Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^I can see that.
    Its hard to to get fans to accept a non Trinity team.
    Dick Grayson is arguably the closest one can get to being a Trinity character without actually being a Trinity character.

DCOIE was designed to build up Nightwing and he did perform well in the story, BUT the ending had Michael Holt narrating the results with various characters with a group of heroes. Now, if Nightwing was going to be a major player, then having him handle the assessment was a much better story finish for him than going off with Batman.

I'd like to see Grayson play a huge DCU role. He's not Batman level, but pretty damn close. He also has a charismatic and inspirational leadership talent which is what makes Superman more than just another flying brick. Although he comes up short against the World's Finest duo, his possession of both of those aspects is something neither Bruce nor Clark have.

If Dick does get a JL type team, it would need an innovative and explosive pull like the start of the DeMatteis/Giffen/Maguire run. IMHO, of course.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    But now it's intrinsically linked to 5G and thus tainted. You don't validate bad ideas like 5G by cherry-picking parts of it and saying "Let's use this and hope everybody forgets where we got it from."
    I pay close attention to comic book news and i never heard this Justice Alliance name.
    Most people wouldn't make that connection.

And they are have been already cherry-picking stuff from 5G anyways.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Dick Grayson is arguably the closest one can get to being a Trinity character without actually being a Trinity character.

DCOIE was designed to build up Nightwing and he did perform well in the story, BUT the ending had Michael Holt narrating the results with various characters with a group of heroes. Now, if Nightwing was going to be a major player, then having him handle the assessment was a much better story finish for him than going off with Batman.

I'd like to see Grayson play a huge DCU role. He's not Batman level, but pretty damn close. He also has a charismatic and inspirational leadership talent which is what makes Superman more than just another flying brick. Although he comes up short against the World's Finest duo, his possession of both of those aspects is something neither Bruce nor Clark have.

If Dick does get a JL type team, it would need an innovative and explosive pull like the start of the DeMatteis/Giffen/Maguire run. IMHO, of course.
    ^^^SO well put.
    Esp. the fact that Dick does have aspects of both Batman and Superman.

To me a Nightwing led JL team would need to play up those aspects, and highlight how he’s seen by the rest of the superhero community.

The above’s from The Brave & The Bold 15, circa 2008 or so, and gives Dick the props he so very much deserves.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    He lead the team for a arc in the first time and then he was Batman the second time. and the book ended with Flashpoint.

True but for the 2nd time, there were many fan complaints about the roster and sales were steadily decreasing. I'm pretty sure that if the book had lasted another year, it would have devolved in sales to near cancellation and then DC would have done a roster change to spice things up.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    True but for the 2nd time, there were many fan complaints about the roster and sales were steadily decreasing. I'm pretty sure that if the book had lasted another year, it would have devolved in sales to near cancellation and then DC would have done a roster change to spice things up.
    Well, before James Robinson the league had a book with all the usual suspects that didn't do much in terms of sales too. It's true, his book sales were declining but they were declining across the board at the time. Also, to be frank, it was not that good.

But Robinson also complained about the roster cause he could never have what he wanted, really. That roster that got heavily advertised didn't last an arc cause of the editorial interference. Names like Hal Jordan, Cyborg, Green Arrow and Mon-El never got to be in the team, really. He wanted Wally West, they gave him Jessie Quick. And so on. The only ones that were there from beginning to end were Dick, Donna and, funnily enough, Congorilla.

But sales have nothing to do with Nightwing leading the team. He sells more than 80% of the LJA anyways.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member

That was never in the cards. Because Johns/Lee was going to take over regardless of the reboot. Robinson's run was a stopgap at best.

Well, before James Robinson the league had a book with all the usual suspects that didn't do much in terms of sales too. It's true, his book sales were declining but they were declining across the board at the time. Also, to be frank, it was not that good.

But Robinson also complained about the roster cause he could never have what he wanted, really. That roster that got heavily advertised didn't last an arc cause of the editorial interference. Names like Hal Jordan, Cyborg, Green Arrow and Mon-El never got to be in the team, really. He wanted Wally West, they gave him Jessie Quick. And so on. The only ones that were there from beginning to end were Dick, Donna and, funnily enough, Congorilla.

But sales have nothing to do with Nightwing leading the team. He sells more than 80% of the LJA anyways.
    Absolutely it was another Berganza editorial drive-by like the McDuffie League.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Id say Justice Alliance is good.

Or simply Titans of Justice or Justice League: Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    But now it's intrinsically linked to 5G and thus tainted. You don't validate bad ideas like 5G by cherry-picking parts of it and saying "Let's use this and hope everybody forgets where we got it from."
    It can't be tainted when it was never used and majority don't know about it.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 01-15-2023 at 07:16 PM.

Astonishing Member

All modern superhero stories are centered around cherry picking. No one just accepts franchise and characters warts and all, it's part of why the stories are just fanfiction.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I just can't really see the League as having 'a mission'.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

True but for the 2nd time, there were many fan complaints about the roster and sales were steadily decreasing.
    I mean the roster was pretty bad, it is just not the Justice league if it is mostly made up of C and D listers.

I'm not sure that this team could be successful in the long run. As Brian stated, Nightwing has lead the Justice League twice before and the 2nd time, Donna, Jesse Quick, and Supergirl were along for the ride which made the roster seem very Titans-esque. Neither time did the book last more than a few years without DC needing to bring back the big guns.
    These things generally aren't meant to last for the long run, but long enough to make the old seem new again.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I don't disagree with any of that. In fact, I love the stories that Robinson told in that run even though the roster wasn't perfect(I never cared for that version of Starman and Congorilla was meh...). The art was really good as well. It's a shame that Robinson didn't get more of the characters that he wanted to use. I still wonder why Dr. Light didn't stick around as she wasn't being used in any other books at the time.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I don't know what dc is doing with nightwing's JL but I'm sure what ever it is it'll have Jon and Yara involved.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

With much of Dark Crisis already being ignored, when it comes time to reform the league will editorial even make them follow up on the plot thread of Dick being in charge of the new league?

I'm not opposed to Dick leading the League mind you, but given how other creatives have openly mocked Dark Crisis in their books already I could see DC not developing that plot any further.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 01-16-2023 at 06:45 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I don't disagree with any of that. In fact, I love the stories that Robinson told in that run even though the roster wasn't perfect(I never cared for that version of Starman and Congorilla was meh...). The art was really good as well. It's a shame that Robinson didn't get more of the characters that he wanted to use. I still wonder why Dr. Light didn't stick around as she wasn't being used in any other books at the time.
    I was stoked when that league was announced, even if the writer was James Robinson and he was coming off his Cry for Justice story that stinks.

But with all the changes, i never got attached to the book. It has it's moments, but i found it uneven. But knowing now all the job the editorial was doing against him, i can't really fault the guy.
    Last edited by Drako; 01-16-2023 at 04:59 AM.