Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Only reason the fans aren't undoing OMD is because they don't have the power. Spider-Man isn't a public domain character yet and attempts to undo OMD within Marvel (like Spencer's) were shut down.

It's a fallacious argument. That's like saying the BLM protesters are whining and not being proactive against fighting police brutality, simply because police brutality rates haven't gone down in years.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 01-22-2023 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i always wanted them to kill of Gwen in the third film
    They shouldn't have used Gwen at all. They should have cast Stone as MJ. I know they wanted to differentiate themselves from the Raimi films, but going the Gwen route ultimately caused the end of those movies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    They shouldn't have used Gwen at all. They should have cast Stone as MJ. I know they wanted to differentiate themselves from the Raimi films, but going the Gwen route ultimately caused the end of those movies.
    I think the 'meh' writing and lack of a vision caused the end of those movies. Gwen and the relationship stuff was one of the only things that was praised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I think the 'meh' writing and lack of a vision caused the end of those movies. Gwen and the relationship stuff was one of the only things that was praised.
    Do you think people wouldn't have loved Stone's MJ?

Astonishing Member

Only reason the fans aren't undoing OMD is because they don't have the power. Spider-Man isn't a public domain character yet and attempts to undo OMD within Marvel (like Spencer's) were shut down.

It's a fallacious argument. That's like saying the BLM protesters are whining and not being proactive against fighting police brutality, simply because police brutality rates haven't gone down in years.
    We're talking about a comic book super-hero, not systemic racism and the murder of black Americans. This is a tacky comparison. Whining about a super-hero's marital status isn't fighting for social justice. Gain some perspective.

Astonishing Member

Do you think people wouldn't have loved Stone's MJ?
    I do, but I don't see the connection between using Gwen and those movies failing.

The problems with how the TASM films turned out run deep and have to do with corporate incompetence on Sony's part.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Whining about a super-hero's marital status isn't fighting for social justice
    It's a fight for moral justice. Selling out a bond blessed by God is a horrible thing to teach children, whether you're of religious background or not, giving in to evil is immoral.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    We're talking about a comic book super-hero, not systemic racism and the murder of black Americans. This is a tacky comparison. Whining about a super-hero's marital status isn't fighting for social justice. Gain some perspective.
    People make political metaphors all the time when dissecting arguments. People compared Snyder's movies to Fascism. Does that mean they literally think Snyder is a Fascist? No.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    It's a fight for moral justice.
    No, it's hyperbolic whining about not liking a comic anymore.

It's not comparable to any fight for anything that actually matters in the real world.

Mighty Member

I disagree that they couldn't have used Gwen. But I think the problem was in the way in which they used Gwen.

It was a mistake to cast Stone as "girlfriend that dies." Gwen or not. The fact that Stone and the relationship chemistry was one of the few things that was praised is precisely the point. Killing that effectively killed whatever future that franchise could have had because their box-office draw was gone
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 01-22-2023 at 12:58 PM.

I do, but I don't see the connection between using Gwen and those movies failing.

The problems with how the TASM films turned out run deep and have to do with corporate incompetence on Sony's part.
    The Peter x Gwen romance were the only things people liked about those movies due to Garfield and Stone. Those movies were building up to Gwen's death. If Stone were MJ, those movies would have been completely different. We don't know what would have become of those movies if Stone had played MJ, but we know they died with her playing Gwen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    I disagree that they couldn't have used Gwen. But I think the problem was in the way in which they used Gwen.

It was a mistake to cast Stone as "girlfriend that dies." Gwen or not. The fact that Stone and the relationship chemistry was one of the few things that was praised is precisely the point. Killing that effectively killed whatever future that franchise could have had because their box-office draw was gone
    The Peter x Gwen romance were the only things people liked about those movies due to Garfield and Stone. Those movies were building up to Gwen's death. If Stone were MJ, those movies would have been completely different. We don't know what would have become of those movies if Stone had played MJ, but we know they died with her playing Gwen.
    It wouldn't have been a problem if they cast someone as MJ who could match Stone. Off the top of my head, someone like Margot Robbie as MJ could have matched her. She just got big around that time, and her schedule was pretty free before Harley Quinn. As for who could play MJ now if TASM3 happens, I see big names like Zoe Kravitz brought up.

The fact there is a decent amount of speculation surrounding a Raimi Spider-Man 4 and TASM 3 shows, in my opinion, that both have some decent box office draws going for it if they were to happen.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 01-22-2023 at 01:09 PM.

It wouldn't have been a problem if they cast someone as MJ who could match Stone. Off the top of my head, someone like Margot Robbie as MJ could have matched her. She just got big around that time and her schedule was pretty free before Harley Quinn. As for who could play MJ now if TASM3 happens, I see names like Zoe Kravitz brought up.

The fact there is a decent amount of speculation surrounding a Raimi Spider-Man 4 and TASM 3 shows, in my opinion, that both have some decent box office draws going for it if they were to happen.
    We aren't going to get Maguire-Man 4 or Garfield-Man 3.

That wasn't the discussion anyway. The discussion revolved around the ASM movies destroying their own franchise because those films revolved around the Death of Gwen Stacy. If Stone had played MJ, those films may not have died.

Mighty Member

Margot Robbie was also my top choice at the time. And that was well before she blew up as Harley Quinn. They hedged their bets with Shailene Woodley who I honestly haven't seen or heard of in anything major since the Divergent series.

But even bringing in another big name popular actress doesn't guarantee that the chemistry between her and Garfield would work or match up to Stone's. They captured lightning in a bottle with that combo and needed to hold on to it.

Astonishing Member

We aren't going to get Maguire-Man 4 or Garfield-Man 3.
    I don't expect them, but I wouldn't be surprised either. Not after NWH.

That wasn't the discussion anyway. The discussion revolved around the ASM movies destroying their own franchise because those films revolved around the Death of Gwen Stacy. If Stone had played MJ, those films may not have died.
    If they could have cast an actress as MJ who can match Stone in charisma and box office draw, it's a point that's absolutely related to this discussion, because it means you could/could have made a sequel.