Default John Wick vs Bang Ui Gang (The Killer 2022)

John Wick vs the protagonist of the 2022 film The Killer

1) Hand to Hand Combat
    2) Knives for Both
    3) Pistols for Both, starting out with both of them back to back with pistols in their holsters

Feats for Bang

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Seems close but I think John takes this simply because of a larger onscreen body count.

Extraordinary Member

The Gang guy does seem more agile and better at hand to hand.

Bang Ui Gang is impressive but its important to remember the events of John Wick 1-3 happen in the space of a week.

Wick is carrying some serious damage by movie three, but it barely impedes him against world class opponents. He's also been out of the game 5 years at the start of the movie but still outclasses basically everyone. He gets shot, beat up, hit by vehicles and just motors on. His soak is almost as good as Rama's from Raid Redemption.

I think an unwounded Wick is going to take it all three rounds against Bang, no disrespect intended to him. Baba Yaga(Ha that mistake is hilarious) is just on another level for peak human cinema badass.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Nice.

Fight scene is better than 99% of Hollywood's stuff. Still see wild swipes with knives and haymakers, but there's a whole lot of good controlled stuff in there as well. ^_^ And really, I figure some wild stuff is needed in fight scenes, just to 'cue' the other actor.

If Man From Nowhere's final fight didn't have that confusing 'point of view' camera in the middle of the last knife fight, I'd rate it as flat-out the best I've ever seen. The knife fight between the protagonist and the assassin is fantastic...and properly short. And focuses a lot on 'try to control the other guy's knife', which is...important. Edit: I guess warning, very much violent.

Sadly, I cannot comment on the Rumble, as I barely recall Wick's stuff and only saw the first movie to boot.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-18-2023 at 10:53 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    Bang Ui Gang is impressive but its important to remember the events of John Wick 1-3 happen in the space of a week.

Wick is carrying some serious damage by movie three, but it barely impedes him against world class opponents. He's also been out of the game 5 years at the start of the movie but still outclasses basically everyone. He gets shot, beat up, hit by vehicles and just motors on. His soak is almost as good as Rama's from Raid Redemption.

I think an unwounded Wick is going to take it all three rounds against Bang, no disrespect intended to him. Baba Yaga(Ha that mistake is hilarious) is just on another level for peak human cinema badass.
    I do think Bang has a bit more skill iirc and we never really see him hit his limit in terms of getting tired out I think but I agree that Wick has the "keeps going" thing for him. I suppose that's the thing that separates these street level martial artists from each other, like with Bourne for example

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Nice.

Fight scene is better than 99% of Hollywood's stuff. Still see wild swipes with knives and haymakers, but there's a whole lot of good controlled stuff in there as well. ^_^ And really, I figure some wild stuff is needed in fight scenes, just to 'cue' the other actor.

If Man From Nowhere's final fight didn't have that confusing 'point of view' camera in the middle of the last knife fight, I'd rate it as flat-out the best I've ever seen. The knife fight between the protagonist and the assassin is fantastic...and properly short. And focuses a lot on 'try to control the other guy's knife', which is...important. Edit: I guess warning, very much violent.

Sadly, I cannot comment on the Rumble, as I barely recall Wick's stuff and only saw the first movie to boot.
    Yeah, it's a pretty neat little movie; the protagonist is cool as a cucumber in it as mentioned in the Downtown thread.

I should rewatch Man From Nowhere at some point since I don't remember it much; this movie actually directly references that movie for a fun line.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I do think Bang has a bit more skill iirc and we never really see him hit his limit in terms of getting tired out I think but I agree that Wick has the "keeps going" thing for him. I suppose that's the thing that separates these street level martial artists from each other, like with Bourne for example.
    Seeing as so many of them display martial arts on roughly the same level and kill crap-tons of people effortlessly, durability/soak and stamina do seem like they would play a strong role.

Yeah, it's a pretty neat little movie; the protagonist is cool as a cucumber in it as mentioned in the Downtown thread.
    Sadly it's not on my Netflix.

I should rewatch Man From Nowhere at some point since I don't remember it much; this movie actually directly references that movie for a fun line.
    It's certainly an interesting movie (I have the DVD kicking around somewhere). There's a reference to it in The Killer? Cool.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Just watched Man from Nowhere. Pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Just watched Man from Nowhere. Pretty good.
    Good stuff. Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm still going back and watching the flurry at 2:40 in the video I linked. One take, goes on for many seconds with a lot of exchanges, and is far more fluid and realistic than anything I've...like, ever seen out of Hollywood for knife fighting. Sound effects a little annoying, but whatever. ^_^
    Why are we here?