Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Default 15th anniversary of Brand New Day. Hooray?

If the ol' internets aren't lying, ASM #546 came out January 9th, 2008. It's been 15 years since BND. How does that make you feel, apart from very old?

Your likes, dislikes etc. are encouraged and welcome!

Без названия (1).jpg

Astonishing Member

Unscheduled Stop was the best story from it by far. It's in my top 40 Spider-Man stories. The major development of Flash Thompson losing his legs leading to Agent Venom. Those were the only positives from this period. Thank God, The Spectacular Spider-Man debuted shortly after in March. Love that show.

BANNED

At least in 2008 you still had:

-Spider-Girl with probably the best clone saga of all
    -Ultimate Spider-Man
    -An enthusiastic Slott out to prove himself
    -The Spectacular cartoon
    -The newspaper strip carrying on with the marriage
    -The Mr. and Mrs. Spider-Man shorts (which honestly should have been a full length comic)
    -JMD penned shorts expanding on things like Harry's return and Ben's lost years

We still ate pretty good back then. Too bad none of it lasted and the empire collapsed into freefall not long after.

Make no mistake, BND was the beginning of the end. I truly believe it cost us all of that because interest in Spider-Man dwindled across the board and only ever seldom recovers now and then, either through experimental gimmicks (Superior) or by flat out ignoring the last decade and repairing/rebuilding (Spencer)

The last decade has seen:

-A mainline comic on such a quality decline that in any sane world it would be a "What If"
    -Three rubbish animated series, one of which is for babies, with the only true sign of improvement in this field being the oscar-winning Into The Spider-Verse
    -Andrew Garfield's movies weren't great, they have a cult following, but let's face facts, that's a Snyderverse level niche if ever there was one
    -Tom Holland's movies, which have their own fair share of criticism as everyone comes to realise how awful the MCU truly is (No Way Home got away with it for a few months, but even it's attracted criticism since then)
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 01-12-2023 at 07:12 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post

-Ultimate Spider-Man
    -The Spectacular cartoon
    -The Mr. and Mrs. Spider-Man shorts (which honestly should have been a full length comic)

We still ate pretty good back then. Too bad none of it lasted and the empire collapsed into freefall not long after.

Make no mistake, BND was the beginning of the end. I truly believe it cost us all of that because interest in Spider-Man dwindled across the board and only ever seldom recovers now and then, either through experimental gimmicks (Superior) or by flat out ignoring the last decade and repairing/rebuilding (Spencer)

-A mainline comic on such a quality decline that in any sane world it would be a "What If"
    -Three rubbish animated series, one of which is for babies, with the only true sign of improvement in this field being the oscar-winning Into The Spider-Verse
    -Andrew Garfield's movies weren't great, they have a cult following, but let's face facts, that's a Snyderverse level niche if ever there was one
    -Tom Holland's movies, which have their own fair share of criticism as everyone comes to realise how awful the MCU truly is (No Way Home got away with it for a few months, but even it's attracted criticism since then)
    Least we’ve got the video games! Thank god for that and ITSV

It was really nice clearing away a lot of the garbage that JMS and other writers had left us and got Spider-man back to feeling young and energetic again.

I can't believe the same people who steered the Spider-Man ship 15 years ago are still steering the ship. No wonder the current run is so creatively bankrupt. Spider-Man desperately needs new blood.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Least we’ve got the video games! Thank god for that and ITSV
    Yeah, the video games are all awesome too. I've seen a few YT vids talking about how great the Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man game was. I'd also recommend Edge of Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Unscheduled Stop was the best story from it by far.
    Unscheduled stop numero uno, agreed. A tremendous gem of a story.

Off the top of my head, I remember really liking the Mr. Negative stories, Paper Doll, Molten Man, New Ways to Die, one shot about Flash, American Son, the early Kraven Clan stories, Overdrive, Sandman, Rhino, Mysterio and spoilers:
    Shed
    end of spoilers

I think, blow for blow, BND is stronger than post JRJR JMS stuff. Also the spin-offs were peak: Carnage USA babyyyyyy

With the possible exception of Unscheduled Stop, I've never really dug Mark Waid's take on Spider-Man. It's weird because I have enjoyed his work elsewhere and fully acknowledge him as one of the most significant comic creators of the last few decades. But I never really clicked with his Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post

-Ultimate Spider-Man
    -The Spectacular cartoon

This.

As bad as OMD/BND was, the "dark times" didn't begin until around 2011. That's when all the other writers dropped, Slott got full control, and any good Peter Parker content outside 616 vanished (Miles Morales is a bit different). 2011-2017 were the real dark times.

That said, things looked better between 2018-2021, minus the MCU and Disney XD cartoon. Although, even there, things ended on a positive note. The cartoon was cancelled and it looks like NWH was course-correcting for the future.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    With the possible exception of Unscheduled Stop, I've never really dug Mark Waid's take on Spider-Man. It's weird because I have enjoyed his work elsewhere and fully acknowledge him as one of the most significant comic creators of the last few decades. But I never really clicked with his Spider-Man.
    If I recall Mark Waid has always been one of the “Peter Parker is a loser” writers. A take which has always sat weird with me, because, to my mind, Peter Parker is just meant to be us.And I certainly am not a loser. Nor are the vast majority of people in the world. They may struggle and, sure sometimes, they may lose, but that doesn’t make them a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    If I recall Mark Waid has always been one of the “Peter Parker is a loser” writers. A take which has always sat weird with me, because, to my mind, Peter Parker is just meant to be us.And I certainly am not a loser. Nor are the vast majority of people in the world. They may struggle and, sure sometimes, they may lose, but that doesn’t make them a loser.
    I think some people (and I'm including myself here) expected Waid's take on Peter Parker to be like his take on Wally West. And it wasn't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    That said, things looked better between 2018-2021, minus the MCU and Disney XD cartoon. Although, even there, things ended on a positive note. The cartoon was cancelled and it looks like NWH was course-correcting for the future.
    Yeah. No Way Home I'll credit, I hate the other two Holland movies, but NWH is OMD/OMIT/BND done incredibly right, moves Peter on while also setting him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I think some people (and I'm including myself here) expected Waid's take on Peter Parker to be like his take on Wally West. And it wasn't.
    Yeah, I think Waid has admitted that he didn't quite vibe with Spider-Man.

I honestly quite enjoyed the Aztec God story. Chris Bachelo's art (while not everyone's cup of tea) was at it's peak (imo) I loved the team up with Wolverine and Spider-man calling him out that he allows himself to get hurt so he has an excuse to butcher his enemies. It was also the first and last time I found the Carlie Cooper character interesting.

Paper Doll was a pretty creepy villain, thanks to Marcos Martin's unique style of art. Her obsession with that actor Bobby Carr made her unfortunately kind of one note. (Has she appeared in any other books since then? "Spider-man Family" maybe?) Maybe she could be sprung from jail and trained as an assassin by the Maggia or something. Teases about Mephisto (the book MJ was reading) unfortunately amounted to nothing.

I enjoyed "New Ways to Die" as it was being released. I wanted to see Spidey face off against Osborn's Thunderbolts, (particularly Bullseye) so that was fun. Unfortunately, I don't think anything actually significant came about from the series, and I do not remember what Norman's goal was or even how Spidey thwarted it. First appearance of Anti-Venom, which is probably the first time I noticed Dan Slott quickly tossing in random side plots that probably should be developed in their own story proper.

I also thought Guggenheim's Flash Thompson story was excellent, although it loses some of it's punch when Flash gained magic alien symbiote legs and became a superhero.

I disliked every appearance of "Freak," Menace had some potential but ultimately was just poor attempt at capturing the magic of Stern's mystery of the Hobgoblin (partially due to the constant "changing of the guards" where as Stern would still have Peter's desire to unmask the Hobgoblin weighing on his mind, and Hobby would still be shown scheming even when the A plot was focused on a different villainous the month.) I wa more involved in the Jackpot mystery, and while I hate the idea of Mary Jane: Superhero, I would have rather that then the reveal of some random girl who just happens to look exactly like her and use her catchphrase. Didn't like Overdrive, but he become somewhat more appealing in "Superior Foes."
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"