Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Nightwing's New Justice League(?) questions

At the end of DARK CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS #7 : DAWN OF THE DCU, Batman tells Nightwing: "After all we've been through, the League felt we needed time to rethink the Justice League. It needs more than new members. It needs to find a new mission. A new legacy." "But if anyone is going to lead us all into the future...it's going to be you. (Nightwing)" Nightwing says that's a lot to think about but he has some ideas.
    So...is Nightwing going to be the new leader of the Justice League? You know, again? lol He's done it twice before, yes?
    If so, what will be this new mission statement?
    Who will be the new members?
    Or is this just alluding to him making another Titans team with the "usual suspects"? Exp: Donna Troy,Roy Harper,etc.?
    I'm sure the League- in whatever form will be fighting those certain characters at the end of the book. (I didn't want to spoil that)
    Anyway, looking forward to the replies! Thanks!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm not sure that this team could be successful in the long run. As Brian stated, Nightwing has lead the Justice League twice before and the 2nd time, Donna, Jesse Quick, and Supergirl were along for the ride which made the roster seem very Titans-esque. Neither time did the book last more than a few years without DC needing to bring back the big guns.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Unpopular Opinion: The League's static membership being defined by "DC's greatest heroes" is simultaneously a blessing and a curse.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    At the end of DARK CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS #7 : DAWN OF THE DCU, Batman tells Nightwing: "After all we've been through, the League felt we needed time to rethink the Justice League. It needs more than new members. It needs to find a new mission. A new legacy." "But if anyone is going to lead us all into the future...it's going to be you. (Nightwing)" Nightwing says that's a lot to think about but he has some ideas.
    So...is Nightwing going to be the new leader of the Justice League? You know, again? lol He's done it twice before, yes?
    If so, what will be this new mission statement?
    Who will be the new members?
    Or is this just alluding to him making another Titans team with the "usual suspects"? Exp: Donna Troy,Roy Harper,etc.?
    I'm sure the League- in whatever form will be fighting those certain characters at the end of the book. (I didn't want to spoil that)
    Anyway, looking forward to the replies! Thanks!
    I assume Nightwing's new JL will be Titans plus a few other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Unpopular Opinion: The League's static membership being defined by "DC's greatest heroes" is simultaneously a blessing and a curse.
    It shouldn't be. The Avengers are called Earth's Mightiest Heroes, when they're really not (Captain Marvel and Thor probably qualify, but not Black Panther, Captain America, or Hawkeye). The Justice League have a similar nickname - World's Greatest Heroes, right? But again, Black Canary, Green Arrow, Batman. Low level or no powers. Definitely not as powerful as certain Titans (Starfire, Raven, Superboy). Those nicknames are nothing more than marketing.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-15-2023 at 06:40 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

^^^It is, in that fans rarely give any non-Big 7 line up a chance.
    There are exceptions of course but, it’s a hard sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm not sure that this team could be successful in the long run. As Brian stated, Nightwing has lead the Justice League twice before and the 2nd time, Donna, Jesse Quick, and Supergirl were along for the ride which made the roster seem very Titans-esque. Neither time did the book last more than a few years without DC needing to bring back the big guns.
    He lead the team for a arc in the first time and then he was Batman the second time. and the book ended with Flashpoint.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member

Right the Robinson Justice League with DickBats was just buying time for the reboot. It wasn't cancelled because of sales, but rather DC rebooted.

Is that a unpopular opinion? I thought it was practically common wisdom?

The League really is sort of trapped by the Big 7, who are themselves somewhat contained by it. I don't think that's a bad thing, necessarily. The JSA wouldn't feel like the JSA without Allan, Jay, and Ted right? Even though they weren't always the core of that team, they're seen as such now and it's unlikely to change anytime soon. Likewise, the League is seen as the Big 7 and anything else is perceived as illegitimate these days.

The solution seems pretty obvious to me though. Don't put Dick in charge of a new League. We went from the Justice Society to the Justice League. Just have Dick take us to the Justice....whatever. I favor Justice Legion, myself, but whatever name continues the "Justice" evolution is fine. That sorta thing has been half-assed tried before, but right now, done smart, DC has a chance to make it work and make it stick.

Then you're left with the notion that the League is seen as the alpha level team, and "tomorrow's greatest heroes....today!" isn't going to supplant that. But again, the solution seems pretty straight forward right? If readers won't accept the idea that the League isn't the end-all, be-all, only place for the best of the best to hang....then level them up to the point they're beyond the metric. League's been cosmic far more than they've been anything else for a while now, just make it official. When the League go on missions, they're usually off-world somewhere. The universe's greatest heroes, exploring the Source Wall or the 64th century or stopping the Khund/Dominator War. Dick's new Justice Legion (or whatever name) step up to fill the void; earth's greatest heroes. But of course, threats to earth come from all kinds of places so trips through space/time, whatever, are gonna be plenty common too. But you can "trick" the reader into accepting Dick's team as the world's greatest heroes just by saying the League are bigger than the world....despite there being no real, functional difference in their stories. And before you know it, people have gotten used to the idea that when earth is under fire, it's Nightwing leading the charge. Not because he's better than Batman, fans wouldn't believe that, but because Batman's ascended out of the discussion.

All that, or just limit the League to miniseries and Events while Dick's new team carries the Justice ongoing.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-15-2023 at 10:41 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

The problem with the JL is that it is the ultimate weapon on Earth, that's why seeing a team without Superman, Batman, WW, you don't believe it, the threat isn't that big if those 3 aren't fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    The problem with the JL is that it is the ultimate weapon on Earth, that's why seeing a team without Superman, Batman, WW, you don't believe it, the threat isn't that big if those 3 aren't fighting.
    ^^^I can see that.
    Its hard to to get fans to accept a non Trinity team.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The solution seems pretty obvious to me though. Don't put Dick in charge of a new League. We went from the Justice Society to the Justice League. Just have Dick take us to the Justice....whatever. I favor Justice Legion, myself, but whatever name continues the "Justice" evolution is fine. That sorta thing has been half-assed tried before, but right now, done smart, DC has a chance to make it work and make it stick.
    Now my fever-brain has gone off on a wild tangent to come up with names;

Justice Legion
    Justice Friends
    Justice Titans
    Justice Battalion
    Justice Fellowship
    Justice Overwatch
    Justice Executive
    Justice Company

and then the really silly ones;
    Global Justice
    Team Justice
    Teen Justice
    Secret Justice
    Extreme! Justice

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Now my fever-brain has gone off on a wild tangent to come up with names;

Justice Legion
    Justice Friends
    Justice Titans
    Justice Battalion
    Justice Fellowship
    Justice Overwatch
    Justice Executive
    Justice Company

and then the really silly ones;
    Global Justice
    Team Justice
    Teen Justice
    Secret Justice
    Extreme! Justice
    The rumored 5G Justice Alliance was not a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    The rumored 5G Justice Alliance was not a bad name.
    But now it's intrinsically linked to 5G and thus tainted. You don't validate bad ideas like 5G by cherry-picking parts of it and saying "Let's use this and hope everybody forgets where we got it from."

Mighty Member

But now it's intrinsically linked to 5G and thus tainted. You don't validate bad ideas like 5G by cherry-picking parts of it and saying "Let's use this and hope everybody forgets where we got it from."
    No one but a few of us who pay close attention to this will know the connections between the name Justice Alliance and 5G, most comic readers don't even know what 5G is.

I'll bet more people associate 5G with the Coronavirus and microchip conspiracies than a line that DC didn't launch
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 01-15-2023 at 03:11 PM.