Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spurrier interview on 'Nightcrawlers' & #1 Preview Art

Art looks really good on this. Can't wait to get these in the mail, if nothing else this event is going to be beautiful visually.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Sweet, thanks for posting! A lot of info nuggets being released today.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

About the Nightcrawler assassins:

"...Standard mission: BAMF in, murder everything that moves, BAMF back out. Repeat.

In practice, it's been a tad more challenging than that for poor old Sinny. Thanks to some magical kinks in the pipe, Nightcrawler's genestrain has been unavailable for Mr. S's enthusiastic attentions. Whenever he's tried to use it, it's resulted in some painfully grotesque abominations. Which, him being him, is actually quite funny. But also – him being him – got boring fast.

Only now, something has changed. Suddenly the Wagner Strain is available for him to seriously muck around with, and his first batch of creations – the Legion of the Night – are still shiny and new as we come into the story.

But there's a problem. They have a flaw. One Sinister couldn't understand in a million years."
    Last edited by JB; 01-13-2023 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    But there's a problem. They have a flaw. One Sinister couldn't understand in a million years."
    The "flaw" is that they have an instinctual desire to obey and worship only Hellion.

YEAR X100, THE YEAR OF HELLION LET'S GO
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Sins of Sinister has a unique structure, in that each issue of each of these series is taking place in a different era, with one artist assigned to each era rather than each series. What are the challenges and opportunities that come with it?

I think that whole thing is such an incredible selling point for this event, and I love yelling about it. Honestly, when we pitched the idea to Jordan I didn't think we had a hope in hell of persuading the higher-ups: the logistics are a nightmare. But it got people grinning and sometimes that's all it takes.

The challenges are exactly what you'd expect. The lead times get exceptionally tricky because (for instance) the artist on the first 3 issues – all of which drop within one month, has to be wrapped way earlier than if he or she were drawing issues which dropped over consecutive months. That front-loading quickly trickles back up the pipe to the writers: we all had to write things completely out of sequence so that (eg) the artist on the third wave of issues could be getting started at the same time as the artist on the first wave. Brainsplode? Brainsplode.

…all of which, given the hilarious level of interconnectivity and recursiveness of this event, meant insane amounts of discussing, checking, doublechecking, tweaking, retweaking… It was a little like building a house where each bricklayer has to start at a different level, often before the layer below had been laid.

Dizzyingly complex.

The result, mind you, is glorious. It doesn't feel overly complex. It eases from one phase into another, like the best hard sci-fi, cantering between big concepts and small, intimate moments.

Each of the three books has its own voice, each of the three time periods has its own energy, so what you get is a smorgasbord of completely unique individual mosaics which collectively form this wild, swashbuckling, funny, sad, silly, serious and completely wonderful story.

It's the most COMICS!!! thing I've ever done.
    This last answer really sums up my thoughts on the event. I just think the whole way they're doing the three series and the one-artist-per-era rocks. It's neat! It's fun and experimental and really different for comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    This last answer really sums up my thoughts on the event. I just think the whole way they're doing the three series and the one-artist-per-era rocks. It's neat! It's fun and experimental and really different for comics.
    Yeah i love the idea of it too. It should make it feel very consistent and collect very well to just be able to visually know what time period your in across the board.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

I agree. It's like three completely different acts of a movie and each act has its own feel and flavor but still connected to the whole.

It's interesting that the "magical monsterization of mutants... has left entire genestrains useless to Mr. Sinister." In a way it sounds like Nightcrawler becoming that big monster is a wrench in Sinny's plans.

For instance, the first issue – 10 years into the future – is about the ultimate futility of authoritarianism. The tendency for control to eat itself. It's about the oh-so-human realization that when the jackboots are empty and the dictators are out of ideas, what rises to reclaim the light is the wild spark of humanity. Kindness. And big ideas. (The problem is: that last one can get you in trouble. As we shall see...)

The second issue – 100 years into the future – is about identity and meaning. It's about a group of people who've shackled themselves to one Big Idea, starting to worry that it might be the wrong one. It's about parenthood and legacy, and stealing magical shit from the most powerful beings in the universe. It's about ritual and love. Above all, it's about saying "why?" to power.

The third issue – 1000 years into the future – is the dominion of the Ugly Idea. The subjugation of identity behind the all-consuming need to belong, to perform, to walk unthinkingly in the same direction as everyone else. The defeat of individuality. And, if I've done my job right… the last glimmer of hope.

If it's references you want, there's a lot of A Canticle For Leibowitz here.

It's essentially the story of a religion being created and fostered over the course of a 1000 years – getting uglier and stupider and more exploitative at every step. Up until the point that someone says, "No."
    But there's a problem. They have a flaw. One Sinister couldn't understand in a million years.
    Two quotes that, together, reminded me of something from Powers of X #1:

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 3.47.00 PM.jpg

Two quotes that, together, reminded me of something from Powers of X #1:

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 3.47.00 PM.jpg
    Cardinal...

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Cardinal...

This makes me think the most efficient way to do this would have just been for Sinister to introduce different genetic samples into the dna databases he was using and those resurrected more ended up changing more or rather his test resurrection subjects like nightcrawler. Any potential gaps in the genetic makeup working would have most likely been subsconiously fixed by the five who were already subconsciously enhancing reborn mutants.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

It's a great interview and I'm looking forward to it.

This preview has me excited, I've been keen to see what's up with Chimeras since they were teased in House/Powers of X.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Incredible Member

I like his interviews, they always give an insight into what he's trying to achieve.

Thanks to some magical kinks in the pipe, Nightcrawler's genestrain has been unavailable for Mr. S's enthusiastic attentions. Whenever he's tried to use it, it's resulted in some painfully grotesque abominations.

I wonder why he couldn’t use Kurt’s gene’s for so long. All the other mutants who went through Margali’s transformation are unusable but suddenly Kurt’s gene is okay? Even though he’s still mutated? Poor Kurt and the Doc….and whoever is in the giant Hampster feeder.

Since this story is based on the novel: A Canticle For Leibowitz, are they going to refer to a canticle for Talia here?
    Last edited by Proxy; 01-13-2023 at 05:10 PM.