carol in that scene, 'cause I felt the same way every time Colossus did a 'fastball special' with Wolverine. "Or, I could throw this bus at the Sentinel, and you could find some other way to get your gimp ass to the fight, tovarisch... Here's a nickel, go buy a real super-power."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Icon and Blue Marvel not cutting loose was the point of their character arcs. They weren't written that way, by black men no less, because the writers were afraid of the angry black man stereotype (Icon's creator went on the write Hardware whose first story is called "Angry Black Man").

As for calling Blue Marvel the "butler" is an exaggeration of his portrayal in Ultimates.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...18#post4680418

This is from john stewart thread.
    Another thread i try stay away from as much as possible.
    So much negativity and hardly appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace
    To me, Blue is a mix of Superman, John Stewart, and Reed Richards. I find him to be a highly interesting character that I strongly desire to see utilized more and fleshed out. Alas, nobody at Marvel will even attempt to touch him with a 10ft pole, probably because his immense powerset and intellect may be too daunting of a task to portray for the writers.

I'd actually say John is in better condition than Blue is right now, since John has been more consistently utilized in various things comics + outside media. Like I said on this thread regarding our boy John and on Blue's thread, all that can change with a successful movie. It's a faint hope to hold onto (maybe less for John), but it's all we've got.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    I can't say John is necessarily in better condition than Blue Marvel, sure John has more consistently utilized but how pivotal has he been to those appearances in recent years? how well written and fleshed out has he been? John gets used more consistently used because he's been around the block longer but, in the current comic/superhero storytelling landscape, I believe Blue Marvel gets handled with better care when he's put on-page.

Blue Marvel's origin is contemporarily relevant and he is rarely relegated to being background or a cheerleader, or a sidekick if he's in the panel he's usually doing something that points to his strengths as a character. I just don't think John gets written as consistently compelling or with as much care comparatively
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on-2019/page77

More past talk.

The Maestro is stronger then savage hulk and thor by the way and blue marvel knock him back with one punch

By the way i want to say something about feats that i said while ago but i almost forgot to mention here or i was just going to leave it alone.

These are views/comments i have over time when folks talk about feats,statments and bio info etc..

Wonder woman in the death of superman animated movie.
    GodofBoredom quote-
    If she were physically equal to Superman, she'd make him redundant, considering she's much more skilled, magical, with a sword that cuts through anything, with a bracelet that blocks anything, and with a lasso that bounds everybody.

She also has no weakness, compared to kryptonite, red sun and magic.
    Give her a GL ring (I'm pretty sure you'd say her willpower should be high enough to handle one), and the Justice League can go on vacation.
    She has never been as strong as Superman.

This is consistent, among the entire comic book publishing history, to the point where I'm honestly amazed a small amount people still exist that cling to their internalized fan-fiction. It doesn't matter what writers say, Gladiator was created to be Pre-Crisis Superman, Thor was created to be stronger than Hulk, and much more, what matters is what's published, not what writers say in interviews to stroke egos.

You're going into 'secret collusion' paranoia that is, quite frankly, embarrassing.
    She's a badass warrior, with OP weapons, tactical ability, fighting ability second to none and physical ability second ONLY to Superman, who has none of the former. The longer you continue this inferiority-complex based "but she also has to be as strong!!!", the more people will face palm.

Doomsday is a physically nigh-unstoppable being, which makes him tailor made for Superman. Wonder Woman losing to him, when that's not her strength, is not bad. The same way Superman losing to Circe, while Wonder Woman beats her, is not bad for him.
    http://community.comicbookresources....ointment/page9

Marvel and dc gets the last word by the way and not the writer.
    For example, kevin the creator of blue marvel wanted blue marvel intelligence to be 5 and his speed to be 6 on the marvel power grid,but marvel said no and wanted blue marvel speed to be 5 or not light speed and they gave blue marvel intelligence a 6 instead of 5.
    Anyway officially marvel had blue marvel strength to be equal or greater then worldbreaker hulk and odin force thor.

Worldbreaker hulk by the way is not normal hulk.
    Blue marvel striking strength is more powerful then Worldbreaker hulk.Blue marvel has enhanced energy punches too.
    I have notice this being downplayed alot in battle forums and other forums when it comes to talking about strength and blue marvel strength and it should not be downplayed.
    Blue marvel has knock out hulks with one punch and sentry as not and hulk has never knock out sentry with one punch like blue marvel does to hulks and what he did to the sentry.
    That's a major feat that is downplayed by certain folks i have notice over the years and i will not let them get away that.
    I am sticking to my views.

Ice man lgbt talk.

Killerbee911 quote-

Sorry the only opinion that matters is Marvel,creators come along saying a character was meant to be something does not matter. Claremont or whatever other writers intended for Kitty doesn't matter she dates guys in the comics, Whatever it is Yost intended for X-23 she still dates only guys, Whatever Rob Liefield intended for Shatterstar and Rictor doesn't matter because Marvel went in a other direction. I would 100% percent bet that Stan Lee never intended for Iceman to be gay but it does not matter because Marvel owns Iceman not Stan Lee. Until it hits the page does not matter and when it does it is canon. Iceman is gay
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-as-the-90%92s
    Last edited by mace11; 02-11-2023 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Some Past talk below.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...18#post4680418

This is from john stewart thread.
    Another thread i try stay away from as much as possible.
    So much negativity and hardly appreciation.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on-2019/page77

More past talk.

Wonder woman in the death of superman animated movie.
    GodofBoredom quote-

http://community.comicbookresources....ointment/page9

Ice man lgbt talk.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-as-the-90%92s
    Just a heads up you mixed up my quote with the other user, I was the former and he was the latter. No biggie

I'm curious. If any of you were given free reign over Blue Marvel, how would you approach writing him (portrayal of powers/intellect/threats/etc)?

Me personally, I'd make his book "Superman meets F4", a classic hero type with more of a sci-fi twist. Throw in an atomic age design flair for good measure.
    Last edited by Cosmic Emerald 23; 02-11-2023 at 03:27 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I'm curious. If any of you were given free reign over Blue Marvel, how would you approach writing him (portrayal of powers/intellect/threats/etc)?

Me personally, I'd make his book "Superman meets F4", a classic hero type with more of a sci-fi twist. Throw in an atomic age design flair for good measure.
    I assume by meets F4 there would be some super-science going on??

Add to that a good rogues gallery. Create some "classic" villains for him. Bad guys he fought back in the day who would still be around. Descendants of those types. And some "brand new" enemies for him from the modern day.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    It is not just Adam they do that to. John Walker gets crapped on all the time.
    John Walker, as in Marvel's subversive retort to America's prohibitum on steroids the same way that Sentry was its reply to the crack/cocaine/opioid epidemics? Individuals that gain powers from consumption of illicit chemical substances should be jobbed often to discourage young minds from thinking that they will benefit similar outcomes and exalted privilege. The redemptive aspect of both origins often gets lost in the haze.

In any event, John Walker is not Adam Brashear. Walker is merely the umpteenth iteration of a Southern/frontier hero. He wasn't created to be the singular, once in a generation, flagship character. Adam was.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 02-12-2023 at 12:47 PM.

I have never been fan for the same reason I'm not a fan of the Sentry. His clumsy ham handed "Was always here" origin.

I hated it when the Sentry did it and I hate it here.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I have never been fan for the same reason I'm not a fan of the Sentry. His clumsy ham handed "Was always here" origin.

I hated it when the Sentry did it and I hate it here.
    No doubt, that aspect of Adam's origin is deeply problematic. I would definitely expand on that premise. Nope, I don't believe an Executive Order alone is sufficient to stop Superman from carrying out Samaritan acts.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    John Walker, as in Marvel's subversive retort to America's prohibitum on steroids the same way that Sentry was its reply to the crack/cocaine/opioid epidemics? Individuals that gain powers from consumption of illicit chemical substances should be jobbed often to discourage young minds from thinking that they will benefit similar outcomes and exalted privilege. The redemptive aspect of both origins often gets lost in the haze.

In any event, John Walker is not Adam Brashear. Walker is merely the umpteenth iteration of a Southern/frontier hero. He wasn't created to be the singular, once in a generation, flagship character. Adam was.
    1st...The Power Broker enhancement is no more a 'steroid' than any variant of the super soldier serum...

2nd...My point is not about the intention of the writer when creating the character. Simply that both have well established power levels and capabilities that are blatantly ignored by writers who come later.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    1st...The Power Broker enhancement is no more a 'steroid' than any variant of the super soldier serum...
    It was a process of physical augmentation sold to their primary "client base" of wrestlers in the Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation. And let's not forget that there was an addictive narcotic component as well, if memory serves. Pretty clear to me, but I understand if the similarities don't immediately register on everyone's dashboard.

Extraordinary Member

It was a process of physical augmentation sold to their primary "client base" of wrestlers in the Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation. And let's not forget that there was an addictive narcotic component as well, if memory serves. Pretty clear to me, but I understand if the similarities don't immediately register on everyone's dashboard.
    The addictive component was a something that the Power Broker used to keep the clients beholden to him. He told them they needed the pills to keep their abilities stabilized and keep them alive. It was a lie. It was just an addictive substance and if they did not take it the worst that would happen was they would go through withdrawal. The clients did not know the truth and that is why a lot of them went after Thing and Ms Marvel...because PB told them if they did not kill the Thing he would withhold what they thought was keeping them alive. Dennis Dunphy refused to try to kill Thing as they were friends and started going through withdrawal and was hospitalized but made a full recovery. After PB was taken down that time the clients all went through withdrawal but were fine otherwise. This is from the old Thing solo and then into the Captain America issues where Steve is trying to track down info on Super Patriot and goes to the UCWF facility in LA and meets Dennis Dunphy and gets the back story.

As well...the UCWF predates John Walker by nearly a year and a half.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 02-12-2023 at 08:14 PM.

I would start with a power swap between Adam Brashear and Eli Bradley (Patriot). Adam sacrifices himself to save his new, young protege, endowing him with all of his antimatter powers, before pushing him through the portal to Earth. Adam remains in the Neutral Zone in the direst of straits. The timer on his protective armor counts down to zero and we're sure he's a goner. But predictably, Adam doesn't die. Instead, we're taken on an epic journey through the Neutral Zone, including meeting the first denizens of the realm and the mysterious "phantom Celestial" known as the Lost Monarch. There will be battles and discoveries, love and loss, and guest stars aplenty like the Infinaut, Kevin Brashear, Dr. Doom (from the "Good Mirror" universe), Adam Warlock, Oshtur and the great, great, great, great, great granddaddy of all sentient dragons. And of course, there will be something shiny to obtain before all is lost. You know, your typical 12 issue series.

Amazing Member

I would start with a power swap between Adam Brashear and Eli Bradley (Patriot). Adam sacrifices himself to save his new, young protege, endowing him with all of his antimatter powers, before pushing him through the portal to Earth. Adam remains in the Neutral Zone in the direst of straits. The timer on his protective armor counts down to zero and we're sure he's a goner. But predictably, Adam doesn't die. Instead, we're taken on an epic journey through the Neutral Zone, including meeting the first denizens of the realm and the mysterious "phantom Celestial" known as the Lost Monarch. There will be battles and discoveries, love and loss, and guest stars aplenty like the Infinaut, Kevin Brashear, Dr. Doom (from the "Good Mirror" universe), Adam Warlock, Oshtur and the great, great, great, great, great granddaddy of all sentient dragons. And of course, there will be something shiny to obtain before all is lost. You know, your typical 12 issue series.
    Is it sad that I read your reply as if it was trailer, complete with obligatory heroic sound track and panoramic flight scenes? Or have trailers for super hero movies become so predictable?

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon jiren View Post
    Is it sad that I read your reply as if it was trailer, complete with obligatory heroic sound track and panoramic flight scenes? Or have trailers for super hero movies become so predictable?
    I think the truly sad part is that our expectations for action and adventure films have been lowered to the point that producers really don't need to do much to get us to open our wallets.

That's pretty much where I am with Blue Marvel as well. I'm not asking for much, just a little bit of steak and fries, instead of the bland pseudo-meats and slaw that they've been feeding us. And yeah, might as well throw in an adventure or two from Adam's prime years. I miss the helmet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the truly sad part is that our expectations for action and adventure films have been lowered to the point that producers really don't need to do much to get us to open our wallets.

That's pretty much where I am with Blue Marvel as well. I'm not asking for much, just a little bit of steak and fries, instead of the bland pseudo-meats and slaw that they've been feeding us. And yeah, might as well throw in an adventure or two from Adam's prime years. I miss the helmet.
    Bro, did you do this? The image represents a majestic rendering of Adam Brashear. Love this and the story you gave for Blue Marvel. Still holding out hope for an appearance in The Marvels movie coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Bro, did you do this? The image represents a majestic rendering of Adam Brashear. Love this and the story you gave for Blue Marvel. Still holding out hope for an appearance in The Marvels movie coming out.
    Thanks, man! Yes, this is one of my warm-up pieces for today. Still getting the hang of drawing on the iPad. Not sure that I'll ever completely give up the ol' pencil and paper, but for quick sketches it's not bad. I'm working on one of Adam's dimes at the moment -- well, at least in my Blue Marvel fanfic she's his current flame. Don't tell Monica. lol
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin