Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh yeah, I forget about that Titans show.

It'd be funny if DC was trying to synergize with that show, after it's been on for several seasons (4? 5?) and just got cancelled.

Can't say I'm surprised the League's return was announced so soon. Probably the smart move. A lot of folks might be excited to see the NTT step up, but I doubt anyone really expected it to last and maybe some JLA fans were even a little pissed about the idea of these characters, maligned for so long, being presumptuous enough to think they could fill the League's boots. Letting fans know the League is definitely returning sooner rather than later might encourage them to enjoy the ride while it lasts, rather than bitch about how Beast Boy is not and shouldn't be League worthy.
    Cancelled,huh? Oh,well. As for Beast Boy? Did anyone mention Yazz!? LOL Let's not kid ourselves. there have been plenty of questionable members.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reddead View Post
    "The Return of the Justice League" seems like a misdirection to me. I don't think it's gonna be the traditional "Big 7" Justice League.

DC is dumb but I don't think they are dumb enough to announce the return of the JL one week after they announced they announced that the new status quo would be a DCU without the JL (in Nightwing #100).
    Really!? Doesn't surprise me at at all. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    Cancelled,huh? Oh,well. As for Beast Boy? Did anyone mention Yazz!? LOL Let's not kid ourselves. there have been plenty of questionable members.
    G'nort. Nuff said.

But it seems to me that people tend to forget or ignore those rosters these days. In the minds of a lot of fans the League is the Big 7 (they're allowed to bring an old friend or two sometimes, like Ollie or Palmer); anything else is seen as a downgrade, or temporary/unimportant (at best) or a stunt/gimmick (at worst). Even including Black Adam and Hippolyta was seen as a big departure outside the norm, and they're just diet versions of Diana and Billy!

Pushing the NTT as the top elite team in the DCU is gonna be a hard sell for DC, and that's a problem. They've locked themselves into a strict hierarchy the fans won't let them break out of easily. If fans should accept anyone as the equals to the Big 7, it's the adult Titans. Far as I'm concerned most of them proved equal to the League long ago, even if DC didn't always let them act like it. But DC has everyone in the habit of looking at the League like a pantheon of gods now, and just like no one is allowed to truly be stronger than Clark or smarter than Bruce, no team is allowed to match the Big 7 JLA.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    G'nort. Nuff said.

But it seems to me that people tend to forget or ignore those rosters these days. In the minds of a lot of fans the League is the Big 7 (they're allowed to bring an old friend or two sometimes, like Ollie or Palmer); anything else is seen as a downgrade, or temporary/unimportant (at best) or a stunt/gimmick (at worst). Even including Black Adam and Hippolyta was seen as a big departure outside the norm, and they're just diet versions of Diana and Billy!

Pushing the NTT as the top elite team in the DCU is gonna be a hard sell for DC, and that's a problem. They've locked themselves into a strict hierarchy the fans won't let them break out of easily. If fans should accept anyone as the equals to the Big 7, it's the adult Titans. Far as I'm concerned most of them proved equal to the League long ago, even if DC didn't always let them act like it. But DC has everyone in the habit of looking at the League like a pantheon of gods now, and just like no one is allowed to truly be stronger than Clark or smarter than Bruce, no team is allowed to match the Big 7 JLA.
    Oh, trust me,I know. New characters,teams,etc. are sometimes hard for readers to accept. Remember Infinity,Inc? The team mostly comprised of JSA relatives? Or legacy characters, if you want to call them that? But I still think any team works best with a few top names and then those you can do a lot more with,i.e. your B-listers on down.

Oh, trust me,I know. New characters,teams,etc. are sometimes hard for readers to accept. Remember Infinity,Inc? The team mostly comprised of JSA relatives? Or legacy characters, if you want to call them that? But I still think any team works best with a few top names and then those you can do a lot more with,i.e. your B-listers on down.
    Yeah, a team book with nothing but A-listers is hard to write. It's just easier to write when you don't need to worry about it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, a team book with nothing but A-listers is hard to write. It's just easier to write when you don't need to worry about it.
    As someone else pointed out- and sorry if you already know this- the sort of funny thing is that when the Justice League of America started certain characters most consider A listers were put on the team because they were not that at all! e.g. Aquaman,Martian Manhunter.

As someone else pointed out- and sorry if you already know this- the sort of funny thing is that when the Justice League of America started certain characters most consider A listers were put on the team because they were not that at all! e.g. Aquaman,Martian Manhunter.
    Yeah true. Lots of characters become more popular because they're in a team book.

Infinity, Inc. actually did pretty well back in the '80s, lasting four and a half years.
    And this was after the rug was pulled out from under the book halfway through the run, which retconned the entire first year and half of the series.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Infinity, Inc. actually did pretty well back in the '80s, lasting four and a half years.
    And this was after the rug was pulled out from under the book halfway through the run, which retconned the entire first year and half of the series.
    Oh,really? Yeah, that's pretty good.
    What was this, the Dallas t.v. show!? lol