Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Guardian of Good View Post
    That was Ultimate Hulk and how long ago was that? Call me shallow but Adam during his miniseries had that Denzel Washington badass aura going for him. But ever since that miniseries he has been written as "safe" in my opinion.
    The limited really established him as a bad ass...then anytime he shows up after he is shown as weaker.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    To have feats, he'd first have to appear in comics, but it's like he and his family don't exist. Even the new Avengers series missed the opportunity to make Adrienne appear when there was trouble at Project Pegasus.

I had false hopes when Marvel's twitter posted a picture of him fighting Thor, but apparently it was just some random drawing from an artist's sketchbook.
    Its a disgrace that he has been sitting in limbo smdh.

BANNED

I know characters are MORE than just fights/power level but Jesus Christ Marvel but can the brotha Adam gets some damn FEATS! Like can be "cut loose" and punch someone?
    Adam has bitch-slapped Sentry into Earth's orbit, defeated King Hyperion in physical combat, survived a hydrogen bomb blowing up in his hands, withstood blows from the combined efforts of Ms. Marvel, Ares, Iron Man, and Wonder Man with little effort. Oh, and, let's not forget that Adam's mastery of energy manipulation would blissfully get Storm into bed
    Last edited by Micabe; 07-15-2023 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Adam has bitch-slapped Sentry into Earth's orbit, defeated King Hyperion in physical combat, and survived a hydrogen bomb blowing up in his hands, and he's withstood blows from the combined efforts of Ms. Marvel, Ares, Iron Man, and Wonder Man with little effort. Oh, and, let's not forget that Adam's mastery of energy manipulation would blissfully get Storm into bed

This post proves my point. How long ago were all of these? All the feats you lists besides the King Hyperion(still a long time ago) were back in his miniseries which was back in 2008.

Invincible Member

The problem isn't Adam having "feats"...it's a lack of interest among the fans and comics creators. It comes up every so often in this thread that the only person who wants to use him at Marvel is Al Ewing...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The problem isn't Adam having "feats"...it's a lack of interest among the fans and comics creators. It comes up every so often in this thread that the only person who wants to use him at Marvel is Al Ewing...
    This is the real issue. How hard would it be to swap Thor out on the Avengers for Adam? There is a lot of wide open territory to cover with Adam.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

BANNED

This post proves my point. How long ago were all of these? All the feats you lists besides the King Hyperion(still a long time ago) were back in his miniseries which was back in 2008.
    Adam Brashear is most likely one of the oldest and only known, stable, Human-Mutate, Antimatter manipulators in the Sol System and owes his powers and intelligence to no living being save no living being save himself and an unfortunate accident.

-- so so unless you want to see him making enemies of Demons, Beyonders, abstract/cosmic entities, and or Heralds of Galan...
    Last edited by Micabe; 07-15-2023 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Pic(s) and Link(s) added.

Ultimate Member

Adam Brashear is most likely one of the oldest and only known, stable, Human-Mutate, Antimatter manipulators in the Sol System and owes his powers and intelligence to no living being save himself and an unfortunate accident.

-- so unless you want to see him making enemies of Demons, Beyonders, abstract/cosmic entities, and or Heralds of Galan...
    If Superman and his gang can get stories.

If The Spectre can get a 60 issue run with as powerful as HE is...

If Firestorm who is just as powerful can get over 150 solo issues...

So can Blue Marvel.

How hard would it be to swap Thor out on the Avengers for Adam?
    Once again that is on fans and lets toss in comic book stores.

If he is in the book is that enough to get orders lower or the book ignored. Same issue Mighty Avengers had.

We got folks who want to read about him and we got folks who look at him (and others) as reason to NOT buy a book.

Right now it looks like the later are being pandered to.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

So can Blue Marvel.

If he is in the book is that enough to get orders lower or the book ignored. Same issue Mighty Avengers had.

We got folks who want to read about him and we got folks who look at him (and others) as reason to NOT buy a book.

I thought his books were excellent I can't imagine why Marvel would drop him... Then again has any Black character had a solo ongoing that lasted over six issues and or a year before it was unceremoniously dropped?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    This is the real issue. How hard would it be to swap Thor out on the Avengers for Adam? There is a lot of wide open territory to cover with Adam.
    The Avengers has always been a good 'ol boys club until Janet Van Dyne was given leave to join. That said, I can't see Marvel permanently swapping Blondie for Brashear.

Incredible Member

Golden Guardian of Good

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

So can Blue Marvel.

............ *sigh*

*a reminder of why i embrace and support creator owned characters.

People (we?) have been waiting on this company to do something noteworthy with this Blue Marvel since 2008.

People would be happy with something...anything...a single shining moment in 15 years.

This is insanity.

Marvel/Disney deserves virtually no financial support IMO.

Nothing.
    Don't complain. Create.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Been reading this and I think there's a few things I've been thinking about the comments...
    And I say this without condemnation or partiality.
    Its a disgrace that he has been sitting in limbo smdh.
    Sitting in limbo... Maybe. Hmph, maybe...(Adam sitting in limbo actually playing a giant game of chess with TEMPUS periodically is the type of scene that really would look great on the page) but I think he has a few problems that while maybe not *insurmountable* are probably really holding him back. One thing people aren't going to like said out loud is this Irl the issue is "Who in the industry wants to take on writing Marvels black superman"?
    First, *VERY FEW* writers have him on their radar at all, when most people think I'd love to write a marvel character, he's not going to spring to mind, much less as a benchmark of success.
    Moreover and this is a really disparaging thought to have but who really wants that smoke? The scrutiny that comes with picking up what Adam represents and is willing to roll with it? Regardless of how skilled they might be to handle task. Consumptive love is never satisfied. I remember even black authors like Coates and Ridely got their asses relentlessly kicked for their black panther runs, and that was without the agility for some jerk to say "Well its a non-black writer". Thats stiff but there is a NON-ZERO number of people who think this way, so don't get all riled up in the comments trying to refute it. A Non-zero number.

However, there's more... and this second quote brushes against it gracefully I think. The Worlds Finest problem (as told by Midnight V). Almost all the most popular writers in comics have an amazing Batman or Superman story. Even marvel heads can sit and think of 5 famous stories about them off hand.
    For years, and years, I thought why didn't they make this a Captain Atom/Shazam/Martian Manhunter/ EL DORADO story, Why didn't they make his Batman Story a Mr. Terrific Story? I literally had the thought they should commission people to write the best Bat/Sup story they could ever make then change the story in editorial to be Atom/Terrific or any one else.. but they don't then wonder why they only have the justice league. (if that).
    Logically though some of them have problems, like Mr. Terrific needing a joker, J'onzz needing well... almost everything.
    That said while you can just slot in Blue Marvel, The Sentry, .. hell probably Wonderman into any story with a *Thor* slot, there is something missing. Adam isn't mythological and he NOT Wonderman and that's BIG TIME show business. We want him to show up and pwn some people, but he's secretly a rival to Tony, not Thor. This mean... his mythos isn't going to be showing up causing problems the same way as Asgards, but it would need and it SHOULD for him to really do that outside a cameo to punch something down. He's also a guy that keeps Tony and T'challa, Reed (well the illuminati in general) and Doom up at night. So while you're right How hard is it to swap out thor for adam prolly not hard but whats needed and the problem is ironically that he IS wide open territory. The pieces are there but there would still be a lot of work to be done.

Writing Adam in someway requires somehow convincing the readers how powerful and important this guy every single time without beating them over the head with it and making him hated like others.
    but...
    You know if you look back, read this thread, and read the last thread, It may occur to you that a lot of Adams fans really don't like him. They like idea of him, but they don't like or respect him. They like the idea of him being what hes is but the fact that he stood down to save America, pisses off a lot of readers and its not just on this board. Better to say it doesn't sit right with them and I noted the most popular suggestion to "fix" Blue Marvel is to retire him and replace him with one of his offspring. So even among his fan base he's got some real sticking points they have trouble getting past, beyond him not punching enough.
    Ironically, he's all the avengers at once. He's a man out of time, with an emphasis on super-tech, and has powers of a god (without the mythos but still)... but the fact that a lot of people don't understand the patriotic responsibility of a Marine in the Korean War with 2 silver stars, becoming a super-hero, and deciding to go along with JFK speaks volumes to his problems with various peoples.
    but time has passed and I think . . . He's superman but he's more like Doctor Manhattan or BETTER!
    *kingdom come* superman. He sat and did emphasis on the word here *effectively* nothing for every major marvel event, living out his best life.
    So I offer that Adam Brashear needs to be functionally immortal (but... maybe his kids are not...) f it hasn't been implicitly spelled out in the books, because his story should be "well what's he gonna do NOW" with Earth.
    Not just off his metaphysical adventures with Uato and Tempus or anti-galactus or whatever... EARTH. Here. Like what would happen if his next team of ultimate's started doing this that disrupted the status quo on earth a little?
    Would that just make him a villian of the week for the Avengers to face or could he sit and have big table meeting and last like The Great Society etc.

TL; DR? Adam needs someone who:
    1. Is brave enough to write him
    2. LIKES him and understands what he's done to this point.
    3. Wants to spend alot of time building (and REINFORCEING his mythos) (Imagine if Zombie Adam punched his way through universes to spread the infection or is he stood with thor to fight the beyonders instead of hyperion)
    Its tough.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I support.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

The Avengers has always been a good 'ol boys club until Janet Van Dyne was given leave to join. That said, I can't see Marvel permanently swapping Blondie for Brashear.
    Janet was in Avengers #1, co-founded the team, and gave them their name.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Ultimate Member

I thought his books were excellent I can't imagine why Marvel would drop him... Then again has any Black character had a solo ongoing that lasted over six issues and or a year before it was unceremoniously dropped?
    I think Steel at DC.

He went about 6 years and we are JUST now seeing a mini (outside of Convergence) with him. A 22 year gap.

Maybe John Stewart although his run didn't last 6 years. His Green Lantern Mosaic run got axed despite selling and DC ruined that character before that Justice League cartoon saved him.

Duke Thomas has done nothing since 2021 (outside of variant covers and pinup) and he has a plot hole of having a villain for a father.

Jason Rusch was tossed away by Ronnie Raymond's creator and then by Johns in Doomsday Clock. Aside from a short story in a DC special-he has not been seen in mainstream DC for now 7 years.

I would say it's more of a DC thing than Marvel.