Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She never really looked Caucasion to me on a account of the orange skin.
    Previous to this, Starfire always had a very Caucasian nose, the same way many artists in the past simply drew Storm as a white lady, but colored her African American, so this is hardly a new phenomenon.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Yeah, but that was before the Bat Family started their annual tradition of beating him up.

Bruce, Dick, Damian, Cass and Steph kicked his ass (and Wally for good mesure).
    I recall The Flash bit since it happened in the book (which I thought was great, btw), but Dick, Damian, Cass, and Steph have each beat him individually since the fight where Bruce confronted him in that snowy cabin in Russia? Cass and Dick I can see defeating him, but Damian and Steph, not so much. Steph defeating him reeks of Dixon-style shenanigans considering he created Steph and always hated The KGBeast regardless of how skilled he was supposed to be.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I recall The Flash bit since it happened in the book (which I thought was great, btw), but Dick, Damian, Cass, and Steph have each beat him individually since the fight where Bruce confronted him in that snowy cabin in Russia? Cass and Dick I can see defeating him, but Damian and Steph, not so much. Steph defeating him reeks of Dixon-style shenanigans considering he created Steph and always hated The KGBeast regardless of how skilled he was supposed to be.
    Cass and Steph defeated him together in Batgirl, but Damian defeated him alone, even with the Teen Titans trying to stop him.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Previous to this, Starfire always had a very Caucasian nose, the same way many artists in the past simply drew Storm as a white lady, but colored her African American, so this is hardly a new phenomenon.
    I've never really noticed noses before .

Though on a general basis I don't think people see Starfire as Caucasian.
    I don't see why Cass and Dick can do it but Damian can't. Damian is at least close to Dick's level.

Extraordinary Member

I've never really noticed noses before .

Though on a general basis I don't think people see Starfire as Caucasian.
    If this were true, there wouldn't've been such an uproar when they cast a black woman to portray her.

I don't see why Cass and Dick can do it but Damian can't. Damian is at least close to Dick's level.
    Not disciplined enough. By comparison, KGBeast is probably comparable to Bruce & Dick, but Damian is just too arrogant and hot headed.

Extraordinary Member

Cass and Steph defeated him together in Batgirl...
    This I can see, although I really don't think Cass needs Steph's help taking out the Beast.

...but Damian defeated him alone, even with the Teen Titans trying to stop him.
    I have a harder time with this one. But then again, I've always thought Damian's always been ridiculously overpowered/skilled.

This I can see, although I really don't think Cass needs Steph's help taking out the Beast.

I have a harder time with this one. But then again, I've always thought Damian's always been ridiculously overpowered/skilled.
    He's a Marty Stu in my opinion in that aspect.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    He's a Marty Stu in my opinion in that aspect.
    He really is. And it's kind of ridiculous that he doesn't get called out on it more often.

If this were true, there wouldn't've been such an uproar when they cast a black woman to portray her.
    Well, just from a personal perspective I see Starfire as more of a Gamora type character, but they obviously didn't have the budget or the time to pull that off on a streaming show like how Brainiac 5 couldn't even be green most of the time on Supergirl.
    Not disciplined enough. By comparison, KGBeast is probably comparable to Bruce & Dick, but Damian is just too arrogant and hot headed.
    Damian can be pretty disciplined and focused when he needs to be, though, this isn't like fresh into the Robin Damian suit either and he had a specific and effective goal in mind.
    When you're partners, you work together .
    It's kind of the point of Damian as Robin. He has all the training and skills of Batman at a younger age but also being raised by assassins.

Extraordinary Member

She never really looked Caucasion to me on a account of the orange skin.

I mean, I think if you read JL you can get an understanding of JL level threats.
    I don’t see them as any different then the titans ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Most villains wouldn't know that. A lot of them just think Superman is at his secret base (the Fortress of Solitude), when he's not out being hero, they may not even know he HAS a secret identity. They'd only know he lives in Metropolis if they know he's Clark Kent. I.E. Lex Luthor.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

There is literally always an uproar whenever a poc actors gets casted for a character

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I thought the problem was the actress didn't want to be painted orange. Gamora is played a black woman and no one cares.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I thought the problem was the actress didn't want to be painted orange. Gamora is played a black woman and no one cares.
    I don't know if Anna Diop commented as such but I assumed it was for practical TV reasons.

Extraordinary Member

Well, just from a personal perspective I see Starfire as more of a Gamora type character, but they obviously didn't have the budget or the time to pull that off on a streaming show like how Brainiac 5 couldn't even be green most of the time on Supergirl.
    All of that is accurate. But I'm not sure what that has to do with the uproar over a black woman being cast as an alien character that has always been depicted with Caucasian features.

Damian can be pretty disciplined and focused when he needs to be, though, this isn't like fresh into the Robin Damian suit either and he had a specific and effective goal in mind.
    I don't doubt it. But like I said, this is a guy that Bats had to use his grappling gun against in a last ditch desperate move. I've never doubted that Damien's good (although I credit most of that being depicted as a Marty Stu as someone pointed out earlier).

When you're partners, you work together .
    Not arguing that at all. I'm just saying that Cass really didn't need the help.

It's kind of the point of Damian as Robin. He has all the training and skills of Batman at a younger age but also being raised by assassins.
    See the earlier comments regarding him as a Marty Stu.

All of that is accurate. But I'm not sure what that has to do with the uproar over a black woman being cast as an alien character that has always been depicted with Caucasian features.
    I didn't have an issue with Anna Diop's casting but I never thought of her as either Caucasion or black.
    I don't doubt it. But like I said, this is a guy that Bats had to use his grappling gun against in a last ditch desperate move. I've never doubted that Damien's good (although I credit most of that being depicted as a Marty Stu as someone pointed out earlier).
    Outside of maybe that issue in King's run where he and Batman basically beat each other to death no one really treats him as that dangerous any more.
    Not arguing that at all. I'm just saying that Cass really didn't need the help.
    I'd have to read it myself, though I'm sure Steph can provide at least something.
    See the earlier comments regarding him as a Marty Stu.
    I don't really see him that way since he does lose and gets beat up frequently, he just has a very high barometer of skill in contrast to his personality issues (which prevents him from being a marty stu in my opinion).

I don't see it that differently from Cass's capabilities.