Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    How many things on this list happened in the last few years? With the exception of Robin War, all of them. Historically, he's been a Marty Stu.

I did enjoy his last series, aside from the Shadow War crossover though.
    To be fair, the character was mostly restricted to Batman and Robin and Batman Inc before his death but even before that I remember him losing to Red Hood's Robin, getting kicked off the Teen Titans pre-Flashpoint cuz he was an asshole and dying in Batman Inc. in New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    People typically use the term Marty Stu (or Mary Sue) to say "a character I don't like".

Damian is not a Marty Stu. His character flaws are very evident.
    People need to go read up the fanfic that started the term "Mary Sue" to remember how the term is used.
    "Cable was right!"

Not too long ago Red Hood beat the crap out of him too.
    I don't know where people are seeing that he doesn't lose or is overpowered.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I feel like its in part more of an adaptation thing.

Like the DC animated movies starting from Son of Batman arguably made him more I guess "Marty Stu-ish" such as in Son of Batman where things were changed up to make him look better such as defeating Deathstroke in one to one combat or Batman vs Robin where Dick's Talon storyline got uprooted onto Damian.

And just generally receiving excessive focus at the expense of other characters and a bizarre romance with Raven.
    Admittedly even in Son of Batman we had Dick beating him in a fight when they first met.

Extraordinary Member

Like the DC animated movies starting from Son of Batman arguably made him more I guess "Marty Stu-ish" such as in Son of Batman where things were changed up to make him look better such as defeating Deathstroke in one to one combat...
    Yeah, that was ridiculous.

And just generally receiving excessive focus at the expense of other characters...
    Yeah, this happened a lot, which is just one of the reasons I could never get into any of the shared universe animated movies that came out at that time. Like, he legit had no business in Judas Contract. At all.

...and a bizarre romance with Raven.
    I literally rolled my eyes at that one. I'm surprised they didn't have him steal Starfire away from Dick to put him on an even more ridiculous pedestal, FFS.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Honestly I don't see what's so wrong about Damian and Raven. They have a lot in common. It's better than what she and Wally had in the comics .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly I don't see what's so wrong about Damian and Raven. They have a lot in common. It's better than what she and Wally had in the comics .
    Mid level mind control…. Lol. Or do you Wallace “ace West cuz yeah that felt forced weird and cringey
    I don’t like him and Red arrow together much either

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Mid level mind control…. Lol. Or do you Wallace “ace West cuz yeah that felt forced weird and cringey
    I don’t like him and Red arrow together much either
    Wallace and Emiko was fine to me. I didn't immediately dislike him and Raven together either but it's obvious it was trying to ape her and Wally.

I know she changes ages a lot, but Raven is probably in her late teens while Damien was 12 at the time. She *should* be in her mid 20's like the rest of the Titans though.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I know she changes ages a lot, but Raven is probably in her late teens while Damien was 12 at the time. She *should* be in her mid 20's like the rest of the Titans though.
    In the context of the animated movies where they were a couple they were closer in age.

Incredible Member

It's chronologically absurd. They can retcon ages all they want but Raven has to be in her mid-20s at an absolute bare minimum, and regardless, the generation gap is just too jarring. It's like when they tried to pair Vicki Vale up with Dick in the Nightwing comic awhile back. Just stupid and bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    It's chronologically absurd. They can retcon ages all they want but Raven has to be in her mid-20s at an absolute bare minimum, and regardless, the generation gap is just too jarring. It's like when they tried to pair Vicki Vale up with Dick in the Nightwing comic awhile back. Just stupid and bizarre.
    ...It was in a media adaption where they were closer in age?

Although to be honest this does make me wonder about the age gap between her and Beast Boy now.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post

I literally rolled my eyes at that one. I'm surprised they didn't have him steal Starfire away from Dick to put him on an even more ridiculous pedestal, FFS.
    Nah they already gave the stealing Dick's girl thing to Tim Drake. Tim's dated Babs and then DC v vampires also hinted at Tim and Star.

Not sure how dating Raven puts anyone on a pedestal though. Did Raven falling for Wallace put him on a pedestal? Did Raven falling for Bb put him on a pedestal?

Wallace and Emiko was fine to me. I didn't immediately dislike him and Raven together either but it's obvious it was trying to ape her and Wally.
    I liked Wallace and Raven. Wish that was explored more.

Like the DC animated movies starting from Son of Batman arguably made him more I guess "Marty Stu-ish" such as in Son of Batman where things were changed up to make him look better such as defeating Deathstroke in one to one combat or Batman vs Robin where Dick's Talon storyline got uprooted onto Damian.

And just generally receiving excessive focus at the expense of other characters and a bizarre romance with Raven.
    Damian got his arse handed to him in those movies too though. more importantly the people here were talking about the comic books. They even specified that and that is simply not true.

Even in the movies he was beaten by Dick, Talon, Jamie, Raven and more. It's like people are recalling a preferred version of the facts. Wins aside his flaws are still very evident in those movies and he was proven wrong a bunch of times. Two movies were premised on Damian being wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Nah they already gave the stealing Dick's girl thing to Tim Drake. Tim's dated Babs and then DC v vampires also hinted at Tim and Star.

Not sure how dating Raven puts anyone on a pedestal though. Did Raven falling for Wallace put him on a pedestal? Did Raven falling for Bb put him on a pedestal?
    I think that's less of a Tim problem and more of a "Babs should date all the Robins" problem.